[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does Kanye's music fall within hip-hop? He isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

File: kanye.png (156KB, 460x530px) Image search: [Google]
kanye.png
156KB, 460x530px
Where does Kanye's music fall within hip-hop? He isn't conscious rap, he isn't gangsta rap, and "alternative" is too general.
>>
>>72955274
postdillaism
>>
he makes music
>>
Experimental hip-hop
>>
>>72955274
christian rap
>>
Early experimental hip hop, but the strides achieved by the music seem smaller and less noticeable in hindsight. Like Seinfeld and comedy.
>>
>>72955947
what're you saying
>>
Pop-rap, but the good kind.
>>
>>72956762
That's too general too.
It's not like Kanye doesn't have a consistent subject matter.
>>
kanye IS rap. kanye IS hip-hop.
just the way the stones were rock & roll, MJ was pop.
you can't micro-genre kanye.
>>
>>72955274
pop
>>
Shit rap
>>
>>72955274
new-wave pop/art rap. He shines as a producer/CEO producer, incorporating sounds that were never really standard for rap. soul in college drop out, orchestral in late registration etc
>>
>>72957153
art rap is a good way to put it
>>
>>72957153
>Soul
>Orchestral
>not standard for Rap

welcome to the genre, I guess.

Kanye himself said he got his early chipmunk soul style from the RZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1th02cIRkmM
>>
>>72957242
not for production no. obviously he built on some stuff but he solidified the sounds and moved hip hop forward. that is why he is considered such an influential artist in his first few albums. and orchestral as in live orchestra, 40 cellos and stage recording for late registration.
>>
>>72957020
Kanye isn't respected enough to be representative of hip-hop.
>>
>>72957153
conscious and gangsta refer to the subject matter.
"art" isn't a subject matter.
>>
>>72955274
I was also wondering this today. rap hip hop and trap don't seemt o work as genre labels in today
>>
>>72957413
yeah but its a type of sound and aesthetic. see art rock. question was about his music not just his lyrics.
>>
>>72957599
I was obviously referring to his lyrics and subject matter seeing as how I cited gangsta rap and conscious rap as examples.
>>
>>72957695
what constitutes alternative rap lyrics then? if we are talking lyrics then obviously backpack/basement rap
>>
>>72957695
Then pop would be the most fitting label
>>
>>72958421
You're such a fucking loser.
>>
>>72958461
Lyrically, what pop artists are like Kanye?
>>
>>72958500
kid cudi, lupe fiasco
>>
>>72958500
Most of them, that's why it fits.
While every artist has some individuality, and varying levels of self awareness and depth, they mostly rap/sing about themselves.
>>
>>72958482
ouchies my fee fees. but in reality all i do is win win win no matter what
>>
>>72958555
Trips confirmed
>>
>>72957350
Again, RZA did it on Wu Tang Forever
>>
>>72958482
>doesn't know what basement rap is
some shit off maad city is basement rap, lyrically
>>
>>72955274
Pop rap
>>
>>72955274
CHRISTIAN RAP
>>
>>72958540
>kid cudi, lupe fiasco
Nope.

>>72958542
>they mostly rap/sing about themselves.
That's really not true. At least not to the extent that Kanye does. Pop artists just write shit about love and romance.
>>
File: tumblr_nhai5yK83X1su84coo1_1280.jpg (124KB, 1280x976px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhai5yK83X1su84coo1_1280.jpg
124KB, 1280x976px
>>72956762
this
>>
>>72957153
RZA incorporated jazz and soul on a lot of his old beats, for example camay off Ironman or motherless child. Im not even sure if hes the first to so it either
>>
>>72957372
Who the FUCK is representing HipHop right now this nigga is the closest thing to Tupac while everyone else wants that title.
>>
>>72959011
hes actually this generations closest thing to einstein
>>
>>72959011
I hate him, but Kendrick is extremely popular and respected by almost everybody.
Before Kendrick it was probably Drake.
And before Drake it was Wayne.
>>
>>72958803
yeah, that is how music works. people experiment with sounds and build off each other but then some people do it much better and are recognized for the vision they have. RZA was great but kanye was better
>>
>>72959518
>drake being respected for anything other than making money for the label.
>kanye 808 paving the way for crybaby, pussy ass degrassi niggers like drake to be accepted in hip hop
get real
>>
Was Gucci my nigga?
>>
File: E9eUn - Imgur.gif (298KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
E9eUn - Imgur.gif
298KB, 200x150px
>>72958696

>pop artists just write about love and romance
>>
>>72955274
he's his own category, like Bowie
>>
>>72959518
Kendrick is a forced meme while Yeezy,Weezy,and Drizzy actually put out good music that people have to respect unlike Kendrick.

You can avoid Kendrick but you cant avoid the other 3.

Kendrick is like that brother who had a decent job and has a family and wears a house nigga suit and everyone is so proud but Yeezy is like that brother who married and ex stripper and has a million stories you wouldnt believe so i see where your view of respect is more like respectable.
>>
>>72959585
Drake was a lot more respected around Thank Me Later, Tank Care, and NTWS and extremely popular.
>>
>>72959640
Name 6 that don't.
>>
>>72959762
you need to get outside and talk to some people irl if you think kendrick is a meme. he headlines coachella, is literally one of the most popular and respected rapper out right now. he outsold drakes release this year. fucking underage pre-incel
>>
>>72959762
>so i see where your view of respect is more like respectable.
I definitely don't respect Kendrick more than Kanye, Weezy, or Drake. I've always disliked him.
I'm talking generally, everybody loves Kendrick and I don't know what year you're stuck in if you think he can be avoided.
Kendrick couldn't even be avoided when GKMC came out. Everybody was bumpin Money Trees, Backseat Freestyle, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, and Swimming Pools.
>>
>>72959770
popular yes, but not respected. I dont think drake has any classic albums. maybe thank me later will be close but he is the katy perry of rapping
>>
>>72956027
When kanye makes innovations it seems dated when you look back on it because everyone took his style from then
>>
>>72959835
You're delusional if you think Drake wasn't ever a respected rapper, the respect only started to wane after If You're Reading This came out and the Meek Mill beef happened.
>maybe thank me later will be close but he is the katy perry of rapping
Like it or not, Take Care is a classic because it changed hip-hop.
I don't even like Drake, but comparing him to Katy Perry is insulting.
>>
>>72959804
>Coachella
>An authority on non-hipster hop

Ive been in trap spots which is where new hiphop is born nowadays and they spin drake more than any of these 4 in question suprisingly followed by kanye from time to time they play wayne when a throwback mood strikes but the only niggas ive seen suggest playing kendrick are goofy as fuck and they dont even suggest it around certain people.
>>
>>72959912
What state or city are you in? Cause even hood niggas love Kendrick.
>>
>>72959906
lol how in the fuck did it change hip hop. drake isn't innovative, basically told everyone that 808 inspired all his shit, has ghostwriters, and will not be remembered or played in 15 years
>>
>>72959937
ATL
ive lived in Houston,Miami,and Atlanta over the last 5 year back and forth and this is just what the general consensus is.
>>
>>72959912
you are dumb dude. maybe when you turn 16 or something, you will start listening to better music. cuz drake is some pleb HS tier rap that white girls pregame to.
>>
>>72959979
Ive seen niggas deep in the game cutting up whitegirl listening to drake.
>>
>>72959912
>new hip hop born in trap spots.
no wonder you have such normie taste. some mumble rap maybe but outside of future, there is no respect, skill, or staying power for shit coming out of the "trap spots"
>>
>>72960006
ah shit bro they cutting up white girl. damn homie they must be hardcore. now i know you are in hs. i have done plenty of coke and i think drake is a joke therefore my opinion must be spot on
>>
>>72959979
Honestly when i used to listen to conscious rap i was mad people didnt fuck with lupe or cassidy as hard as they should but when i grew up and realized i didnt have to mentally masturbate all the time and it wasnt always conducive to a feel good environment i just went with the flow and i realized flaunting intelligence just shows a lack of wisdom.

They have their niche they are more hiphop purist but times change.
>>
Rap for white people
>>
>>72960055
>I have done plenty of coke
I am talking about a lifestyle which you are boiling down to an ativity the point goes over your head but certain things experience teaches young jedi.
>>
>>72960065
don't understand your point. drake is just a corny ass nigger. i love kanye and he isn't conscious rap. good environment doesnt mean it has to be pleb shit
>>
>>72959960
808s is an introspective album about failing relationships, the death of Kanye's mom, and a feeling of emptiness.
Drake stole the sound of 808s and used to make simp music about sex and relationships.

Which one do you see more of today in hip-hop? Introspective synth rap? Or simp rap about sex and relationships over airy beats?
Take Care spawned more copycats than 808s did. Drake's flow and style is everywhere.
If you ask young people which album they prefer or which is more of a classic they're going to say Take Care.
>>
>>72960136
Im talking about just spitting over a beat and rapping the hook or if it must be done get a woman to sing it,that was a more traditional approach.

After Ja Rule,Tpain,etc a new approach has emerged and most artists are on a spectrumbetween the two.

They both have their merits but what works works.

P.s. mumble rap is just sped up and distorted for the most part but it actually leans toward the more tradional style.
>>
>>72960135
you are literaly underage, your posts make that so clear
>deep into cutting up that whitegirl
>talking about a lifestyle
wtf are you talkin about, some glorified drug dealer lifestyle that corny pop-rap pushes on wannabe black, wigger teens?
my lifestyle is about good music so degrassi ass drake can kiss my nuts.
>>
>>72960167
808 allowed for softer, introspective rap and lyrics with simpler beats to be mainstream. drake, kid cudi, weeknd , frank ocean all can thank that album for creating a lane for them
>>
>>72960167
of course they will say that. drake is like katy perry. its FUN YASS GIRL. 808 was hugely influential but that doesn't mean fuckign normie plebs will realize or care. drake has no flow, nothing unique about the way he raps. like all pop songs, he has ghost writers and everything sounds safe. just look at drake try to freestyle
>>
>>72955274
meme rap
>>
>>72960203
LOL

You know,i respect the rap is crap /pol/ tards and wiggers more than you because atleast they know music has to connect to your soul or you cant vibe with it.Heavy metal,country,and trap all share this thread but the fact that you use coachella as an end all be all tells me you like to play it safe and you probably have "black friends" like they are just another photo of some exotic trip you once took.
>>
>>72957413
Kanye's subject matter varies across his albums and within them so that's irrelevant
>>
>>72960282
good to know drake connects to your soul. i used that as evidence to how huge kendrick is. and i like music that has a real connection created by the artist. why kanye, kendrick, doom, pac, big, nas, deltron 3030 etc are considered patrician. drake is shallow, engineered for mass consumption, and has nothing in his music to "connect" to. sure the beats sound nice. but its an inch deep and offers nothing as art. drake could be replaced by anyone rapping his material and it wouldnt change
>>
>>72960369
If you are old enough to get in the club and you havent sung along to drake you arent doing it right
>>
Reminder that Drake's flow is actually Big Sean's flow.
>>
>>72960264
i mostly agree with you on your drake criticism (even though i enjoy him), but using freestyles as indicative of talent is wrong. Kanye cant freestyle for shit either
>>
>>72960282
Don't worry. when i was in highschool i listened to shitty rap that sounded good but had no real substance. but i wasn't retarded enough to delude myself into thinking it was actually good. just fun beats. think anyone believes lil john or ludacris are patrician, have classic albums. nope but they banged at prom. thats what drake is.
>>
>>72960287
>Kanye's subject matter varies across his albums and within them so that's irrelevant

Not really. Kanye's subject matter is consistent throughout his 7 albums.
They're all about him, his emotions, and relationship to racism.
Yeah, it's called "The College Dropout", but that's just a moniker for himself. School is only mentioned on that album three times outside of the skits.

Maybe Kanye's subgenre is Emo Hip-Hop.
>>
>>72960430
truth, was using that more for a flow example but it was weak. nothing wrong with liking the sound of drake but thinking he is anything other than epitome of pop rap atm or will be lasting is wrong.

see >>72960433
>>
>>72960427
this
>>72960407
>drake in the club
>drake is not the katy perry of rap
don't base artists talent on club plays
>>
>>72955274
>Where does Kanye's music fall within hip-hop?
Kanye

I think its undoubted at this point that Kanye is his own force in hip hop and does his own thing separate from most others
>>
>>72960443
not his first three albums, or yeezus. his only real emo album was 808. how could MBDTF fall into an emo category?
>>
>>72955274
Mainstream hip hop? Modern day run dmc
>>
>>72960540
this

kanye is too eclectic now to fit into any specific genre of hip-hop. Even his first albums have much more depth and instrumentation than any other rap album i've heard, and if you can prove me wrong please link me to some shit.
>>
>>72960645
Ever heard of Madvillainy?
>>
>>72960581
By emo I just mean emotional, not specifically sad and:
>Power
>All of the Lights
>Devil in a New Dress
>Runaway
>Blame Game
>>
>>72960645
Truth. but i think kendrick is the best comparison. he has strong ideas on his projects and is willing to take risks (TPAB in both sound and subject). dont think he is quite as boundary pushing but think he has the talent and vision to be spoken about in the same league with a few more albums
>>
>>72960673
yes and it is one of my favorite hip hop albums, but it is still just looped samples (albeit very good ones) over more intentionally goofy samples.

I love the album, I love the style, but it is less "composed" than many of kanye's songs having choirs and vocalists and such. The song structure is also definitely more complex on many kanye things compared to madvillainy.
>>
>>72960673
i think doom has his own lane and is crazy interesting in what he has done, but his specific sound is not as expansive. i would say doom is closer (and better) than del the funky homosapien
>>
>>72960673
What about it
>>
>>72960699
Kendrick is psuedo intellectual garbage with garbage lines and bars.
Kanye may not be super technical but he doesn't consistently release garbage like
>Donald Trump is a chump
>Know how we feel, punk? Tell 'em that God comin'
>>
>>72960828
>kanye not being technical?
Kanye is literally one of the top 3 producers of all time. look at all the shit he has produced that he is not rapping on. combined with his discography is why he is considered GOAT

And how is kendrick pseudo intellectual. People say he is woke but he has never come off as tryign to be intellectual. TPAB is more a protest/political album more than conscious rap
>>
>>72960886
TPAB is conscious rap. It's far more critical of black communities than it is of white government. The conscious rap second verse of HUMBLE. is corny as fuck and ruins the song.

Most of the time, Kendrick isn't conscious. He's more Wu-Tang than anything. It's just that songs like ADHD and Swimming Pools made him popular so he knows he's expected to have conscious rap on his projects.
>>
>>72960886
technical has nothing to do with producing dumbass
>>
>>72961166
production is all the technicality
>>
File: 1494131162860.jpg (120KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
1494131162860.jpg
120KB, 610x610px
>>72961230
>>
>>72959885
>See: Graduation and 808s
>>
>>72961318
are you sure you are using the word technical correct? cuz Ye beats are fire and technical as hell
>>
>>72961328
>see also: college dropout
>>
kanye is a sellout. he's good but he'll never not be a sellout to me
>>
>>72955274
Who the fuck listens to kanye?

Who would listen to the biggest manchild there is in existence. Even if he made good shit i cant get away from the fact that he is probably the bigges baby in the entirety of the earths 5.7 billion population.
>>
>>72962715
Sellout to who exactly?

Also,
>>72962758
>Here's a you
>>
>>72955274
He's a black man in music who isn't in jazz or blues, so of course he's in fucking rap ya dingus
>>
QUICK
RATE HIS ALBUMS FROM BEST TO WORST
>>
>>72963536
Objectively correct Kanye ranking coming through
CD=LR=G=808=MBDTF=Y=TLOP
>>
Mr West himself dubbed his music Couture Rap at around the Watch The Throne/MBDTF era
>>
>>72963570
whoa
>>
>>72963570
MBDTF>G>LR>808>CD>Y>TLOP
>>
>>72961347
>are you sure you are using the word technical correct? cuz Ye beats are fire and technical as hell
>>
>>72963570
LR>MBDTF>CD=808>Y>WTT>G=TLOP
>>
>>72960084
I guess white people have better taste than black people.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.