[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So has he ever been a bigger asshole than this? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

So has he ever been a bigger asshole than this? I'm not that familiar with him but I'd be surprised.
>>
Oh sorry I thought it had a different filename.

Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - 30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth
>>
Wait, did he just mock Death Grips?
>>
These weren't rhetorical questions in case that wasnt clear.
>>
What about the record makes you think he is an asshole?
>>
>>72789104
On Wheat Bread he mocks/insults/derides all these fans who asked him simple fair questions.

And on He's Bad he not only insults someone who's dead and can't defend himself but he's outright wrong about stuff like his skin color which consequently makes Mark come off as an asshole.

Particularly Wheat Bread I would be hard pressed to think of any song in history as insulting to the fans let alone just in Mark's discography. And I just listened to the montage again and he ends it with someone giving him their demo and says he's thinking "fuck you"
>>
>>72786058

I know it might be difficult for you to entertain this idea, but he's actually not nearly as much of an asshole as you think he is. The only reason people hate him is because pitchfork told you to hate him for calling out Laura "queen of nepotism" Snapes on her bullshit. May I remind you they even called his banter "hillarious" before he started picking on their staff.

He's also one of the greatest songwriters alive with some good 15-20 perfect albums, even before you heard about him because of Benji, which is one of his weakest albums tbqh.

This shit is getting fucking old, but in time people will learn to appreciate how much they wasted their fucking time on Mark Kozelek memes instead of listening to his actual music.
>>
>>72789279
I literally have No idea what youre talking about.

I am talking about very specific instances and lines in this music. I am literally not talking about anything other than the music in this album. You're doing that.
>>
>>72789263
Seems to me like he is just saying what most artists are thinking when they encounter fans. I don't really find this to be assholish, but I can also see why one would.
>>
>>72789359
>he is just saying what most artists are thinking when they encounter fans.
That's quite an assumption. However if it's true, can you think of any song in history that has been this derisive towards fans? Offhand I'm only thinking of the band Fear and that was just at live shows that I know but I'm not that familiar with them either.
>>
>>72789393
Yeah, but to me it doesn't feel like he is actually telling his fans to fuck off or that they are stupid for wanting to talk to him. As he mentions: "Not a harsh type of "fuck you"
Just a light little "I-don't-wanna-talk-about-me-please-tell-me-a-little-about-you fuck you"".
>>
>>72789500
Ok well for example that's what a demo is. As I recall the first fan question he mocks was if he knew that David Bowie liked him. That person is basically telling mark they liked David Bowie. If he's so interested then he should ask them something about themselves. They're not just gonna come up to him and start randomly talking about themselves. Actually when I met Thurston Moore I kind of did this and I've always regretted it.
>>
>>72789318

He's an asshole because he's making a point of saying everything that comes to his mind. I'm pretty sure most artists think about this type of shit, fans are annoying 90% of the time, have you ever seen how people behave around someone they admire? It's fucking cringey.

To answer your initial question, he's also always been this type of a curmudgeon, bitter and melancholic man, which is kind of his appeal. I think it's quite admirable of him to just fully embrace the fact that he's not a saint. He's a lonely, bitter middle-aged man trying to be honest in a world where honesty is hard to come by, and his lyrics reflect this. He's also an extremely emotional man, in both sides of the spectrum. Granted he talks a lot of shit about anything that doesn't go the way he'd want, but he also appears to be sincerely respectful and loyal to those he loves. He even wrote a song called "I love my dad" for fucks sake, I can't even remember the last time I showed my own father some sign of affection apart from telling him I love him and visiting him from time to time.
I know it's ironic that I'm coming off as a fanboy defending him like this, but the only thing to me he's done that would be truly assholish was calling Laura Snapes a bitch on stage (which she was asking for really, but still, it's unjustified), some dumb stage banter, which was quite mild, compared to the kind of shit a lot of rappers say on a regular basis and still get praise from p4k, and hating annoying fans which, big fucking deal.
>>
Even the fucking Jesus Lizard have a song where the singer says he loves his mom and dad. I think that saying 90% of your fans are annoying and youre thinking "fuck you" is much rarer in music. And I'm not even talking about songs talking shit on hipsters. This song is outright talking shit to his actual fans.
>>
>>72789792

>I think that saying 90% of your fans are annoying and youre thinking "fuck you" is much rarer in music.

Well that's what's so good about his music then. He also doesn't hate 90% of his fans, that was my own opinion. He loves his fans enough to literally the letters they send him into lyrics.
>>
>>72789846

to literally turn*
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.