[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I really want to make music, but I don't know how to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: MyBloodyValentineLoveless600-2.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MyBloodyValentineLoveless600-2.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
So I really want to make music, but I don't know how to play any instruments. I'm 20 and I feel like it's kinda late to learn an instrument. Is this possible without musical knowledge? I feel guilty that I listen to so much music, yet have no idea how any of it is made.
>>
20 is not too late. michael gira didnt even touch a guitar or anything until 28
>>
>>73041186
>michael gira

who is that guy? I'm not memeing, genuinely asking.
>>
>>73041136
not too late, but HURRY THE FUCK UP! you still have some brain plasticity, the closer you get to 25 the harder it gets
>>
>>73041214
michael gira of the critically acclaimed swans.

also I think the story is kim gordon didn't really know much about guitar and started sonic youth around 28yo

who else, I mean brian eno had literally no musical talents to begin with and he was in his 20s

as a matter of fact you have a head start on most people waste their creative lives in fruitless collaborations of bands that just fall apart
>>
>>73041275
Michael Gira isn't human.
>>
>>73041275
>as a matter of fact you have a head start on most people waste their creative lives in fruitless collaborations of bands that just fall apart

loveless is obviously an influence for you. you can start making good music with this gear:

1)alesis hr-16
2)squier vintage modified jazzmaster
3)sm57 microphone
4)tascam 424mkii.
5)samson sr950 headphones.
6)guitar pedals. don't go crazy with this just yet, you just need some overdrive/distortion pedals and a reverb/delay
>>
>>73041136
if you have any sense of rythym and basic music theory you're good
>>
>>73041485
Not op, but do you think I can "learn" sense of rhythm?
>>
>>73041425
Not OP, but I'm also a 19 yo who loves shoegaze and wants to get into making music. This shit is so expensive, I'm afraid of wasting a lot of money and then getting bored or unmotivated or something like that. Is there no alternative? All I have is an acoustic guitar I can barely play, a good computer and a lot of free time
>>
>>73041520
Decide which instrument you want to play, get a teacher and improvise. That's the only way to learn. Read this:
http://www.fripp.com/he-was-left-handed-tone-deaf-and-had-no-sense-of-rhythm/
>>
>>73041520
you just have it naturally if you listen to lots of music. there's literally not much to it
>>
>>73041520
as long as you don't have some major brain damage in your cerebellum.
>>
>>73041589
Never knew that about Fripp, guy is a beast, him and Lake in the first two albums of King Crimson are unforgettable.
>>
Your attitude is a bigger problem than your age. If you wanted to do it and had the passion for it you'd already be teaching yourself, not tentatively asking for permission and help.
>>
>>73041214
He was George Michael in the show Arrested Development. Since then he's had a string of successful movie roles, and for some of those he had to learn how to play the guitar.
>>
>>73041710
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahsaan_Roland_Kirk
Read about this madman's life too. And consider this:
>>73041764
>>
>>73041553
music gear has resale value. its not that expensive if you think of it like this. and even them all the things i listed are on the absolute lowest end of the spectrum

the tascam 424 might have actual skyrocketted in price im not sure, but just a find a recordign console that works, using a computer is just too much bullshit. submenus driver updates non intuitive features, it really kills the workflow in the most valuable period of your creative career where you are finding things out for the first time.
>>
>>73041850
You got me wrong with the attitude thing. I was just wondering if you can learn it... I like to sing, but it's objectively horrible (both rhythm and key).
Not a big enough part of my life to care and work hard to improve though, there are people much better at that than me and I will gladly listen to them...
>>
>>73041974
>Not a big enough part of my life to care and work hard to improve though, there are people much better at that than me and I will gladly listen to them...
I'm not the one who made a point about attitude, but I can see that he's right. If you have to make music in order to be happy, nothing will stop you. I don't think that's the case for you, hence the attitude.
>>
Kim Deal didn't know how to play bass when she joined Pixies, you'll be fine
>>
>>73042193
You're sort of right, I took it the wrong way since listening to music is enough for me to be happy, but shit gets chaotic with more people posting I guess.
>>
>>73041425
its dumb to think that you need the gear of the artist to sound like him
>>
>>73041425

OP here, thanks anon. This was all the motivation I needed. I need to be good at SOMETHING in my life, and music is my passion. I'm gonna start ASAP
>>
>>73041214
The mind behind Swans. He has pretty impressive solo acoustic albums too.
>>
>>73041553
friend you gotta record some noise over noise you've recorded. there's a good chance you won't really like it, but that's alright just do it again and again until you've learned a bit about what you like, then keep learning until you're dead
>>
>>73041214
famous rapist
>>
there's no such thing as too late man just learn how to use something whether its instruments or computer software or a combination of them and just start making shit. i think all beginners should start with piano so if i was you i'd start with that, guitar and go from there
>>
Im 21 and I just started teaching myself to play guitar this year
First couple weeks are rough when you feel like you barely make any progress but it gets better after a while
>>
>>73042530
i believe the term is rappers actually
>>
>>73042974
Good to know. How did you get past the "switching chords" hurdle most beginners seem to have? I always have trouble with that, guess you just need to practice until you know each chord by muscle memory.
>>
>>73043083
Im still getting comfortable with switching chords, right now im playing the intro to Karma Police over and over for example
It has some relatively easy chord switches to practice
>>
Just wanted to point out that this thread was actually decent and helpful, it makes me happy. /mu/ can be pretty shit most of the time.

Also, if you want to make your own music, don't obsess too much about sounding like the bands and albums you really like, try to make your music truly your own. Imagine what you would like to hear the most, and capture that sound. It's difficult, but nobody said shit was easy.
>>
>>73043510
> Just wanted to point out that this thread was actually decent and helpful, it makes me happy. /mu/ can be pretty shit most of the time.

Yeah, what the hell. I was hanging around on this thread and the /shugazi/ one and for a while I forgot I was on /mu/.

My biggest problem is exactly sounding too much like the bands and albums I like. I actively try to avoid it but I keep subconsciously copying them
>>
>>73043624
>My biggest problem is exactly sounding too much like the bands and albums I like
Well, if you're inspired by djent and black metal musicians, it's become a parody of itself at this point. Everyone can get a 7 string guitar a make epic djent songs. Good luck copying or even coming close to the sound of Zappa or Brian Eno for example.
>>
On this topic, Is it stupid to learn how to play left handed? I'm shit with my hands as it is and a guy I know (yeah I know, it's a dumb source but he's pretty knowledgeable) says that he wished he played left handed because he has no tone from learning right.
>>
>>73041764
Is there any way to develop a different attitude? Can you just make yourself motivated? I'm willing to try.
>>
>>73041136
You can always learn an instrument between 5-40, maybe later depending on intelligence, but it is what you do with that knowledge that matters.
>>
>>73041136
>No musical knowledge
>Likes MBV

Story checks out
>>
>>73041553
>I'm afraid of wasting a lot of money and then getting bored or unmotivated or something like that
If you even think of this just don't bother to start.
>>
>>73045638
Great comment
Just as good as this one
>>
>>73045638

lmao @ your "elitism". Music is just music bruh. Everyone likes what they like.
>>
>>73041136

That nigga Ryu Fukui or whatever taught himself piano starting at 22 and made a really popular jazz album 6 years later. You may not be as prodigious, but it's entirely possible to learn an instrument. It's more difficult if you've never touched one before, definitely, but still possible
>>
>>73042321
If you do 2.75 hours a day you will get your 10000 in only ten years . Don't let people w painkillers get in your way.

>>73042278
Kevin shields never used any of that equipment. I was merely illustrating how small and simplest setup you would need to start making your own songs.
>>
>>73041839
nice kok
>>
>>73045317
There is no difference in tone I don't understand any advantages to being left handed. Especially with jazz masters and Jaguars the guitars are more expensive when you are left handed
>>
>>73042530
The allegations were totally bogus btw. It's crazy she just jealous of his recent explosion in success
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.