[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fifteen minute field recording outro track I actively avoided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>fifteen minute field recording outro track

I actively avoided labelling this album as obnoxiously pretentious for 40 minutes but this is unforgiveabley try-hard. Someone justify why this board loves it so much.
>>
Pity.
>>
>>73032394
Pity for a once obscure math rock band who's attempt at a high concept edgy rock album reeks of insincerity? What a joke
>>
>>73032389
>>fifteen minute field recording outro track

Not part of the original release, just some extra thing for 20+ years re-releases.
>>
>>73032550
I'm glad to hear that. Now I can put it in the trash pile with other unnecessary additions to rereleases.
>>
>>73032389
whys it so hard for you people to just like an album
this album is insignificant but its fine
nothing crazy cause its punk and it cant really be great since its genre limits it
just a bunch of fine songs.
stop being a bitch
>>
>>73032389
Its OK, OP, I finally gave in and listened to it one night. I agree that it is pretentious edgy trash.
>>
>>73032826
>>73032872
I don't even hate the album, I just want to understand why P4k drones and /mu/rants alike worship it so much
>>
>>73032985
It has a very different a approach to rock music, the instrumentals are stripped down and simplistic but the songwriting and atmosphere are top noch. To me this album is still unmatched in what it's doing.
I can agree that the lyrics are edgy though, dosent bother me becuase the instruments complement it so nicely.

>I just want to understand why P4k drones and /mu/rants alike worship it so much
That I can't answer
>>
>>73032826
>nothing crazy 'cause it's punk
What does this even mean? Are you implying there's nothing unique about it?
>>
>>73033186
I expected a masterpiece when I first listened to it and even after listening to remastered versions, it never struck me as anything more than alright.
>>
>>73035536
If you do not believe it is unique, and merely label it as "alright," what do you think stands up to it?
>>
>>73035536
I don't wanna say you don't "get" it. But basically yeah you don't get it at the moment. You will eventually. It's like Loveless or Pet Sounds that way.
>>
Listen to it again
>>
>>73036073
I didn't "get" Loveless for the first time, even though I'm not new to experimental music. As far as Pet Sounds goes - getting jolly pop music, come on.
>>73036046
It may be unique, but something like Eno's Another Green World, Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink, Bob Dylan's Bringing it all back Home, Scott Walker's The Drift are some of the albums I'd consider masterpieces.
>>
>>73032550
>>73032389
I was going to say... I don't remember there being a field recording outtro. I must have the original version.
OP, you probably think it's pretentious because it's posted a lot here, it's really not bad.
>>
>>73036337
do you "get" Loveless now? also pet sounds is more than just jolly pop tunes. for one thing most of the songs aren't jolly
>>
>>73036337
>It may be unique, but something like Eno's Another Green World, Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink, Bob Dylan's Bringing it all back Home, Scott Walker's The Drift are some of the albums I'd consider masterpieces.

You need to step back from what your preconceptions of what a masterpiece is, as well as your preconceptions on what music is/should be. I mean good god, you call it "pretentious" in the OP without any evidence; try-hard. As if anyone should make art without trying hard? You're coming at this from all the wrong ways.
>>
>>73032389
>It creates a super dark atmosphere.
>It has all these jagged riffs and rythms.
>The drum grooves are spectacularly good.
>The lyrics are interesting and fit the music perfectly.
>I don't think any smilar album has been done before or after it. Its unique.

Those are the reasons I like it.
As for the outro track, I havent heard the extended version. I just listen to the 6 track normal album.

I recommend you listen to the Slint E. Its instrumental and will help you catch a vibe for Spiderland.
>>
>>73036374
>do you "get" Loveless now?
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/72598186/#72601262
>>
>>73036411
Slint EP*
>>
File: sn42458.png (230KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sn42458.png
230KB, 1080x1920px
>>73036401
What did I call pretentious? I hate that word and how can you prove I'm OP?
>>
>>73036423
I have no reason to not believe you are OP, but if you are not then alrighty. I defer to this statement:
>You need to step back from what your preconceptions of what a masterpiece is, as well as your preconceptions on what music is/should be
>>
>>73036401
There are more albums I'd consider masterpieces, even though I didn't like them at first. I don't have that mentality. And why are you so mad? I went out of my way not to provoke anyone and have a rational discussion.
>>
>>73036435
>I have no reason to not believe you are OP, but if you are not then alrighty.
Eh, I just provided a screenshot and you're not convinced. Should I have just claimed that I'm not OP and continued to bait you?
>>
>>73036438
Wait, are you OP? I'm confused.
>>
>>73036451
Is this your first day here? If I was OP, the bottom post would've had a (You) next to the (OP).
>>
>>73036450
>and you're not convinced
>but if you are not then alrighty.
>>
>>73036412
I really think you're just looking for an album to be something it's not with Spiderland though.
>>
>>73036458
Could be. I revisited the album and it didn't do much for me. I had the same feeling of being letdown by The Velvet Underground's debut album and my opinion changed drastically.
>>
>>73036456
No it wouldn't. I've made plenty of threads and have never had that.
>>
Lmao lurk more
>>
>liking flint
mama mia
>>
Slint makes much more sense if you listen to 80's hardcore punk and early post-hardcore. It's really quite original and ingenious for its time (recorded in 1990 but the songs were written in the late 80's)
>>
Rodan>flint

>>73036589
I wouldn't say so. My only exposure to music until I heard Spiderland was a shitton of hip-hop, some Metallica albums, and Fausts' first album. With just those in mind I was still amazed and wowed by the compositions. I didn't even care about the lyrics or vocals until my fifth listen or something because I was so engrossed in the guitars and drums.
>>
>>73032389
Just close your eyes when listening and nod to the beat, this is the best piece of drum work ever released
>>
>>73036605
And yet you think rodan is better than slint
>>
File: slintcore.png (732KB, 1006x768px) Image search: [Google]
slintcore.png
732KB, 1006x768px
>>73036589
Here's a pic I made for first listeners of this album. All these albums are on the old essentials list, I sorta just picked the ones that had to do more with Slint. The point of this pic isn't that these albums sound like Spiderland but more that they give you some context into it
>>
I think that with the music that was being made around them during that time combined with the fact that they were still kinda teenagers really makes the album stand out as something different from the over-saturated hardcore scene.
>>
>>73036631
Yes. Jason Nobel's approach to screaming is more harrowing than Brian McMahan's. Rodan's lack of solos is more intriguing and appealing to me. Jeff Mueller's and Jason Noble's guitar interplay is sublime. Tara Jane O'Neil is a much better bassist than whoever the dude was who played on Spiderland. Kevin Coultas is an amazing guitarist and drummer, though I can see why most would prefer Britt's drumming.

>>73036639
Why Four Great Points and not Engine Takes To Water? Where is A Minor Forest's Flemish Altruism? Inindependence?
>>
>>73036655
It's not just something different from the over-staturated scene, even when compared with the few different bands Slint is way more original.

>>73036661
But the song-writing is more original. Though I do love Rodan as well.
And A Minor Forest sucks. It's just a copy of Slint, why bother putting it up there, they didn't even influence anyone notable.
>>
>>73036673
I haven't heard many songs explore sex in the explosive way Rodan does.
>And A Minor Forest sucks. It's just a copy of Slint
That's where you're wrong, friend. A Minor Forest's approach to music is far more playful than Slint ever was, and were more knowledgeable about music to boot. Where A Minor Forest fails/failed was in songwriting. Their compositions, particularly on Flemish Altruism, were far more schizophrenic than anything Slint could ever dish out. Having both the drummer and guitarist screaming at each other for some songs played a large part in that. To call it a ripoff is just plain wrong. Inindependence has drummer Andee Connors giving Britt a run for his money indeed, and moves even further away from Slint with their tape manipulations, double bass inclusion, (they already included a cello on Flemish Altruism), piano, etc.

You're right they never influenced anyone notable, but they're definitely worth checking out if someone enjoyed Spiderland. Math-rock goodness.
>>
>>73036732
That's because A Minor Forest came after bands like Polvo and Don Cab so they have a little of those as well. Still, completely unoriginal, I don't understand the fascination this board has with them.
>>
Fuck slint.
>>
>>73036785
AMF was touring at the same time Polvo was going, so I think it's a misnomer to say they came after them. Plus the guitarist and drummer of AMF were in a metal band together in university, where they both studied music. I'd say they were far more influenced by the likes of Metallica, which they covered live, than Polvo or Don Cab. And even THEN they made the metal sound their own with their lack of wankery solos and focus on unconventional compositions.
>unoriginal
Can't help but disagree. I can't remember a Polvo or Don Cab record that had a song like Perform The Critical Straw Transfer, or ...But The Pants Stay On, or So Jesus Was At The Last Supper, or The Dutch Fist, or The Smell Of Hot, etc. To me it just sounds like you should take another listen of each of their albums to be honest.
>>
>>73036846
>AMF was touring at the same time Polvo was going
What the fuck does this even mean. Polvo started in 1990, AMF started in 1995, it's obvious they were influenced by them. Sure the band members might've known each other beforehand but it's obvious in their music how much Polvo influenced them.
>>
>>73036870
>Polvo started in 1990, AMF started in 1995
Members of AMF knew each other, and played together as far back as '89. They were already touring before their first album in 1996.
>but it's obvious in their music how much Polvo influenced them.
You'll have to point me to a song, otherwise I defer to this statement:
>I can't remember a Polvo or Don Cab record that had a song like Perform The Critical Straw Transfer, or ...But The Pants Stay On, or So Jesus Was At The Last Supper, or The Dutch Fist, or The Smell Of Hot, etc. To me it just sounds like you should take another listen of each of their albums to be honest.

I mean damn you even ignored by point about Metallica. Are you a member of Polvo or something?
>>
>>73032826
It helps if you are anxious and even more so if you are socially anxious.

Don, Aman is my favorite song
>>
>>73038515
Was ment for >>73032985
>>
>>73032389
>>73032550
Not only is not part of any physical release ever, it is only part of the iTunes deluxe edition, which they probably did as a joke because iTunes probably reached out to them for some extra material.
>>
>>73032389
It's significant because a group of fucking KIDS produced one of the most interesting albums of all time. They practically birthed post-rock and defined math-rock. They nailed the "quiet-loud" lyrical/instrumental contrast style better than most grunge acts of the 90s. They were fucking children. The drummer is incredible. The lyrics were written very well, and convey dark subject matter brilliantly.
There are a lot of reasons it is revered. It's not like it is the quintessential musical experience or anything; if you're going into this album expecting that, you've got the wrong mindset.
Just take it for what it is, and admire how a group of literal teenagers were able to create an atmosphere as vivid, disturbing and thought-provoking in Spiderland.

Here's a good video of my favorite song from the album, it showcases the skill of the drummer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96MxID3GK4c

Here's another video of another guy's take on how it impacted the industry. He might be evangelizing it, but imo it's justified.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4oz659c7Zc
>>
>>73032389
>>fifteen minute field recording outro track
thats not the outro track tho
>>
File: Screenshot_20170528-101205.jpg (684KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170528-101205.jpg
684KB, 1440x2560px
>>73036423
>What did I call pretentious?
You have a bad memory. If you are actually OP
>>
>>73032456
>reeks of insincerity?
give one fucking example.
>>
>>73038946
>phoneposters

Watch him try and rationalize his phoneposting.
>>
>>73036673
>And A Minor Forest sucks. It's just a copy of Slint, why bother putting it up there, they didn't even influence anyone notable.
you sound like a brat. if you can't hear the difference in sound and sensibility between slint and amf you're not listening closely enough
>>
>>73038802
pretty much this. Anyone who dismisses slint as another edgy band should get better taste.
>>
>>73038802
All this showcases is the fact that Walford was a cute hipster boy, that's about it my man.

I don't see any amazing skill here.
>>
>>73038946
>You have a bad memory. If you are actually OP
How many times do I have to prove I'm not OP? Do you want a webm now?
>>
>>73032826
if you think spiderland is punk you are a fucking retard
>>
>>73039351
but it's exactly that
>>
>>73039309
If you can't just hear the technicality in his playing from listening to the opening minute of Nosferatu Man then I heavily doubt you know much about music and much less rhythm
He's an incredibly unique drummer, shame his catalog is so small
>>
>>73039416
You're 100% right, I don't know anything about music theory or even know to tell time. I love slint though.

What he is doing does not look very out of this world to me though. Can you explain what he is doing that is very like "unnaturally amazing" or whatever. Thanks man.
>>
People ITT need to realize Spiderland has nothing to do with skill or the way a certain thing sounds but on the song-writing itself which is completely original and unique at the time
>>
>>73039309
Agreed. Overrated. Quit trying to make it something it's not. It sounds like what I would expect a bunch of kids to make.
>>
>>73039510
lol
>>
>>73039510
I agree with this. The technical prowess is a good conversation, but we all know that Slint was Slint because of the sound and atmosphere they created. I guess you could argue that it would take technical skill of their merit to produce that sound and atmosphere, but that is another discussion for another time.
>>
>>73039358
no it isnt
>>
>>73039554
What are you laughing about friend
>>
>>73039562
and yet, it is
if it isn't that, then what is it?
>>
>>73039510
>>73039559
lol
>>
>>73039599
Where's the joke friend?
>>
>>73039351
>>73039358
>>73039562
>>73039582

Spiderland is Post-hardcore, which was inspired by hardcore punk. I wouldn't call it punk per se, but it is definitely born out of the womb of punk music.

Without punk there would be no Slint.
>>
>>73039621
>Spiderland is Post-hardcore, which was inspired by hardcore punk.
post-hardcore IS punk
>>
>>73039599
>>73039599
>>73039599

L O L
>>
>>73039416
Ahh, the old "if you can't see how awesome slint is you don't know anything about music" argument. Old and tired, just like this overrated band/album.
>>
>>73039631
I guess at the most basic level it's "punk", but I wouldn't compare them to many other musicians because they are so drastically different.
>>
>>73039653
punk is just a varied genre that's all
>>
>>73039661
Okay I agree with you now.
>>
>>73039641
but that's just, like, your opinion, man
>>
>>73039506
The syncopated rhythms, odd, drifting time signatures, irregular hi-hat and irregular kick are all entirely intentional and not improvised, and yet he plays it with lightning precision.
It takes almost superhuman coordination to recreate the drum part in Nosferatu Man exactly.
Same goes for every band member, the playing is so naturally virtuosic
>>
>>73039641
Prove me wrong then, or you can continue to make emotionally fueled critiques that have little to do with the actual music like every other faggot who starts a Spiderland thread.
>>
>>73039970
my friends and I had the hardest time covering these songs, too.

Even the production is incredible; it's as if I'm in the studio. I can hear the fingers sliding up and down the necks, the small squeaks of the drums and can practically feel Brian whispering in my ear in that dead-eyed voice (even though I still have trouble discerning what he's saying)
That's just what makes it Spiderland. I don't know if I'd like a master with a clearly audible voice, I feel like it'd hurt the overall vibe (not to mention, that's what makes the louder bits even more intense)
>>
>>73036639
BASED.
First time I've ever seen someone post Seam
>>
>>73040172
Seam is known on /mu/ what are you talking about
>>
>>73040022
I think your statement was more emotionally fueled than mine. You made the sweeping statement that those who cannot hear the technicality in his playing must not know much about music and/or rhythm. That's a typical slint lover response I see on her a lot, IMO.
>>
>>73040552
But it's true though, it really isn't difficult to be able to appreciate his technicality even as a non-drummer, you'd have to have to know absolutely nothing about music.
Once again you're not giving me a reason as to why you think the album is bad, from what I can tell you just "don't like how it sounds"
>>
>>73040681
The vocalist sucks, the guitarist sucks (been playing for years, the guy isn't that good) the spoken word just doesn't work. It's self loathing and gets old after the first 10 minutes. It's amateurish at best, IMO, but hey, you like it. Good for you.
>>
>>73040771
If you don't like it just leave the thread nigga
>>
>>73040792
I agree with the OP. That's why I'm here, "nigga."
>>
>>73040841
But the track doesn't even belong in any track list. It was only added to the iTunes version because Apple demanded a bonus track and they probably added a joke. There's nothing to agree with, go home
>>
>>73040879
I am home, brainlet. You are just a triggered slint fan who can't stand it when someone doesn't like their favorite I am a loser and can't get a girlfriend soundtrack.
>>
>>73040928
This is like the saddest troll ever on 4chan
>>
>>73040771
>It's self loathing
Don Aman is the only track that could remotely give you this impression and it's subverted at the very end when the narrator resigns to isolation rather than sorting his shit out, making it quite clear Britt is criticizing the /r9k/ archetype.
>The vocalist sucks
Only one line in the album is sung so I would presume you mean because the album uses spoken word, and I'll disagree that it "doesn't work" because it complements the atmosphere of the album perfectly. Having to lean in a little bit to make the vocals clear is what gives the album its unique distant intimacy.
>the guitarist sucks
Which guitarist and why do you think that? You aren't presenting anything to support your argument.
>>
>>73040943
Your response is straight from the 4chan playbook. Get some new material. You're the slint fan.
>>
>>73040962
Dude at least try impress me lol
>>
>>73040946
David Pajo, and Brian, for that matter. They are not great guitarists, IMO. I play guitar, have for over 20 years.
>>
>>73040996
How does it feel that such shitty guitarists are probably making much more money than you, not to mention getting much more notoriety and praise?
>>
>>73040181
I mean I figured it would be but I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it on here before
>>
>>73040972
You're right. slint is the best band ever. I have seen the light. What a group of geniuses. Your comment made me completely change my mind.
>>
>>73041034
ok lol
>>
>>73040996
Okay, but why?
The actual playing, the guitar parts, something else? What specifically don't you like?
>>
>>73041022
Feels great. Not that I really give a shit and I doubt they make more money than me, but who's counting.
>>
>>73041049
Mm, yes, I can almost taste that sweet sweet envy.
>>
>>73040996
>They are not great guitarists, IMO.
in what way? they have pretty interesting unique playstyle and interplay. maybe its not super technically complex. the looseness and slight offness at times adds to the aesthetic appeal imo.
>>
>>73041043
IMO I am just not that impressed with their playing. I would totally back up someone saying it's a decent album made by some kids but that argument is never presented. It's always the "if you don't like this album you obviously don't know anything about song compositions or rhythm or timing or....."
>>
>>73041073
Keep trying. You're almost there. I am almost triggered...
>>
>>73041085
That's ok. Just because you've completely failed to understand how music works doesn't mean you can't stop trying
>>
>>73041129
...and I rest my case...
>>
>literal alarm sounds in a song

Fucking christ
>>
>>73041141
Good now finally we can get to the point: why does Slint attract such shitty idiots on these threads? No one cares if you don't like a band, people like them so they make threads about them, move on
>>
>>73041085
I never once equated that to not liking the album
I said that if you can't appreciate Britt's skillful playing, or rather you're unable to hear how it's skillful, then you are probably deaf to technicalities, then you came in swinging your dick
I would like actual discourse on the album but you're not making any real attempt to do that, the issue seems to be your irk with the statement I made that you misread the context of rather than talking about the music.
>>
>>73041141
I'm not the guy who keeps making short shitpost replies by the way, that should be clear
>>
>>73041174
This thread was started by someone trying to be convinced they are a good band/album Are you getting your little slint feelings hurt? If you like them so much, start your own slint circlejerk thread. I won't bother you.
>>
>>73041188
I am talking about the music but again, you make broad statements regarding those who disagree.
>>
>>73041174
Because only and idiot would not be able to appreciate Slint
>>
>>73041202
>4chan
>shitpost replies
>are you fucking serious
>>
>>73041188
Probably because he's just fishing for replies? Stop taking everything so damn seriously.

>>73041207
No, the thread was made by someone who thought a bonus track present only on a re-edition of the album which was only added as a commercial obligation and as a joke sounded pretentious.
Now that we know the true nature of said track, OP even admited "oh ok that's fine then".
Not only are you completely ignorant in music, you're also really incompetent at learning how to read basic English or any sort of basic interpretation in general.
I suggest you try harder in life in general, or just give up.
>>
>>73041225
>IMO I am just not that impressed with their playing
That's all you've said to me in terms of the music so far and it's a pretty ambiguous milquetoast opinion, but it's fair enough
You didn't refute anything else I said regarding your initial list of reasons as to why you dislike it.
>>
>>73041254
>actively avoided labelling this album as obnoxiously pretentious for 40 minutes but this is unforgiveabley try-hard. Someone justify why this board loves it so much.
>>
>>73041277
He made a broad generic assumption based on a half-truth.
I'm starting to see a pattern between you and OP, now I get why you mouth breathers come here.
>>
>>73041255
What's ambiguous about that? The guitar parts are not that inventive, the tone SUCKS. What else have you brought to the discussion other than to disagree as I have?
>>
>>73041317
>not that inventive
LOL
Now you claimed it, show us a more inventive band of this period and genre.
>>
>>73041317
>The guitar parts are not that inventive, the tone SUCKS
There you go you're explaining your argument now, congrats
I was referring to this post: >>73040946
>>
>>73041304
Mouthbreathers. Oh, now I am triggered. You went and done it now. I am really upset now.
>>
>>73041343
I suggest going to a rhinologist, you probably have some pathology in your nose keeping you from breathing properly.
>>
>>73041364
Wonder if the rhinologist will be playing slint when I go.
>>
>>73041381
How is this even a diss? Lol do you fail so miserably in everything you try?
>>
>>73041397
...and yet you keep replying to me.
>>
>>73041424
So do you? Jesus Christ how can anyone be this stupid
>>
>>73041456
Nice comeback. Seriously, are you a teenager?
>>
>>73041472
It goes both ways, dipshit. You can't claim "oh you're still doing this" when you do exactly the same.
Can't believe I left thinking "this idiot didn't get it" and sure enough, I came back and you didn't.
Predictable and dumb, yet claims to make money. You're probably one of those middle-aged guys who owns a car dealership or a restaurant and thinks he's the big guy just because he is "his own boss".
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.