[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This album was like Marcel Duchamp's Urinal of this year.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: a0249360790_10.jpg (219KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a0249360790_10.jpg
219KB, 1200x1200px
This album was like Marcel Duchamp's Urinal of this year. People praised it because of it's circumstances, and it's delivery, it's message. But the actual music here, much like Duchamp's Urinal, is uninteresting. The album from a musical standpoint is shit, its nothing interesting what so ever. People just flocked to it because of the album's circumstances and because the message was so profound. Just like Duchamp and his urinal.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying. If you have a listener this album and didn't tell them about what happened before it, they would rate it very low. It's not very interesting musically.
>>
>>73109674
Pretty much every positive review of the album I've read acknowledges that though. I understand what you're getting at with the Fountain analogy but it's pretty misguided because of intent, meaning and significance.
>>
>>73109715
Can you elaborate?

I'm not well educated in art, I mean shit I just learned it was called Fountain from you, but what am I missing, why is how I'm thinking misguided?
>>
>>73109674
bad cover
>>
>>73109674
context is everything
>>
>>73109674

The songs/poems are actually really well written. OP is just a party pooping piece of shit.
>>
>>73109674

Nothing ever exists in a vacuum.
>>
>>73109735
I think your analogy is somewhat valid in comparing the fact that the work is appreciated because of its circumstances rather than the work itself, but I think all the connotations Fountain carries make it a misguided analogy. Fountain is a readymade with the intention of ~creating discussion~ about the nature of art, our perception, blahblah (with a good dose of le edgy trelling if you ask me), whereas A Crow Looked at Me is an incredibly personal creative work of art some dude made to cope with a traumatic event and grieve. One is just le edgy subversive piece whereas the other one is just someone whose wife died pouring out all his feelings in an incredibly visceral and earnest way. All the artistic merit of Fountain, if any, is symbolic and interpretative whereas A Crow Look at Me, while I agree that it's not terribly interesting musically, is an amazing piece of art in the traditional sense because of its content (lyrically more so than musically), but I agree context helps appreciate its magnitude.

I don't wanna elaborate more though because I don't like Fountain and talking about it at all (as you can see from my really biased explanation). I think that covers what I mean though.
>>
>>73109674
I just realized music is shit. Not from this post alone but it helped.
0% irony.
>>
>>73109849
>arbitrary pretentiousness - the post
>>
>>73109849

if music was shit it wouldn't be the primary source of joy in most people's lives

I encourage you to read up on Arthur Schopenhauer's theory of music
>>
>>73109855
Have no idea what you meant.
Just need my benzos right now.
>>
>>73109879

it means exactly what it states
>>
File: 1490989960987.png (76KB, 662x413px) Image search: [Google]
1490989960987.png
76KB, 662x413px
>>73109837
Man honestly that's really spot on. I didn't think of that at all. You can see where I'm coming from, and I appreciate you seeing that, but you are completely right. Duchamp was trying to ask a question, the guy from Mount Eerie was literally spilling his guts. Much more weight given to the later, ofcourse.

Thanks for the reply that was great. I like Fountain personally, but I don't know shit about art, I see it as like some punk rock statement, but to each their own I guess (that's what the piece was about anyway right?).

Thanks.
>>
I wAnt to listen to give this a try but I can't get past the first song. He's said something along the lines of "don't make this into art" or some shit like that. Is this whole album full of hypocritical bullshit?
>>
>>73109871
>Schopenhauer
Why would anyone read that disgusting, misogynistic piece of shit? baka
>>
>>73110086
what's wrong with Schopenhauer?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.