[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.stereogum.com/1942123/ha lsey-explains-her-provoc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: trash.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
http://www.stereogum.com/1942123/halsey-explains-her-provocative-comments-about-kendrick-lamar-and-lady-gaga/news/

how many artists are legit normies? you would think that halsey would know she makes pop music but it appears she legitimately believes she's super edgy and alternative. any other artists who are total normies about their own music
>>
File: 1489315613960.png (45KB, 560x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489315613960.png
45KB, 560x240px
americans should be g*ssed desu
>>
I wouldn't be a poptamist either if i were a musician, pop stars have no depth and are easily disposed of, replaced with the newer, sexier model. Poptamism is a cancer. Especially if i were a female musician i wold be on some bjork shit.

As for halselsly,, she is a fucking cringe lord, pop star masked as le indie girl. like lana del taco
>>
It is pretty weird how Kendrick can sell out as hard as humanly possible and make tons of shitty pop tracks but nobody calls him out on it except another shitty pop artist.

Hip hop is too much of a yes-man circlejerk.
>>
>>72873144
hip hop was always about selling out, its the most hyper capitalists music known to man, rappers repping brand name clothes, making songs about cars, making money, fucking lots of women.
People just ignore it because its niggers making the music
>>
>>72873191
This was always true for novelty acts like Snoop Dogg and 50 Cent, but it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth when the guy everyone can't stop jerking off about is the biggest perpetrator in the whole game. Kinda sells the whole genre short.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6B3eObcIeQ

In case anyone wants a laugh
>>
>>72873144
>It is pretty weird how Kendrick can sell out as hard as humanly possible and make tons of shitty pop tracks but nobody calls him out on it except another shitty pop artist.
hip hop is about MAKING MONEY AND BEING SUCCESSFUL BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. if you got worth and ppl wanna give u money. do it
thats the motto.
>>
>>72873459
If that's "the motto" that's fine but that still doesn't mean that you're not selling out
>>
>>72873497
Can't sell your integrity if you never had any
>>
>>72873511
Rapping used to be about being poor, you know
>>
>>72873548
and it still is. but you gotta get out of being poor and make something with your life
>>
File: 1493396736197.gif (405KB, 359x371px) Image search: [Google]
1493396736197.gif
405KB, 359x371px
>>72872992
Not clicking that link. Archive it or fuck off
>>
>>72873548
It also sounded like disco
>>
well, i dont see her with an electric guitar so she's not rock.
And i dont see here with a DAW, or laptop, or turntables, so she isnt making electronic music.
And i dont see no acoustic guitar, so she isnt country or folk.
And im pretty sure she doesnt rap.

Hmmmm, i wonder what genre she is
>>
>>72873558
the only way to succeed being black in this country is to assimilate or become commodified. the power structures that distribute and allow hearing of music have an interest in propogating white male supremecist power structures. only giving black artists a voice when they support their ideology and propogate the system that keeps those white men in power. the other option is to create underground movements of independent culture. however almost always that becomes commodified. white producers and music industry people grab hold and gain the capital off of that independent labor. there no hope for balcks....
>>
>>72873558
lol no it isnt, modern rap is about bitches, brand name clothes (supreme), being pretentious about art and fashion (thanks kanye)

Its very far removed from any lower class black roots and is championed by jewish yuppie p4k writers
>>
>>72873558
Sure, just actually do something interesting

Most rap songs about having money are so generic it's impressive they're even able to make so many songs
>>
>>72873574
jesus christ i hate autists like you who are such special snowflakes that they have to have a fucking archive link to look at shit
>>
>>72873548
Me and broke niggas we dont get along
>>
>>72873243
Run-DMC did it too, not just "novelty" acts
>>
>>72873635
I'm with that other anon. Fuck going to a website and helping them generate clicks, views, ad, etc. Just give it to me straight.
>>
>>72873621
(You)
>>
>tfw Halsey ethers the shit out of Duckworth Lamar
>>
File: 1371791447193.png (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1371791447193.png
38KB, 250x250px
>>72873635
You perturbed I'm cutting into your website's bottom line, faggot?
>>
>>72873675
hes right tho

listen to Black Slaves and think about what he's saying
>>
>>72873621
>there no hope for balcks....
sadly this
>>72873631
>brand name clothes (supreme), being pretentious about art and fashion (thanks kanye)
i mean if you only listen to asap rocky then sure.
>72873634
most indie rock songs about tfw no gf are generic also

anyway its all supply and demand. thats what majority of people want. who are they to deny what fans want?
>>
She's half right in that Kendrick does make pop music but so does she
>>
>>72873574
>>72873662
>>72873684
I took the plunge:

>In a recent interview, Halsey complained about not being accepted as “alternative” enough, saying that there’s a double standard when it comes to pop music:

>Kendrick [Lamar] has done a Maroon 5 feature, a Taylor Swift feature and a Sia feature — which is more pop features than I’ve done. No one’s calling him a pop star. But I’m being called one, even though I’m inherently an alternative artist. I don’t know if it’s a male thing, I don’t know if it’s an urban thing. I don’t know what it is. But if you’re a female alternative artist and you do anything that’s even slightly pop leaning, it’s condemning.

>[…] The lengths that Lady Gaga has to go to to maintain her cred as an artist of the counterculture are insane. If she does anything that’s even slightly too-pop people are going to be like ‘she sold out. She’s a pop artist.’ Kendrick Lamar can get on a Taylor Swift song and no one calls him a popstar, but Lady Gaga has to wear raw meat!

There's twitter pictures at the bottom. Here's what she basically repeats
>he point was how it's harder for female artists to maintain counterculture because they get boxed into pop
>>
File: 1449856900521.png (357KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
1449856900521.png
357KB, 397x402px
>>72873621
>>
Like kid cudi said he likes kurt cobain and even made that awful album, but if he really liked nirvana he would take rap to its conclusion by rapping about being poor as shit and wearing torn jeans
>>
>>72873780
shes right somewhat
>>
>>72873809
She draws the right conclusion but the why's are wrong
Kendrick isn't not called a rapper because he's a guy, it's because he's a black rapper who a lot of """alternative""" people listen to who don't want their entry level pop rap to be called what it is
>>
>>72873834
yeah the whole male vs female thing is outdated.
>>
File: crying-baby.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
crying-baby.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>72873780
She's retarded. She absolutely falls under the broad definition of pop. As has Lady Gaga always. Kendrick Lamar isn't considered that because he falls under the broad definition of rap/hip-hop.

Sounds like she's just pissed that she really, really wants to be alt/unique but people aren't buying into it and that makes her feel not very special
>>
not selling out was very important in the 90's, then millennials embraced selling out when you heard indie music in car and ipod commercials.
Look at linkin park, eveyone is calling thier new shit a complete sell out move, and it is.
Hlasely makes the grossest pop music disguised and indie™ ever made
>>
>>72873834
exactly. also just because his music is pop rap doesn't make him not a rapper, he's just a pop rapper. her complaining about him being labeled as a rapper and not a pop star is stupid because he makes rap music, i.e. rapper is an accurate term

bottom line: if halsey doesn't want her or lady gaga to be labeled as pop artists then they probably shouldn't make pop music
>>
>>72873780
Who fucking cares about what other people label you are. I wouldn't she was completely retarded if she didn't say it was a gender thing.
>>
>>72873780
Bitch, in the mainstream, there are 5 genres

>pop
>rock
>hip-hop & r&b
>country
>alternative

Alternative is still usually considered pop. Especially if you dress and prance around like all the other pop sluts. (It's 2017, glorifying weed and "sticking it to the man" no longer is enough to make you be considered "alt")

Most modern country is pop country. Most modern rock on non-rock/metal stations is pop rock. See the pattern here yet?

Meanwhile hip-hop & R&B are almost never considered pop.
>>
>>72874008
as* not are, I'm tired
>>
>>72874021
>Meanwhile hip-hop & R&B are almost never considered pop.
then why do majority of modern pop hits. feature a rapper?
>>
>>72874041
To bring in the black audience? To give the song some "swagger"?

Rap can be played in the same places as pop music, but the music style is so different, nobody considers it pop.
>>
File: asap rocky_116.jpg (433KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
asap rocky_116.jpg
433KB, 1300x866px
>>72874073
>To bring in the black audience?
what black audience?
>>
rap has always had a pop side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE
>>
>>72873354
laugh at how stupid this fag is, sure
>>
>>72874097
>ice ice baby is an accurate representation of early rap
your statement isn't even wrong but come on man
>>
>>72874130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0
>>
>>72874130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUX-HYRtUA

early pop rap hit about being cucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg
>>
File: 1463728624425.jpg (94KB, 765x743px) Image search: [Google]
1463728624425.jpg
94KB, 765x743px
>>72874135
>Jesse J
>Juicy J

>My Bloody Valentine
>Bullet for my Valentine
>>
>>72873459
Pimp C didn't wanna be on Jay-Z's Big Pimpin at first because it sounded too much like a pop song. Bun B had to convince him to record his 8 bars, and then Pimp didn't wanna do the music video for several days.
>>
>all these kendrick defeners

lol
>>
>>72872992
Daily reminder Halsey is a hack

https://youtu.be/DuweYhMNZAo
>>
>>72873144
he's black
>>
>>72874548
pimp c is dead. dumbass
>>
Halsey is the retooled normie version of Lana Del Rey

let that sink in
>>
>>72876094
Lana del Rey is already pretty pop as it is, which makes Halsey a copy of a copy of a copy
>>
>>72876124
Exactly, but she is more of a genuine oddball with patrician taste (except Abel)

More importantly, Lana at least had the decency to HAVE A METACRITIC PAGE

seriously Anons, how much $ does it take to get Metacritic to pretend your reviews don't exist?
>>
>>72876302
lol holy shit
>>
so what's the concept with this new album she's doing
>>
>>72876742
counter culture pop music
except the supposed counter culture she's promoting is mainstream culture.
>>
File: gygtyut.png (18KB, 592x232px) Image search: [Google]
gygtyut.png
18KB, 592x232px
Melon got involved and she responded
>>
>>72878309
antony btfo
>>
>>72873780
>he point was how it's harder for female artists to maintain counterculture because they get boxed into pop

Most black artist get boxed into hip hop/rap tho
>>
>>72878309
kek
>>
>>72872992
Not to be an old guy yelling at a cloud but when I was young and stupid we thought we were indie by listening to The Strokes or The White Stripes, now tumblr kids think they are alt/indie by listeining to this bitch or Melanie Martinez like wtf.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.