[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into pic related? I've listened to and liked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5933.jpg (66KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5933.jpg
66KB, 300x300px
How do I get into pic related? I've listened to and liked jazz before (like Charles Mingus) but this is a little difficult since each track is so long, it's kind of hard to follow
>>
The thing about BB is that it's not very structured at all. It's basically free improvisation in a rock mindset and most rock fans (like Fantano) just like the groove of it.
It's a significant release because of its unique approach to Fusion
>>
>>73047344
Hmm gotcha. Is there other Miles Davis that I should maybe hear first to put something like this in context?

I do like the groove of it from what I've heard so far though
>>
My breakthrough with this record was realizing there's two separate drummers playing at the same time. At first I thought the groove was just a repetitive sguffle but I realize the detail which carried me through the record enough for it to click
>>
Don't try to over think it or look for some deeper meaning. A lot of it is like most jazz where there is the main soloist and the rhythm section is grooving on the chord changes a lot of it is a back and forth between those two components and playing off each other, any of these songs could really go on forever with this amazing line up and amazing synergy.
>>
>>73047533
Right on, I'll just chill with it for a while then and give it a few listens
>>
>>73047410
Try Miles in the Sky
>>
>>73047410
I'd recommend listening to: In A Silent Way. It's kind of similar to BB and you can see him leading up to this point it's also an incredible listen that you should check out anyways
>>
>>73047592
>>73047575
Cool, thanks dudes I'll definitely check them out here next when I finish this. Planning on listening to Kind of Blue at some point tonight as well.
>>
>>73047642
No problem, Kind of Blue is an amazing album as well, also has an incredible line up and can lead you into all sorts of places jazz wise. It has one of my favorite recordings of Paul Chambers and compared to BB it's much more traditional Jazz, has all of my favorite players for their instruments like, Jon Coltrane, Bill Evans and Paul Chambers who all have amazing discographies of their own too which I'd recommend checking out if you're planning to dive into Jazz
>>
>>73047714
Kind of Blue is far from traditional jazz
>>
>>73048090
Well besides So What being a modal tune, it's fairly basic be-bop, unless you're think of traditional Jazz like more Count Basie or Ellington kind of stuff like big band and swing
>>
>>73048407
Just to get the record straight, Kind of Blue isnt traditional jazz or bebop; however, it is definitely reminiscent of the style of jazz that was the most commercially viable in the 60s. Good example is Charlie Brown Christmas

But anyways, I really think for /mu/tants, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the best intro to jazz. The hardest part about jazz for outsiders is usually being able to listen for the interactions between musicians. Black Saint has incredible solos and interplay, but also has a distinctly progressive form which might be comfortable for /mu/tants since prog rock and concept albums are often discussed here
>>
>>73049072
Heh yeah that was the first jazz record I ever listened to (Mingus), and I loved it, so I agree that's a good starting point for jazz.
>>
>>73047281

Great album to get high to.
>>
Herbie Hancock's fusion stuff explored a lot of the same ideas without being so dense and free-flowing, I'd give that a listen. Some of Davis' other fusion stuff is also easier to get into, check out some of his live material from the 1970s.
>>
>>73049348
Yeah Sextant and Head Hunters are the shit, even though Sextant is borderline electronica
>>
>>73049072
So what is so what, this may just me not being familiar with this type of Jazz and I assume traditional Jazz is more ragtime and dixieland and be-bop being more artists like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie but, is Kind of Blue just modal or what? just to make sure I correct myself properly
>>
>>73049493 So what is kind of blue*
>>
>>73049493
>>73049557
Yes it's modal jazz. Honestly Kind of Blue is hard to categorize because it has one foot in modal and the other foot in hard bop. The whole reason it's considered so influential is because it foreshadowed modal jazz, which in 1959 wasn't even a genre yet but merely a new way of playing that only the most forward thinking jazz players were exploring

But yeah modal lol
>>
>>73049493
It's some of the hippest shit ever recorded, all the musicians were coming from a very different place (Miles was playing cool, Coltrane had just come up with his Coltrane changes, Adderley was dong a boogaloo kind of thing almost, Bill Evans was "white", and Cobb+Chambers were anchors) so I find the music to be pretty genre-less other than being the start of modal music.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.