[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are "How Soon Is Now" and "The Queen Is Dead"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: thesmiths090514a-616x365.jpg (59KB, 616x365px) Image search: [Google]
thesmiths090514a-616x365.jpg
59KB, 616x365px
Are "How Soon Is Now" and "The Queen Is Dead" the closest they ever came to actual post-punk?
>>
>>73000670
No, their whole first album is
>>
>>73000670
you're so retarded, try listening to the band, and try listening to post punk
>>
>>73000670
the smiths are post punk
>>
>>73000690
You sure showed me

>>73000760
How?
>>
How is How Soon is Now even remotely post-punk?
>>
>>73000792
Morrissey's songwriting was influenced by punk rock and post-punk bands such as the New York Dolls, The Cramps, The Specials and The Cult

The Smiths defined the term "post-punk" better than anyone else: they had absolutely nothing in common with the punk civilization. In fact, they were for punk-rock what the Beatles had been for rock'n'roll: the antidote.
Inventors of 'intimate' post-punk rock, through which pop music regained its power over the British recording industry, the Smiths are the cause, for better or worse, of the hollowing-out of punk and the resurrection of pop. They are also, for better or worse, not the cause but the result of the decadence of punk rock and the rebirth of pop. From them the current took off that would lead to the most aberrant phenomena of '90s Britpop. At the same time, they appealed to the frustrations of a new generation of teenagers, whose rituals of self-punishment were diametrically opposed to those of punk.

The sound of the Smiths was the essence of melodic simplicity. On the one hand, the guitar arpeggios of Johnny Marr ( which took and popularized the transcendental angst of Television and Joy Division; on the other, the ascetic and wounded vocals, mediated by mantras and "dark" crooning, of Stephen Morrissey. Of added fascination, at the same time tragic and polemical, were the lyrics of Morrissey, an introverted and hypersensitive celibat
>>
>>73000827
Get a load of Patrick Bateman over here
>>
>>73000835
Lol nice one dude I get it American Psycho lol
>>
>>73000835
post punk isn't just joy division and interpol kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjab3sopGuo
>>
>>73000827
The smiths were majoritively jangle pop, a closely related off shoot of post punk. Their first album is the only album you could truly call post punk with the exception of possibly meat is murder
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.