[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was this album so fucking acclaimed back when it came out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Why was this album so fucking acclaimed back when it came out? Critics claimed it was U2's third masterpiece, was on all the year end lists, it won several and was nominated for a billion Grammys, and was included in the "1001 Albums You Must Hear" book.

17 years later, the tide has turned and most people agree that this album and U2 were never very good at all
>>
>>73074685
memes aside, this album is nowhere near as good as zooropa or pop
>>
>>73074685
>>73074707
Joshua Tree is their masterpiece wtf. Like at least 100x better than War, Pop, Zooropa, or whatever.

p4k was on point with the score for this tho.
>>
I think it has to do with the optimism people felt in the early 2000s before 9/11, like it was the dawn of a new millennium and anything was possible (an attitude typified by "Beautiful Day").

9/11 made people more jaded and turned them against sappy arena rock like U2.
>>
File: NTsOF.jpg (62KB, 464x296px) Image search: [Google]
NTsOF.jpg
62KB, 464x296px
>>73074756
>anything was possible

>See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
>See the oil fields at first light
>What you don't have you don't need it now
>Don't need it now
>Was a beautiful day
>>
i think normies were just relieved that u2 weren't being weird anymore, like dicking around with techno and tape loops and dressing up like the village people. they felt like they got "their" u2 back, doing a safe going-back-to-our-roots blockbuster album. it's a classic, rock-solid narrative that eventually overshadowed the actual music

people always rag on pop, but i think the ATYCLB era has aged far worse in every respect
>>
They did a reverse radiohead the year radiohead did a radiohead
>>
>>73074756
>early 2000s before 9/11, like it was the dawn of a new millennium and anything was possible

Fuck... to think that we're barely 17 years into the century and it already feels so tired and rotten.
>>
>>73074685
>elite music companies/publications
>people
>>
>>73074685
>U2 is a big band
>You are a big company like Rolling Stone Magazine, Grammys, MTV, etc.
>Your livelihood depends on people reading/watching your shit
>Your profession is basically leeching off the audience of popular entertainers
>You say good things about U2 so their big fanbase will give you money

You just got redpilled on how the music industry works, how does it feel?
>>
>>73074756
Except that U2 has had its biggest success after 9/11

That said, critics have always sucked ass in regards to rating U2, they always pick out their worst, safest albums as the "best" (Leave Behind, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby)

They do actually have some good albums (like Boy, Zooropa or Rattle and Hum) but nothing great unfortunately
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.