[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would a guitar player today ever have to learn 'proper'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Why would a guitar player today ever have to learn 'proper' music notation? Tabs are all you need, unless you're playing self indulgent and outdated music like jazz or classical. Times have changed, and so has writing music. Obviously other instruments still have most work notated traditionally, but if you're playing bass or guitar I don't see any reason to learn how to 'read music'.
>>
I sense some frustration behind this post. Would you like to talk about it?
>>
>>73029636
but how would you get note length on tabs
>>
>>73029636
If you want to get any sort of job as like a session musician/orchestral player/possibly wedding band, you'll need to know how to read music of the page

Otherwise, no not really
>>
>>73029692
>getting a 'job' as a guitar player

oh boy
>>
Also you don't "have" to learn anything, and you've never had to. Folk music has survived centuries without having anything written down, players learned just from watching and listening to other players. So you don't even need tabs, you can just play by ear. It's always been that way.
>>
>>73029675
You can write tabs with rhythmic notation. See songster
>>
>>73029636
b8
>>
>>73029675
If you can get note length from sheet music, why do conductors exist? Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>73029636
If you're in a rock band and explain how you want a song to be played like "77777777 on the A string", nobody will take you seriously. Tab is ok for beginners learning their first Nirvana covers but most semi-competent players don't use it.
You don't have to be able to read sheet music, but at least do things by ear instead.
>>
>>73029636
>Why would a guitar player today ever have to learn 'proper' music notation?
If you want to be a session musician, you need to read sheet music. Real musicians commuicate in sheet music. If you study guitar at university, even non-classical guitar, you will be expected to read sheet music and they will attempt to wean you off tabs.

>Tabs are all you need,
tabs dont communicate precise rhythms, dynamics, phrasing, or many of the other precision elements of sheet music. Many tabs actually contain note duration from sheet music to indicate note length - so why not go the whole way and just learn sheet music?

Learning sheet music also lets you play classical guitar scores.
>>
>>73029636
sighhh here you go

(you)
>>
You don't have to. But if you ever want to play with other people who aren't guitarists, you're going to need it. Because musicians of all other instruments use regular notation, not guitar tabs, it's the common tongue and you're the cunt that's asking everyone else to speak your language because you're too lazy to learn what everyone else uses.

I've met people who can only use tabs, they're impossible to play with. Even right now, I have a guitarist that started playing with me recently, and it's near impossible to communicate with him during our sessions.

There's also the issue that in tabs, it's not that easy to see the harmonic and melodic patterns, so most people who only use tabs don't ever develop a good understanding of harmony, or only have a very basic intuitive understanding which is insufficient for playing in a group setting.

>>73029863
Maybe it's easier to get into but it's also very easy to get stuck in because of how convenient it is. I feel like in the end it ends up hindering the player later on, instead of learning notation they'd rather go on the internet and argue that tabs are better bucause they are easier for them.
>>
it isn't that hard to read music

I only really use tab for learning songs and even then most of them are that terribly made that I have to resort to listening to some fat guy with a terrible webcam covering the song

>>73029675
>but how would you get note length on tabs

I've seen bass and drum tabs use letters above the stave to indicate note length
>>
I use to throw a shitfit when I had to read sheet music but after picking up a violin I quickly learned how to read and play it

shits not hard, it just looks intimidating with all those scribbles.
>>
>>73029636
>thinking jazz and classical are irrelevant to modern music
>thinking learning how to read music is pointless

Jesus fuck, it's like you're trying to be clueless
>>
>>73029636
Because I can actually see the notes on standard notation instead of the frets. I can also hear what I see better on standard notation and count the rhythms more easily.
>>
>>73029636
I know this is bait, but I'll bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7qgBVnMfY
>>
>>73031299
yeah and meanwhile guys who couldnt tell a mixolydian from a horses ass are making millions in music
>>
>>73031353
>Money is the epitome of musical success
Damn, I know /mu/ is filled with musically illiterate kids but this caught me off guard.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.