[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Grimes best lyric? I havent gotten into Grimes, and depending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: 1136503.jpg (75KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1136503.jpg
75KB, 640x427px
What is Grimes best lyric? I havent gotten into Grimes, and depending on what you come up with I may or may not jump on the bandwagon.
>>
Not a single lyric but I do enjoy how Art Angels as a whole is a criticism against people who claim to be fans and like what she has to say but call her a sellout for going with a different sound. There's something humorous about her preempting that reaction and a significant amount of negative reviews entirely missing it.
>>
>>72812486
>Not a single lyric
I want a single lyric, more specifically her best one. I could never respect artist who cannot into good lyrics because I just assume they must be retarded :(
>>
And now it's gonna be, tough on me
But I will wait forever
I need someone now to look into my eyes and tell me
Girl you know you gotta watch your health
>>
>>72812434
>tattoo says beautiful
>she's ugly
kek
>>
>>72812753
Shes heartbroken but will wait forever to be happy again and in the meantime she needs one of her girlfriends to look out for her because she feels very fragile?

That what she means?
>>
>>72812611
>not listening to music for the sake of music
Anon, there are poetry readings for that sort of thing. This board is called /mu and NOT /lit for a reason.
>>
>>72812434
Any lyric in oblivion. Pick one.
>>
File: 0c58d29804dda9ee02931e52c388c0f0.jpg (746KB, 1252x1920px) Image search: [Google]
0c58d29804dda9ee02931e52c388c0f0.jpg
746KB, 1252x1920px
>>72812780
>she's ugly
>ugly
>>
>>72812434
Be a Body
Belly of the Beat
A lot deeper than they appear.
>>
its all tricks of the camera and make up that make her look attractive, even the way she dresses, and the way she colours her hair, contribute a lot to the illusion, why do you think she wears such brightly coloured and cool, unusual outfits, to distract from the fact that she's fugly. You can do this with some ugly people but not most. But even these pictures and carefully filmed footage all with just the right lighting can't completely conseal her ugliness.
I mean I'm not saying she has 0 natural appeal, she is a girl who's ugly and slightly pretty at the same time, and would look pretty sometimes in certain conditions / in some pics anyway, but my point is, its hammed up massively with jewish tricks
>>
>>72812892
So explain rap, cause that shit sure ain't music, by your definition.
>>
>>72812941

now imagine her without that hair, and without the make up she probably has on. Ugly huh? she's just very fucking talented at manipulating aspects of her appearance to emphasise a tiny edge some of her features give her
>>
>>72812892
But lyrics are 50% of songs, so to ignore lyrics is to miss half of it.
>>
>>72812892
Having said that:
>Soft skin,
>You touch me within,
>And so I know I can be human once again.
>I know you're faced with something
>That could consume you completely.
>
>Soft skin,
>You touch me once again,
>And somehow it stings 'cause I know it is the end.
>I hate that you're leaving.
>So why don't you talk to me?
>You act like nothing ever happened,
>But it meant the world to me.
>
>And you can't, and you can't
>See the weight in the trees.
>See the weight in the bees.
>See the weight in the part.
>See the weight in the heart.
>
>These are our,
>These are our fallen secrets.
>
>Soft skin,
>I held you within my heart.
>Until I feel you beside
>
>Soft skin,
>You never liked me to begin with.
>So now I'm suffering...
>
>Oh you can't, and you can't
>See the weight in the trees.
>See the weight in the bees.
>See the weight in the part.
And you can't, and you can't
See the weight in the heart.
>
>These are our,
>These are our fallen secrets.
>
>Soft skin,
>You touch me within,
>And so I know I can be human once again.
>I know you're faced with something
>That could consume you completely.
>
>Soft skin,
>You touch me once again,
>And somehow it stings 'cause I know it is the end.
>I hate that you're leaving.
>So why don't you talk to me?
>You act like nothing ever happened,
>But it meant the world to me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R00Vu7Ag7s
>>
>>72813038
It isn't. Simple. Rapping might often be set to music (aka "rap music") but it itself isn't the least bit musical (apart from it having rythmic delivery.) It's a form of contemporary poetic recitation.
Whether you happen to like it as a style or not.
>>
>>72813257
>but it itself isn't the least bit musical
Why not? it has the artistic organization of notes and rhythm, which is the definition of music.
>>
Ok I think Ive read enough. Sorry, since run-of-the-mill teenage girl heart ache isnt my cup of tea "Grimes" isnt for me.
>>
File: 1481313195299.jpg (22KB, 176x339px) Image search: [Google]
1481313195299.jpg
22KB, 176x339px
>>72812941
>chestlets
>>
>>72813067
>But lyrics are 50%
Go find your favorite song and count the number of individual words it cotnains. Now, go through the song again and start trying to count the number of individual musical notes it contains. See what happens.
>>
Grimes is ugly and hers musics shit
>>
>>72813309
>Go find your favorite song and count the number of individual words it contains.
Not relevant
>See what happens.
Go read copyright law and see what happens.
>>
her hands are more manly than almost every single person that posts on /mu/
>>
>>72813293
I mean taking lyrics without the context of music is kind of retarded but okay.
>>
Being myself makes me feel like
I can't touch the ground
Here on the earth makes me feel
Like I can't get the sound
>>
>>72813284
>which is the definition of music.
music = controlled pitch + controlled rhythm + lyrics (optional)
poetry = controlled rythm + lyrics (mandatory)

Rapping is a form of poetic recitation which is commonly accompanied by music, but it isn't music itself.
>>
>>72813373
>music = controlled pitch + controlled rhythm
This is what rappers do.

Hence it is music
>>
Midnight afternoon
Morning comes but not too soon
Ellsy wakes up in my bed
We are separate
Vampires in our nightly wear
I'm no longer happy there

Rosa Rosa Rosa
Oh where is my heart
Rosa Rosa Rosa
Oh where is my heart
I can never tell her
That she is a witch
Sewing up my heart again
Love in equal stitch
>>
>>72813390
>This is what rappers do.
Rappers/poets don't control pitch. They control vocal inflection, which is a distinctly different thing. Hence why poets, in general, are not automatically classified as musicians. Singing is a different skill.
>>
>>72813438
>Rappers/poets don't control pitch
Incorrect. You can literally map out the notes that are rapped. Since most raps are to musical backing tracks, there is an attempt to stay in key. Hence there is intentional harmonic organization, regardless of how simple/monotone/effective they are.
>are not automatically classified as musicians
The human voice is an instrument.
>Singing
When did I mention singing?

Whether you happen to like it as a style or not, it is still music.
>>
Too many to name just one

>one bullet in each lung, breathe then
>I know man that will marry your mum, get a visa, come to the country and dun your clart
>"Prez, I heard you're big in heaven" / I'm not surprised, I've been around since pre '97
>l don't rate none of ya banter, look! Your hairs the same colour as Fanta
>JME blam him, black bin bag him, Tesco chop him up and bag it, Madeline McCan him
>Well, yeah always ready, the black Nigerian's way to heavy
>>
>>72813544
>Demon you can't test me, your mum looks like Emile Heskey
>>
let me guess a few things about the average grimes fan
>insecure
>social anxiety
>crippling fear of >embarrassment/rejection
>only things that interest you are grimes, fapping, maybe music, and shitposting
>besides school or work all you do is browse the internet or lay around
>anything that doesn't provide instant gratification seems too hard and/or not worth it
>>
>>72813054
you're just an envious pleb. she's so much better than you it's not even funny.
>>
>>72813646
>projecting too much for your own good
>>
>>72813478
>You can literally map out the notes that are rapped.
In which case, it technically ceases to be rapping and becomes full-on singing. I never said that a rapper can't also be a singer, or also utilize singing (either theirs or someone else's) in their songs.
>>
>>72814879
>it technically ceases to be rapping and becomes full-on singing
By this logic, rapping doesn't actually exist, it's just a type of singing
>I never said that a rapper can't also be a singer, or also utilize singing (either theirs or someone else's) in their songs.
I didn't say you did. I said that all rapping can be mapped out harmonically, no matter who simple. Thus, it is indeed music, whether you want it to be or not
>>
File: grimes.png (757KB, 1303x1080px) Image search: [Google]
grimes.png
757KB, 1303x1080px
>>72813019
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if you find her ugly it doesn't mean everyone does the same.

>its all tricks of the camera and make up that make her look attractive, even the way she dresses, and the way she colours her hair, contribute a lot to the illusion
bollocks. she has thousands of pictures, photoshoots and candids and she looks good most of the time. like 95% of time. that's a huge percent for someone you claim she's ugly.

pic related: grimes with very little makeup. naturally beautiful.
>>
>>72814935
>bollocks. she has thousands of pictures, photoshoots and candids and she looks good most of the time. like 95% of time
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if you find her beautiful, it doesn't mean everyone does the same.
>>
>>72813327
u jealous? she could punch your fat face better.
>>
>>72813646
too much projecting, buddy. and you really wasted so much time writing that crap. get a life.
>>
>>72813019

Her look is irrelevant. Stop being a sexist asshole and discuss her music.
>>
File: tumblr_motxhqohxu1s45aaco1_500.jpg (45KB, 500x561px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_motxhqohxu1s45aaco1_500.jpg
45KB, 500x561px
Call me a pleb, but my favorite lyrics of hers are:

>I could live in the world just like a stranger
>I could tell you the truth or a lie
>I could tell you that people are good in the end
>But why, why would I?

To me, it sums up her approach as an artist: to "show", not tell. Take it for what you will.

TBQH, I don't love her music just for the lyrics. Lyrics like those are hard to find within her discography imo. I love her music because it keeps me company during my really banal daily grind. It brings back innocent feelings of infatuation and wonder like when I was 13 and felt like the first girl I ever asked out was the most beautiful girl in the world and the epitome of happiness. Yet Grimes' lyrics also remind me that reality can be cold and harsh. So it's a bittersweet feeling.

Of course, I don't think it's easy to get attached to her music, especially if you're surrounded by people who judge you for it. I was lucky not to be judged, and it turned out a few of my friends already liked her music.

I imagine that I wouldn't've gotten into her music when I was surrounded by guys who only liked playing testosterone-driven rock and hip-hop. Or when I was friends with a guy who got me into extreme metal like powerviolence, grindcore, doom. Or when I was learning to play changes over jazz charts with other jazz musicians.

Of course, I don't go around shilling Grimes as if she's the only music I listen to. She only takes up maybe 3% of what I listen to during the week, and I assume other Grimes fans are the same. Imo, if Grimes makes your life a little better, that's all that matters.

Keep on doing you, fellow Grimesfags.
>>
I also think getting into Grimes' music also requires a little appreciation for EDM production.

Drugs help a lot too, especially uppers.
>>
>>72813294
>posts anime character
>>
>>72812434
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable
Darkness
A chill rises from the soil
And contaminates the air
Suddenly...
Live has new meaning
>>
>>72813478
>Hence there is intentional harmonic organization,
Yes, in the form of conscious control over vocal inflection, but NOT conscious control over pitch (what distinguishes singing.) You can map out individual pitches in any form of verbal communication (especially if it was recorded and you happen to have a spectrum analyzer handy.) Rapping/reciting poetry is distinct from singing because it lacks the use of sustained vowel sounds, and therefore conscious pitch control.

>>72814913
>By this logic, rapping doesn't actually exist,
See above.
>>
>>72815693
Heill Óðinn
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.