[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 16

File: 51fV96yqHtL.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51fV96yqHtL.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
Remember when Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, and a bunch of trust fund millennials were upset because they thought the guy who wrote "Desolation Row" wasn't a fucking poet?
>>
>>72781738
i remember
>>
>music isn't poetry
>who is robert burns

Bob Dylan was an excellent choice.
>>
>>72781738
oooh member when whiny liberals weren't around
oh i member
fuck off the only people i heard whining about it were people who thought Bob Dylan was a hack (you people on this website)
everybody else was fine with it
>>
>>72781789
I can think of plenty of artsy liberals on my social media who weren't happy with the decision
>>
File: no.jpg (177KB, 1021x959px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
177KB, 1021x959px
>>72781789
Yeah, nobody at all.
>>
>>72781866
i remember reading the vice article and thinking it was one of the weakest arguments i've ever read in my life, on par with a /mu/shitpost.
>>
>>72781958
>shitpost

To be fair you could apply that word to almost everything churned out by the halfwitted Vice hacks. What a piece of shit sub-tabloid rag that is.
>>
Bob Dylan is an incredible artist, but he doesn't write literature, it was still s stupid pander-ey decision to give him that award. It's almost insulting to his talents as a musician/performer. The melodies, instrumention and his manner of singing are all intrexicable, fundamental aspects of his songs. Yes I know some epic poetry used to be set to music, but those works aren't remembered by those accompaniments, like at all. With Dylan, it isn't even just sheet music or general folk melodies, due to the nature of recorded music, it is these singular performances that are preserved and exist in the cultural conscious. It's just not fucking literature.
>>
anyone who reads actual books knows that Dylan does not deserve that prize at all
>>
File: smg.jpg (28KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smg.jpg
28KB, 499x499px
>>72781738
Remember when Bob Dylan won the '''Noble''' and wanted nothing to do with '''them''' or their '''awards'''?
>>
>>72781738
I mean. You must be a moron to the history of music and Literature to say Dylan didn't deserve this.
>>
>>72781738
No, because it didn't happen like that at all. I am not a millenial, nor do I have a trust fund, and it sickened me, because what it said was that a multimillionaire rock star was more deserving of the prize than people who committed themselves all their lives to specifically literary forms. Dylan is a great librettist, but prizes already exist to acknowledge those accomplishments.
>>
>>72781993
Absolutely.
>>
>>72782018
Dylan has had ZERO (0) influence in literature. Nothing would change at all if he had never released a single song
>>
ITT: a shill fake arguing w/ themself about whether Dylan deserved a scam award

>>72782016
this

/thread
>>
File: hockey.jpg (64KB, 545x365px) Image search: [Google]
hockey.jpg
64KB, 545x365px
>>72781738
if they were going to give the prize to any songwriter it should have been Leonard Cohen. screencap this, 50 years from now when the nominees for 2016 are revealed, we're gonna find out Cohen was supposed to win but died too soon
>>
>>72782018
He really didn't. On the other hand you have people like Salman Rushdie not getting a Nobel Prize because:
>Rushdie was strongly favoured to have received the Nobel Prize in Literature but the Nobel organisers were later quoted as saying that they would have been "too predictable, too popular."

Nobody will remember Bob Dylan as a Nobel Prize Winner, though. As a matter of fact, I'd forgotten he had won it.
>>
>>72782016
will you please fuck off. Your conspiracies are annoying as fuck
>>
>>72782016
Yep. Based Bobby D
>>
They gave a million - the Nobel is a cash award, in case you didn't know - to a guy who wouldn't even notice it.

John Berger died in January at the age of 90.
>>
>>72782091
>conspiracy

Bob Dylan did petty much everything he could not to have anything to do with that little sham.
>>
>awards
Absolutely retarded. The Nobel is as important as the MTV awards
>>
>>72781993
>melodies, instrumention and his manner of singing are all intrexicable, fundamental aspects of his songs
Which is why they're covered so often and successfully by other artists in different styles?

>It's just not fucking literature
I disagree. Try reading some of his lyrics not set to music, I think in 50 - 100 years time we'll be seeing them in respected poetry anthologies.

>>72782009
These are my rather crowded, messy bookshelves.

I think Bob Dylan most certainly deserved the Nobel Prize.
>>
>>72782086
Cohen didn't die until after the announcement. He would have been a better choice, as he was a poet and novelist long before he was a songwriter.
>>
>>72782106
I'm pretty sure Bob would notice his balance going from 300 millions to 301 millions
>>
>>72782126
>respected

Only by idiots. A guy with a lot of Iain M. Banks thinking it was deserved doesn't surprise me.

Mass literacy was a mistake.
>>
>>72782087
>Nobody will remember Bob Dylan as a Nobel Prize Winner, though
>Says this in a thread about him winning the novel prize
Moron.....
>>
>>72781738

Would have been badass if Dylan didn't even show up to do the mandatory presentation/speech/lesson/concert or whatever that he needed to do to claim his award money, but I guess a Jew's gotta Jew what a Jew's gotta Jew
>>
>>72782086
OP here. I would have been just as happy with that decision.
>>
>>72782142
Maybe he checked to see it had gone in, but it won't have changed his life. There are literary writers older than him who have to teach for a living. The prize is for people like them, or was. Awarding it was also a way of saying that there are no American writers worthy of it - American whining about no American ever winning was a big issue in recent years. At least Dylan isn't Cormac McCarthy or some murder candidate like that, but still.
>>
>>72782159
>Mass literacy was a mistake.

Wow, that's the cuntiest comment I've seen on 4chan in years. Impressive (though please don't stop that from killing yourself).
>>
>>72782170
>Would have been badass if Dylan didn't even show up to do the mandatory presentation/speech/lesson/concert

He didn't!!!!!

He sent a taped speech on the condition no media be present

(and I think he only did that because he likes being alive)
>>
>>72782159
>This is why I'm antisocial
>>
I remember that, it was hilarious. The Nobel committee giving the middle finger to the whole of American literature by ignoring all the worthy American authors and giving it to a songwriter.
>>
>>72782214
You've been on the wrong boards. Your parenthetical comment is mangled.
>>
>>72782043
dylan committed his life to writing and because of that he earned his fortune. to this day he still stands alone in a lot of people's minds as one of the greatest lyricist ever because his words had a lot of meaning to the people who listened to them. he happened to be a fantastic song writer as well but he also revolutionized the way people write and think about lyrics and that must amount to something.
>>
>>72782236
fuck off shills w/ your whole stupid fake argument.

No one IRL debates whether Dylan was worthy.

We're just proud of him foe wanting nothing to do w/ their bogus award.
>>
>>72782159
>Mass literacy was a mistake.
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG
>>
>>72782225

I thought he ended up doing a concert in person that was separate from the actual award ceremony that he needed to do to be able to claim the award money? I don't know
>>
>>72782250
1. No, he committed his life to showbusiness.

2. To a lot of people who either don't read literature or are elderly hipppies who think that rock music was in some sense more meaningful than other pop before and after it.

3. We already have prizes for songwriting.

4. Populism meaning nothing is the entire point of the Nobel Prize.
>>
File: nbv.jpg (2KB, 97x97px) Image search: [Google]
nbv.jpg
2KB, 97x97px
>>72782225
nothing blue pilled about Bobby D

https://youtu.be/ftdeb4ejQSg
>>
>>72782242
No, that's including /lit/. Believe it or not I am capable of reading bestselling authors alongside more high-brow stuff as I read for pleasure rather than some pseudo-intellectual persistence at coming across as erudite.
>>
>>72782126
>Which is why they're covered so often and successfully by other artists in different styles?
There are like maybe 5 Dylan covers that have the same weight as his originals (and that's debatebale) and even still, they use the melodies, chord progressions, and overall song structure that he wrote.
>I think in 50 - 100 years time we'll be seeing them in respected poetry anthologies.
Jesus christ no we won't. We might not even have "respected poetry anthologies" in 50 - 100 years because poetry as a popular art form is basically dead. Songwriting is starting to take its place, largely due to people like Bob Dylan, which is why he should be praised as an artist (also I'm not saying there aren't good poets nowadays, just that as songwriting has became more and more of a focused art, the role poetry had for the public is being replaced by it). He still doesn't write literature.
>>
>>72782281
nope. he sent a taped speech on the condition that there be no press and that's it.

Bob's not Mark Kozelek or Father John Misty. He's been around the block a few times. He knows that $ aint free.
>>
Is it common for the nobel committee to award prizes for what a person did 60 years ago?
Cause Bob's literature ain't mattered since then.
>>
Cole Porter was a better lyricist than Dylan. He didn't win the Nobel Prize because he died before the boomers got cultural seriousness into a death grip of bullshit.
>>
>>72782290
>the world we can't see

Interesting
>>
>>72782290

Couldn't he just as easily be talking about God? As far as we know he's still a Christian
>>
>>72782209
>At least Dylan isn't Cormac McCarthy or some murder candidate like that,
What? McCarthy is a brilliant writer
>>
>>72782328
>>72782329
Youcan fuck off with your fake argument already. No one buys it.
>>
>>72782284
you sound like you take your preferred method of escape too highly
>>
>>72782294
No, /lit/ is one of the wrong boards. Anyone who calls refusing to consume garbage "pseudo-intellectual" is pure /lit/, the kind of person literacy is wasted on. You can't even spell "highbrow", that's how highbrow you are!
>>
>>72782354
Sure. It's an interesting way to phrase that though.
>>
>>72782303
>which is why he should be praised as an artist
What, you think evil = good, chaos = order? You are mistaken.
>>
>>72782355
>>72782371
fuck off shill

Let's discuss why Dylan wanted nothing to do with this allegedly prestigious award.
>>
>>72782328
Yes the Nobel is awarded for a writing career not a particular work, well in theory.
>>
>>72782369
Yeah no, again, the Nobel Prize is supposed to be a bulwark against this attitude, not an aid to it.
>>
>>72782354
No. The obvious connection would be Satan not god. A la selling your soul at the crossroads.>>72782355
>>
>>72782390
Because he's literate enough to know that giving it to him was completely wrong, aesthetically, morally and even categorically.
>>
>>72782371
Ah, spelling, the go-to attack for the dullard cocksucker.

So what's this fantasy board you refer to full of misanthropic geniuses such as yourself? /mlp/?
>>
>>72782355
No he isn't, he's a hilariously overwrought professional hick who needs to be kerb-stomped.
>>
>>72782399
>>72782411
Still with this retarded fake argument your having with yourself.

Bob Dylan wanted nothing to do with the (((Noble prize))).

That's the story here. (but you know that).
>>
>>72782429
>>72782432
>>72782441
Smh

The shills really don't want us discussing Dylan wanting nothing to do w/ the Noble prize.
>>
They say Dylan's a genius you know
>>
>>72782432
No, you are a pompous illiterate.

You don't even have the ability to carry your own words in your mind from minute to minute. You said it was the "cuntiest" remark you'd read in years. Do you seriously think nothing harsher has been said on /pol/ or /tv/ just within the last 24 hours?
>>
>>72782444
>>72782464
You want to pretend that the Zionist Jew Bob Dylan was somehow protesting something Jewish? OK.
>>
>>72782290
I suspect they've been fucking with Dylan since the very beginning.

Prob be dead if he wasn't a Jew.
>>
>>72782502
I think Bob has been trying to get away from the actual Zionists at least since he faked that motorcycle accident.
>>
>>72782469
But they're aging. Soon, uneducated "nurses" will spray their private parts with Febreze. Maybe some will get abused by the big guys who take those jobs for sexual reasons. Some will have party hats put on their dead bodies for selfies. The racist, self-regarding, worst generation are drinking in the last chance saloon. This is why they gave it to Dylan, a last attempt to persuade themselves that they weren't evil, weren't a heartbreak to their parents and a disgrace to their children and their children's children. The attempt will stand in the history of absurdity, and in twenty years we'll be rid of them all, God willing. Pity Sweden's going to be in the Caliphate, but fortunately, our generation was never seduced by the delusions of Whig history.
>>
>>72782533
Redpill me on this.
>>
>>72782473
>pompous illiterate.
>"mass literacy was a mistake"
>pompous
>POMPOUS

You're not only a cunt but you're a fucking hypocritical moron too. I'm not taking offence at at how "harsh" your statement was, I am astounded that anyone would be so arrogant as to believe that they are part of some elite to which education ought to be solely reserved.
>>
>>72782584
you think they just allow someone to become the 'voice of his generation'?

>>72782560
fuck off already shill. Dylan is loved and respected by multiple generations.
>>
>>72782623
Dylan was too much for (((them))), that's why they tried to assimilate him, and almost successeed
>>
>>72782731
something definetly went down.

There is a reason Dylan didn't want the award.

He certainly wasn't going to allow himself to be used.

A lot of 20 somethings could learn a thing or two from the old guy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzcwlmhfws
This is a fucking masterpiece, but only as a combination of its parts. The lyrics themselves would be absolute rubbish without his unique delivery. And then Dylan's voice can only sing these type of lyrics. I mean, try to imagine Dylan singing retarded rock and roll songs about cars, plus the melody and his harp and guitar playing. He does not deserve a literature award because he's a musician first, he has even said so himself.
>>
>>72782603
There we are, that's your level - whining. It's not arrogance. You're angry because your attempt to present yourself as part of an elite by showing us your bookshelves failed, and left you more vulnerable than if you hadn't bothered. The sooner you stop posting, the better you'll feel.
>>
>>72782623
When a music is intimidated by its own past achievements, that music dies.
>>
>>72782772
>something definetly went down.
He faked the accident because he was going to die unless he stopped, that's my favorite Dylan period, when he was playing ancient bluegrass songs while everyone else where doing all that retarded eastern psychedelic shit.
>>
>>72782829
fuck off Pajeet, your English sucks, and your point is incoherent

find honest work
>>
Imagine if in the year Dylan recorded his first album, the Nobel Prize had been awarded to Irving Berlin. That's how dreadful this was.
>>
>>72782840
>because he was going to die unless he stopped
I don't necessarily disagree, but there is a lot to this story no one knows.

and yeah, Pink House era was cool
>>
>>72782840
Yep, John Wesley Harding is his best album.

>>72782848
Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble. They live in a dangerously sclerotic culture.
>>
>>72782067
Because I said it, it is true
>>
File: jjj6r6.png (6KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
jjj6r6.png
6KB, 214x235px
>>72782882
>Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble. They live in a dangerously sclerotic culture.
>more incoherent offshore shill nonsense
>>
>>72782772
>He certainly wasn't going to allow himself to be used.
Bob Dylan - Chrysler advert
Bob Dylan - Cadillac advert
Bob Dylan - underwear advert
>>
>>72782882
>Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble.
fucking retarded
>>
>>72782870
>but there is a lot to this story no one knows.
Well yeah, that fucking hanger on piece of shit leech Bob Neuwirth that followed him everywhere, funny how after the accident he was nowhere to be seen near Dylan
>>
>>72782067
It's true, his influence is entirely musical. Look what happened when he started being musically hack while still doing a good job on the lyrics, like on Street Legal. He got panned. How many people can stomach Brownville Girl? He's a musician first, as he said himself.
>>
>>72782911
Maybe he wanted to do those.

I 100% believe he wanted to do the Cadillac and Victoria's Secret advertisements.

Dude was in an episode of Pawn Stars.

He does what he wants.
>>
>>72782938
yeah, he's all over Don't look Back.

But nah I don't think he has anything to do with it.

He played on the Rolling Thunder Revue tour.
>>
>>72781738
Desolation Row isn't a very good song from a literature standpoint

It's extremely clear he was just taking drugs and rambling
>>
>>72782941
>Maybe he wanted to do those.
Lel I'm pretty sure he's not even aware these ads exists
>>
>>72782924
It's really not. Imagine if the bands of the 60s had busied themselves pastiching parlor ballad songwriting. That's the situation we have now. Rock shouldn't still exist - its historical imperatives have completely gone.
>>
>>72782807
>part of an elite by showing us your bookshelves failed

Now we've got to the root of the problem. I was not attempting to come across as 'elite' in any sense of the word, I think I'm quite a normal down-to-earth person and moreover that anyone who believes themself to be 'elite' is invariably an utter cretin. I did however take exception to the absurd claim that anyone who reads could not possibly support Dylan winning the Nobel Prize, which is why I posted a photograph showing evidence clearly to the contrary.

>your level - whining
By all means feel smug about your own level, which from what I can see entails picking at peoples spelling and word choice whilst feeling supperior about your apparently incredible intellect. Arguing with you is like arguing with a verbose fourteen year old afflicted Asperger's.

>sooner you stop posting, the better you'll feel
I can't deny that one, I'm going to bed as it's 3am. Please do take the liberty of having the last word, though I assure you I'm not interested enough to check what you said in the archive tomorrow. I'm sure you know what they say about arguing on the internet and the special olympics.
>>
>>72782938
Albert Grossman is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more suspect than Bob Neuwirth.
>>
>>72782973
He's IN one of them.
>>
>>72782970
t. shill

fuck off already

>>72782973
lel, he was in them
>>
>>72782980
You're so insecure, it's sad.
>>
File: Bob-Dylan-Sally-Grossman.jpg (582KB, 709x735px) Image search: [Google]
Bob-Dylan-Sally-Grossman.jpg
582KB, 709x735px
>>72782983
Grossman let him fuck his wife, he's based
>>
>>72783015
Grossman is suspect as fuck.

He's like the Lyor Cohen of his day.
>>
>>72782993
>>72782999
That doesn't mean he's aware, Dylan's on the stratosphere by now, he's incapable of holding a normal conversation
>>
>>72783015
A literal cuck is based, now I've heard it all.
>>
File: ag.jpg (5KB, 160x208px) Image search: [Google]
ag.jpg
5KB, 160x208px
>>72783015
this (pic related) married that. Really makes you think.

>>72783031
>He's like the Lyor Cohen of his day.
or Harvey Weinstein
>>
>>72783035
For some reason I suspect he's very lucid as soon as the word "dollars" crops up.
>>
>>72783035
go take a walk around the block or something. get some air.
>>
>>72783072
Money is wonderful.
>>
File: albert_grossman.jpg (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
albert_grossman.jpg
23KB, 200x200px
>>72783031
Seems more like Dylan was the one pulling the strings, he did whatever the fuck he wanted then, the way he wanted it. He wanted to go down to Nashville to record Blonde On Blonde, he did it, he wanted to record acoustic songs with the Hawks, against everything that was going on, he did it, and he didn't even release those songs. Grossman was a yes man
>>
>>72783098
ehhhhh....that's a way to look at it

>>72783102
I highly doubt Grossman was a yes man. More like 'handler'.
>>
>>72783128
Dylan was unmanageable back then, drop this angle.
>>
>>72783178
I'm not saying he succeeded in doing it.

And everyone is 'manageable' if it comes down to it.

See Kayne West's 'dehydration'.
>>
>>72783128
I started to fuck sex workers this year. It's changed my life.
>>
>>72783201
Or Mark David Chapman :(
>>
>>72783207
For the worse, I'm sure you know this.
>>
>>72783178
Yeah, that's how he became a success in the entertainment industry, by being "unmanageable". Why the fuck are you believing the fables of your grandparents' ancient wanks? Do you think Captain Beefheart was telepathic as well?
>>
Did Dylan speak publicly about Vietnam?
>>
>>72783226
For the better. I was becoming a misogynist. That evaporated after my first paid fuck. I'm more confident in every situation now, I'm more at home in my body, more at peace with myself. To anyone who's gone without for a long time, or is a virgin like I was, I say this: fuck sex workers. There is no shadow side, only pure love.
>>
>Dylan sings about Civil Rights and is unabashedly leftist
>this somehow makes kikes scared, when they're the ones behind the leftist degeneracy
Pick one /pol/
>>
bob dylan sucks

the cat sat on the mat and ate and got fat he a good putty tat

those are typical dylan lyrics
>>
>>72783255
No, he'd stopped caring about the left as soon as he'd used them to make it big.
>>
>>72783258
>dumb shill's fake is it literature fake argument got BTFO so he resorts to this nonsense
>>
>>72783258
I bet you're this guy. No surprise you have to pay for it.

>>72782159
>>
>>72783262
Bob Dylan is a Jew who married a black women.

And ((())) is neither left nor right.
>>
>>72783284
He certainly got apolitical.

I did hear a recent podcast with Mike D where he was talking about meeting Dylan at a party in the 80s, and Dylan wanting to do a pro-smoking benefit show. Kek
>>
Is it true baby blue that every /pol/ thread that doesn't end up dead and doesn't go away becomes /r9k/?
>>
>>72783332
>And ((())) is neither left nor right
No, they are anti-white
>Dylan married a black woman
Exactly
>>
>>72783325
No, sorry to disappoint you. I thought you were going to bed?
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 600x566px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 600x566px
>>72782371
>You can't even spell "highbrow"

>1755+252
>being a prescriptivist

lmaoing at ur life lad

I suggest you track down a good entry level book like Burchfield's The English Language then beat yourself to death with it you fucking mouthbreather
>>
>>72783417
honestly doubt Dylan is that much of a lefty

>No, they are anti-white

That's neither left nor right anon.

The REAL left wing is labor. 'Progressivism' is fake left wing.
>>
>>72783258
>they only "love" you if you pony up cash
>pure love
bruh
>>
>>72782303
I agree fully to your second argument, but there are plenty of great Dylan covers out there.
>>
>>72783325
>>72783314

Not those anons. Don't believe the stigma, sex workers are great people nine times out of ten, and the relationship I have with them is perfect because it's so honest. Nothing nonsensical about it.
>>
>>72783482
fuck off shill
>>
>>72783371
In that situation, apolitical = right-wing.
>>
>>72783417
You don't think it's actually accepted in Jewish society to marry a black woman do you?

All that 'integration' shit they push is strictly for the goys.
>>
File: IMG_1044.png (335KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1044.png
335KB, 1242x2208px
>>72783449
We're both wrong in that case.
>>
>>72781738
peppermint farm remembers
>>
>>72783466
You're really determined to shed all dignity, aren't you?
>>
>>72783466

*1755+262

I fugged the date up but my linguistical point stands
>>
>>72783513
yeah, I hear you.

But to be real, I think Dylan is a classic liberal.

I mean an old-school pro-union type, not a modern 'progressive'.
>>
So what did happen to Dylan in 66? We know it wasn't the fake accident, why did he retire? He was bigger than the Beatles
>>
File: IMG_1045.png (427KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1045.png
427KB, 1242x2208px
>>72783535
>>72783549
He believes we are the anon he was arguing with earlier rather than several people believing he's a dickhead.
>>
>>72783482
That is the purest form of love. Nobody gives love without wanting to receive something in return. I can fuck a woman I am both attracted to and admire for a fraction of the money it would cost to take out a woman I'm not attracted to but is in my league, and who I probably won't like but will tolerate in the hope of a fuck two weeks from now, IF I get it up looking at her. No contest.
>>
>>72783598
fuck off with you nonsense shill

>>72783595
>why did he retire?
lot's or sketchy 'retirements' in the music 'business' anon

>>72783600
again, fuck off
>>
>>72783595
why did Lauryn Hill 'retire'?
>>
>>72783624
Man, it's easy and sweet, you should do it.
>>
>>72783600
if it was pure love she would get the same thing out of it you're getting, and wouldn't need you to pay up to make it worth it. not saying it can't be worth it or a good experience though. only taking issue with your claim that it's pure love
>>
>>72783643
She wanted to evade taxes full time
>>
File: Vac1thjbjao1_400.jpg (16KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
Vac1thjbjao1_400.jpg
16KB, 319x319px
>>72783664
>>72783693
fuck off Pajeet.

Your continued nonsense makes the thread more interesting, because apparently you really don't want us talking about this.
>>
>>72783624
>>72783643
So why didn't they make the Beatles "retire" too?
>>
File: index11.png (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
index11.png
5KB, 205x246px
>>72783708
yeah, that's right.... imprisoned by the IRS.

nothing to see there.
>>
>>72781993
Correct.
It's almost as if political views and artistic taste has little to do with why he actually shouldn't have gotten the award, from a certain point of view.

...For the record, I've checked and that's the New York Times' and Slate's arguments as well.

Hardly anything "liberal" about wanting to retain the traditional definition of an award established in 1901, is there?
>>72782159
But anon, then no one will be able to read and the award won't mean anything!
>>72782976
By that logic, hip-hop and what-have-you will soon cease to exist as well.
>>
>>72783736
um... you buy that Catcher in the Rye story?
>>
>>72783765
>hip-hop and what-have-you will soon cease to exist as well.
It's already in the decline
>>
>>72783765
keke

''''Noble Prize, '''NYT''' and '''Slate'''

Dylan didn't want anything to do with these assholes.

It is VERY obvious

end of story
>>
>>72783803
Rap died somewhere around 2006 or so.

Almost all of the 'rap' you see now is a 'Hollywood' forgery.
>>
>>72783772
So what the fuck are we talking about here? The elite killing or retiring rock musicians?
>>
>>72783846
Tupac retired young too.

I think Kanye is in the process of retiring.
>>
>>72783535

not him. I just find it hilarious that you are correcting the language of others when you have no grounding on the history of the spelling and grammar you autistically correct as well as no understanding of the natural evolution of language
>>
>>72783765
But hip hop isn't just imitating what it used to sound like. It's progressed, and rock music is now a conservative form.

>traditional definition

You mean purpose. Giving Dylan the Nobel was dumb.
>>
>>72783856
So that's what we're talking about, you think they'll go after Kendrick soon?
>>
>>72783693
I don't mean that the sex workers are in love with me, or vice versa, I mean that what we have together while the appoinment lasts is absolutely pure, because it has the best motives in the world for both parties.
>>
>>72783917
Kendrick is them

(but you know that)
>>
>>72783871
>grounding on

You may want to get a refund for that grounding, Pajeet.
>>
>>72783881
The Noble prize is run by the same people who run mainstram rap.
>>
>>72783959
>you are correcting

kek, we've got the JV shill team
>>
>>72783871
nope, no shills on /mu/. tinfoil etc.
>>
>>72783951
Dylan wasn't exposing anything at all, and wasn't dangerous for them either
>>
>>72784067
yeah. Agree.

I'm sure they weren't thrilled by him standing up their 'award' though. Maybe Bob is just too old too care at this point.
>>
>>72784119
So what do we do, the fucking plebs at the bottom, to stop them
>>
File: Robin Cucknold.png (294KB, 434x539px) Image search: [Google]
Robin Cucknold.png
294KB, 434x539px
>>72781738
friendly reminder that Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes is in that camp. He made an Instagram post that he later deleted like the little bitch he is, saying "Just dunno if it's literature per se.”

he added these responses in the comments of his post:

>love Bob till I die but I think writing something that could legitimately be called literature requires a sensitivity, empathy and brilliance way beyond the blunt instruments employed by most white rhyming lyricists. Dylan has some ineffable thing that "cuts" but he has the benefit of music and theatrical delivery. It's all pretty flat on the page. And like "there's lots of pretty girls in Mozambique" is no "A sudden blow: the great wings beating still Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed By the dark webs, her nape caught in his bill, He holds her helpless breast upon his breast.

>How can those terrified vague fingers push The feathered glory from her loosening thighs? And how can body, laid in that white rush, But feel the strange heart beating where it lies?

>A shudder in the loins engenders there The broken wall, the burning roof and tower And Agamemnon dead. Being so caught up, So mastered by the brute blood of the air, Did she put on his knowledge with his power Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?"

>thank you so much but... I just write to fit words into a melodic / rhythmic context most of the time... it's a puzzle to be solved and if some meaning or novel word combination leaks in then cool but I'm a musician / vocalist first and a writer dead last. I'd sooner self identify as a jogger. People like John Ashbery who devote their lives to language and it's vagaries / beauties deserve prizes like the Nobel, not lyricists regardless of how talented they are - it is a different craft entirely
>>
>>72781993
Some would say that dylan was a poet first and foremost and that the music was only just to enhance the lyrics.
>>
>>72784234
FUCKING ANSWER ME
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.