[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't this bigger? Definitely my favourite solo album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Avey900.jpg (533KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Avey900.jpg
533KB, 900x900px
Why isn't this bigger? Definitely my favourite solo album from the boys.

(Down There by Avey Tare)
>>
>>73109760

it's really good but feels a little incomplete

my theory is Avey got over the depression half way through making it and lost motivation to tinker with it more, could have been a 9/10 rather than a 7/10 - 8/10
>>
>>73109773
I think being depressed rather would make it more difficult to refine. cemeteries is really great
>>
>>73109788

the depression/sadness was what was driving it... as soon as he saw the light at the end of the tunnel the album probably became less interesting to him to work on

Down There: 8/10
The Downward Spiral: 9/10
>>
>>73109804

just to illustrate, meticulousness pays off
>>
>>73109773
Incomplete how? I think I know what you mean and maybe I think the same but could you elaborate? Like exactly what do you find is missing and how would it be complete?
>>
>>73109884

more detail, more distortion, maybe more use of guitar and drums, etcetcetc

maybe some actual alligator sounds and maybe one or two more tracks
>>
I listen to it every time I'm sick. Can't listen to it when I'm healthy.
>>
>>73109930

for example Sleep Cycle is a solid 8/10 maybe almost a 9/10, it has varying tracks which use different instrumentation and very different tempos

I think the strength of Down There is sadly also what limits its potential... it's so committed to slow, wet, and murky sounds, conceptually, that it doesn't break that mold which grows pretty stale by the time the last two tracks (which are the two best tracks on the album, thankfully), start up
>>
>>73109930
>>73109967

I see what you mean but disagree, especially on guitars and drums. Alligator sounds might have been cool though. Just how committed to the aesthetic and how cohesive it all is it's one of its biggest strengths imo, and I don't really think it limits its potential at all and in fact it really sets it apart from other albums. I think it drags a tiny little bit towards the middle section, but the runtime is so short it's never enough to get bored. One or two more tracks would really not help its case in any way imo. Agree that the last two tracls (I think they were meant to be just the one originally) are the best.

Oh and I personally like it a lot better than Sleep Cycle, though I also enjoy that one. SC might be more varied musically (not that I think that's necessarily better), but DT I find very powerful emotionally, but maybe that's just bcs I'm a s a d b o y.
>>
>>73110020
>bcs I'm a s a d b o y

so am I, and part of me prefers Down There conceptually to Sleep Cycle, but after making the effort to be more objective about the basic quality of the two, I think it's at best a tie and and worst Sleep Cycle clearly the superior solo effort

strangely enough Deakin had a hand in Down There, you can even hear a little bit of it's influence in the darker parts of SC
>>
>>73110046
>it's

I meant "its", I clearly need to fall asleep

Sleep Cycle (no pun intended) here I come
>>
>>73110046
>>73110055

>making the effort to be more objective about the basic quality of the two

Why though? Like who cares if you think SC is "objectively" superior if DT has a bigger emotional impact on you and why should your ratings reflect that? I don't get the whole "trying to be objective" attitude when it comes to personal ratings.

Also lel sleep tight.
>>
>>73110087

It's about recognizing the quality of work and acknowledging the effort put into the final product.
>>
>>73110175
Yeah but this isn't buying a computer. Specs don't mean shit imo if one does something for you and one doesn't. I don't like being cold and analytical about this sort of thing. I listen to music for feels.
>>
>>73110227

Feels is nice, but it isn't everything.

It's like when people break down their reviews for video games into:

GRAPHICS
SOUND
GAMEPLAY
STORY

your "feeling' literally has nothing to do with those 4 factors, but it is likely that it is a side effect of a "relatively" high score in all 4 or at least 3 of those areas

the "aftertaste", if you will, is what you are calling the most important factor

but it isn't, even if it is the final thing you hold on to after the album is over
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.