[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you approve of people remixing old albums? Are people going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: sgt pepper.jpg (191KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sgt pepper.jpg
191KB, 1280x720px
Do you approve of people remixing old albums?
Are people going to be listening to these proper stereo remixes now, or will they listen to the old versions?

I'm all for remastering songs, but officially remixing them is like colorizing a black and white film.
>>
If the mixing is shit originally, then yes
>>
File: 1495954234703.jpg (1MB, 1242x1744px) Image search: [Google]
1495954234703.jpg
1MB, 1242x1744px
Reminder
>>
File: 05.jpg (40KB, 480x285px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
40KB, 480x285px
>>73065362
Do you also approve of this?
>>
>>73065339
Sgt. Pepper desperately needed a remix and so does most of The Beatles' catalog. In this case I would say it's justified, but if the mixing on the albums being remixed were already decent enough then it probably doesn't need to be done. A lot of music from the 60's and earlier was produced primarily in mono, which isn't the industry standard anymore and the stereo versions were lazily thrown together, so you could make a case for remixing a lot of older mono albums into updated stereo versions.
>>
>>73065433
No, that diminishes from what made the original good
What I mean is, take for example Raw Power. If they were to make a remix of that which improved the production quality over either the Bowie or Iggy mixes of it, I would have no problem as that as it could only serve to improve the listenability of the product.
>>
>>73065533
It's just the rights owners squeezing out even more money out of the albums.
>>
>>73065665
That may be true that they do it for more money, but if it results in a better product then who gives a fuck?
>>
>>73065665
if people want it and will buy it there's nothing wrong with that lol
>>
>>73065433
That's completely irrelevant, it's more like a movie going from VHS to Blu-Ray
>>
File: 1496104071534.jpg (38KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1496104071534.jpg
38KB, 657x527px
I consider sgt pepper to be an exception because it was meant to be the state of the art at the time and >IT TOOK 700 HOURS TO MAKE

so it totally fits with the sound and the aim and everything that anyone who was part of or like the beatles wants. hence zero objections from literally anyone to this new mix

but like take Velvet Underground & Nico for instance, from the same year. being a little rough around the edges is definitely part of the experience and TBPH despite the lower fidelity recording it's a work that sounds a lot less dated than sgt pepper
>>
>>73065397
The next logical step would be the 2014 mono remaster
>>
mono > new stereo > original stereo
>>
>>73065589
You're an idiot. One piece of art existing doesn't "take away" from another piece of art. You will have all of these versions of the same album available. Just because it "diminishes" the original for you doesn't mean it doesn't enhance those albums for many other people. One isn't replacing the other! Music isn't a competition and it can all exist together.
>>
The new mix is good. I'm not sure if I like it better than the old one, which I never had much of a problem with. I tend to only have opinions on these things if I've listened to them like 300 times like Skylarking.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.