[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of song is On the Run? at the time and what it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: capa_darkside.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
capa_darkside.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
What kind of song is On the Run? at the time and what it would be called today
>>
prog rock
>>
>>72967815
Musique Concrete

sound collage or plunderphonics
>>
>>72967815
Boring.
>>
>>72968053
Found the pleb
>>
>>72968116
it's easily the worst song on the album

it's more of an interlude than a song
>>
>>72967990
>plunderphonics
nigga you dumb
>>
really its closer to ambient than anything else
check out tangerine dream OP
>>
>>72968168
Well, i mean, you are not wrong, Pink Floyd was experimenting with electronic sounds and in fact it is the worst song of the album, however, it was really ahead of his time.
I feel that this song is unskipable if you are listening to the album, it really adds some kind of atmosphere.
>>
>>72967990
You're retarded.
>>
>>72968241
>it was really ahead of his time.

this is the right explination. At the time there wasnt anything like this song.
>>
>>72968241
I won't skip it if I'm listening to the whole thing but I never go out of my way to listen to it on it's own
>>
>>72968319
i wouldn't go that far but i still agree it was way ahead of its time. this song came out in 1976 for example but it lacks the sampling that on the run does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w8VsvJ40sM

mort garson was also making some interesting stuff as well.
>>
>>72967990
can't overstate how stupid you are
>>
>>72968053
only correct answer.
All these plebs saying it's ahead of it's time?! what the fuck have you ever heard Stockhausen? Cage? Zappa?Fugs?
this album is revolutionary only in the tiny spec of dust that is pleb music
>>
>>72968485
you're a moron.
>>
>>72968485
*tips*
>>
>>72968502
>>72968628
>hurr durr im to lazy to find new music so everyone who has must be a retard
grow up and get laid faggots.
>>
Proto goa trance , years ago on a different forum this discussion took place
>>
>>72968658
nigger just because you know who stockhausen and cage are doesn't mean they were doing music like on the run. the sampling of noises combined with the modulation of the synths specifically is what is unique about that song. other bands were doing lots of stuff with analog synths like tangerine dream and krautrock bands and jazz artists, but the way on the run was written was unique and forward thinking, regardless if you think pink floyd is too mainstream to listen to because you're too much of a patrician
>>
>>72968409
Well yea, there are 3 songs max that I'd listen to if I wasn't listening to the whole thing
>>
>>72968658
lol.
>Stockhausen Sampled noises and modulated them with both more complexity and more expertise in the mid-50s
>Cage was playing with the randomness of sound and creating a randomness input in music
>Zappa played with the studio almsot a decade before that album got out,and thus almost a decade before that song existed
>The Fugs made collages also almost a decade before of that song.

I didn't pick artists at random, I wasn't trying to sound presumptuous,specially since by now Stockhausen is pretty well-known. My point was:there was no real invention in this song. Zappa,the fugs,Cage and Stockhausen had done that decades ago. You can enjoy the song,Like I do, but don't make autistic claims about it. Facts are Facts
>>
>>72968658
Every artist you named is just babbys first experimental
>>
>>72968999
No one was claiming Pink Floyd invented this shit and were geniuses. You're calling it boring because other artists have experimental sounds.
>>
>>72969163
wha?
>>72969177
check>>72967990
>>72968241
>>72968319
>>72968412
>>
>>72967815

Pac-man core
>>
>>72967990
Bumping because of how dumb this is.
>>
Holy shit I hate On The Run, that and Breathe ruin the album for me
>>
>>72971237
>Breathe
>ruin
????
>>
>>72968409
You can't really listen to any Dark Side on it's own. It's all or nothing.
>>
>>72971237
Breathe is literally one of the best Pink Floyd songs
>>
File: shiggyfromspace.gif (3MB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
shiggyfromspace.gif
3MB, 186x186px
>>72971237
> Not liking "Breathe"
> Not liking the seamless reprise of "Breathe" in "Time"
>>
>>72971237
Same here, but with "Us and Them." Total moodbreaker, I skip it every time
>>
How do you guys feel about eclipse.
>>
>>72972860
Great when accompanied by "Brain Damage", too short and repetitive to stand on its own.
>>
>>72967990

> dumb poster is dumb
>>
>>72971895
Correct.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.