[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else sort of check out of albums when they get overtly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Sufjanstevensageofadz.jpg (18KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Sufjanstevensageofadz.jpg
18KB, 220x220px
Does anyone else sort of check out of albums when they get overtly religious? I always cringe slightly when Sufjan tells me to "get real, get right with the lord."

Christfags, do you experience a similar thing when Trent says "God is dead, and no one cares"? or am I just overthinking it.
>>
>>72955190
t. was catholic until age 12
>>
>>72955202
Yeah, thats about accurate actually. How the fuck did you guess?
>>
I would tend to agree, but I think it actually kind of works well in Sufjan's music? Like especially on Carrie & Lowell where all the religious references sounded less preachy and more like a profoundly fucked up person's way of dealing with life?

I don't really care for Age of Adz in the first place though.
>>
after going through a Bach phase, I no longer am phased by religious overtones
>>
>>72955232
Yeah, I agree with that. I liked Carrie and Lowell because I found most of the time he would draw from his faith for imagery in the lyrics that actually worked rather well and wasn't preachy at all.

>>72955260
Hopefully I'll be there once I get done with listening to all the Coltrane albums
>>
>>72955190
Sufjan isn't being as on the nose as you think it is. Also, I don't care what the message of a song/artist is. Just how they deliver it and express that message. I enjoy GYBE even though i'm not an anarcho-communist because it's delivered subtly in their music for the most part.
>Christfags, do you experience a similar thing when Trent says "God is dead, and no one cares"? or am I just overthinking it.
The lyrics are meh, but he's in character so it's not as bad. "I wanna fuck you like an animal" would be cringey too if it wasn't for the fact that it's a metaphor. A religion rant song I do dislike though is Pure Comedy though, but that's because I find the lyrics exceptionally weak, even for FJM, and the music uninteresting.
>>
I used to. And then I grew up.

Soofy 4 life.
>>
I'm Catholic and don't mind anti-religious stuff unless it gets straight-up blasphemous, at which point the music is usually terrible.

I can understand phasing out of actual worship music since that's pretty much the only point of the lyrics, but I don't think artists like Soof are that explicit with it, they usually work religious references into different themes.
>>
>>72955334
What's some music that's actively blasphemous? Deicide or something?
>>
>>72955302
Yeah like I would kind of probably zone out at something like the "Blind faith, god's grace" lyric on The Only Thing anywhere else, but in the context of that song/album it adds a feeling of desperation I guess I would describe it as, really actually adds to the weight of the music.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.