[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: albums you didn't appreciate until you learned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: kid a.jpg (209KB, 1040x1041px) Image search: [Google]
kid a.jpg
209KB, 1040x1041px
ITT: albums you didn't appreciate until you learned the story behind them
>>
File: let it be.jpg (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
let it be.jpg
66KB, 600x600px
>>73068531
>>
What story is there behind this besides Thom's mental breakdown and deciding to pick lyrics out of a hat?
>>
>>73069129
War anxiety.
>>
>>73069129
That's interesting though. He had a mental breakdown and decided to effectively recreate the bands image
>>
File: Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg (26KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel_Johnston-Hi_How_Are_You.jpg
26KB, 220x340px
>>
File: Leaves.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Leaves.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>
>>73069506
yes but it's a shame he had to base every album after kid a after kid a
>>
why would knowing the history behind an album change my opinion on it?
>>
>>73068531
I thought that was a photo of a KKK rally until I got a better close up look.
>>
>>73069788
It can help you understand the songs more instead of just saying "well this is just shit".

Take Trout Mask Replica for example. At 1st listen, I thought it was shit and I didn't understand all the praise. After that, I've read about the chaotic rehearsal sessions between Beefheart and his band, and now I understand more why people enjoy the incoherent nightmarish feeling of this album. I still think it's shit, though.

One album that I truly appreciated with more knowledge is A Moon Shaped Pool. You take in mind the fact that the production took place at a moment where Thom Yorke had a divorce, and you feel the songs in a harder way, especially Glass Eyes and True Love Waits. Of course, you'd also have to feel the same sentiments as Thom.
>>
File: cover[1].jpg (76KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover[1].jpg
76KB, 500x500px
>>
File: 808s_&_Heartbreak.png (63KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
808s_&_Heartbreak.png
63KB, 300x299px
>>73069788
Pic related is an example. It's a drastically different direction sonically for Kanye. Lots of people hated it, it seemed like Kanye was going full on pop star and leaving behind hip-hop. Sappy breakup songs and lots of bad singing.

However, once I learned a little bit of context, the album opened up to me. His mom suddenly passed away a few months ago. Then, his fiancee and girlfriend of 5 years broke it off with him, and it was messy. Also, he was quickly becoming a celebrity, and he was constantly harassed by the media.

So knowing all that, I can appreciate the album even though it's still not a favorite. I respect the fact that Kanye couldn't just release a rap album again because he needed to express what he was going through by singing, even if his voice is grating.

>>73069916
Also this.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.