[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is this album at all related to Anne Frank? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5064.jpg (254KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5064.jpg
254KB, 1000x1000px
How is this album at all related to Anne Frank? I don't get the connection
>>
>>72877478
Because most of them don't have personalities and emotional bonding with a boy only goes so far. Boys have sheep mentality but they don't like to show this to the outside world. Their egos are massive too, they don't want to be exposed after all. That is why their simple minds think that wearing a Dead Kennedys or Misfits shirt will make them look like "deep and edgy" personalities. When in reality, they are nothing more than fragile simpletons covered in toxic masculinity. It's sad really. I feel bad for so called male "punk music fans".
>>
>>72877493
goddamn it
>>
>>72877478
Holland, 1945 contains references to Anne Frank. In 1945, World War II ended and Frank and her sister Margot died of typhus. The lyric "all when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes" could be seen as a reference to the White Rose resistance group that existed in Nazi Germany in the early 1940s, though songwriter Jeff Mangum claims that he had never heard of the movement before In the Aeroplane Over the Sea was released.
>>
>>72877478
Several lyrics make reference to her.
>>72877493
Go away
>>
>he's never read Diary of a Young Girl
>doesn't get why lyrics like "semen stains the mountaintops" is about Anne Frank
>>
>>72877478
>but then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister by her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone

>and I know they buried her body with others, her sister and mother and 500 families

>and she was born in a bottle rocket 1929
>>
>>72877493
What the Hell are you talking about?
>>
>>72877531
>>72877542
I get the Holland 1945 connection, but what about other songs? I hear people say the whole album is about her, is it just that song?
>>
File: IMG_5065.jpg (65KB, 720x538px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5065.jpg
65KB, 720x538px
>>72877657
>he doesn't get how two headed boy relates to Anne Frank
>>
>>72877657
>Semen stains the mountain tops
>>
The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. One
>And this is the room
>One afternoon I knew I could love you
>And from above you how I sank into your soul
>Into that secret place where no one dares to go
He's reading her diary and falling in love with her.

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
>What a beautiful dream
>That could flash on the screen
>In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
>Soft and sweet
>Let me hold it close and keep it here with me, me
He's dreaming about being with Anne Frank, and he knows it's not real and never could be real, so he's letting himself give in to the fantasy for a while.
>There are lights in the clouds
>Anna's ghost all around
>Hear her voice as it's rolling and ringing through me
>Soft and sweet
>How the notes all bend and reach above the trees, trees
He's imagining her talking to him. He even literally calls her "Anna."

Two Headed Boy
>We will take off our clothes
>And they'll be placing fingers through the notches in your spine
>And when all is breaking
>Everything that you could keep inside
>Now your eyes ain't moving
>Now they just lay there in their climb
He imagines himself getting intimate with Anne Frank, but the fantasy is ruined when he imagines touching her and realizing she is a lifeless corpse. "All is breaking, everything that you could keep inside" probably refers to his heartbreak, and the fact that he can't hold in his sadness.
>Two headed boy
>With pulleys and weights
>Creating a radio played just for two
>In the parlor with a moon across her face
>And through the music he sweetly displays
>Silver speakers that sparkle all day
>Made for his lover who's floating and choking with her hands across her face
Jeff's tries to display his love for his lover (Anne) with his music. He imagines her looking beautiful in the parlor while he sings to her, but then pictures her tortured ghost watching him with no way to communicate.

Part 1/2
>>
>>72878676
>And I will take you and leave you alone
>Watching spirals of white softly flow
>Over your eyelids and all you did
>Will wait until the point when you let go
Here, Jeff realizes that he is only torturing himself and destroying Anne Frank's memory by imagining them as lovers. He lets the snow blanket Anne's body until he can't see her anymore. Finally, he lets go of her.

Holland, 1945
>every lyric
I mean, come on.

Communist Daughter
>And wanting something warm and moving
>Bends towards herself the soothing
>Proves that she must still exist
>She moves herself about her fist
The whole song is basically Jeff imagining sex with Anne Frank, but this line is about Anne masturbating, which is based on a very controversial part of her diary. "Semen stains the mountaintops" could partially be about him cumming on her tits, but I don't know.

Oh Comely
>I know they buried her body with others
>Her sister and mother and five-hundred families
>And will she remember me fifty years later?
>I wished I could save her in some sort of time machine
This song's extremely surreal, but this line speaks for itself.

Ghost
>And she was born in a bottle-rocket 1929
>With wings that ringed around a socket right between her spine
>All drenched in milk and holy water pouring from the sky
>I know that she will live forever
>She won't ever die
He thinks that Anne's ghost is with him, and he implies that if he always thinks about her, she will never actually die.
>And she goes and now she knows she'll never be afraid
>To watch the morning paper blow
>Into a hole where no-one can escape
She's not afraid of death, which is actually based on the Diary of Anne Frank. Anne says at some point that she doesn't fear death anymore, and that gives Jeff some comfort I guess.

Two Headed Boy Part Two
This song is more about Jeff himself and not Anne Frank, but I think this song and Two Headed Boy are the most important songs thematically in the album.

Part 2/2
>>
>>72878837
Wrap up to this long ass bullshit. You gotta look between the lines on pretty much every song. Just look at the Genius annotations if you're confused. I imagine the songs as streams of consciousness rather than literal metaphors. For example, in Two Headed Boy, Jeff uses "you" referring to Anne Frank, "you" referring to himself, and "you" referring to his inner self. In the chorus, he refers to two different "you"s in the span of 2 lines. This makes it really confusing to decipher what the fuck he's talking about, so it's best to imagine Jeff basically arguing with himself in order to understand his train of thought.
>>
>>72878676
>>72878837
>>72878972
thank you for this analysis. its insane how someone could write album on this and have it feel so genuine and emotional. It makes you wonder was he just writing about it to be random and elephant-six collective-ish (in that case it's still a pretty genius way to write within that idiom) or was he literally writing about true emotions and stuff he has for her.
>>
>>72877657
>but what about other songs? I hear people say the whole album is about her, is it just that song?
No the album is not all about her. Only a few of the songs. The other songs are about other people.

This guy >>72878676 >>72878837 is wrong. Don't believe his shit
>>
>>72878676
>We will take off our clothes
>And they'll be placing fingers through the notches in your spine
favorite line on the whole album. It sounds so intimate but it also reads like it's about being processed by guards (they) at interment camps. Romantic and so unimaginably scared and distraught at the same time
>>
>>72878676
>>72878837
Stop this garbage

>King of Carrot Flowers 1
Autobiographical
>King of Carrot Flowers 2
Literally about Jesus
>King of Carrot Flowers 3
Written for Jeff's friends (members of Olivia Tremor Control) years before he even read The Diary of Anne Frank
>In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Love song for his gf at the time, Laura from Elf Power, but with *some* lines about Anne Frank
>Two Headed Boy 1
Is about the Two Headed Boy
>The Fool
Was written by their trumpet player as a soundtrack to a film which was never released.
>Holland 1945
Is about Anne Frank
>Communist Daughter
Probably about Rose Wallace Goldaline
>Oh Comely
First part probably about dreams Jeff Mangum was having; second part about Anne Frank; third part about Rose Wallace Goldaline
>Ghost
About Anne Frank and an article Jeff read about a baby who died.
>Two Headed Boy 2
About Jeff's uncle who committed suicide and the end is about Two Headed Boy's reincarnated spirit.

The album is about reincarnation. It is not solely about Anne Frank, but it is about several people who die--The Two Headed Boy, Goldaline, Jesus Christ, his own uncle and of course Anne Frank included--and their rebirth.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.