[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the biggest rock band of the 2010's? is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: radiohead.jpg (85KB, 1000x615px) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
85KB, 1000x615px
Who's the biggest rock band of the 2010's? is it still radiohead?
>>
still?? They have never been the biggest Rock band.
>>
probably yeah, rock is dead
>>
>>72726359
Sadly I would say it's coldplay. But neither Radiohead or Coldplay are "rock". Rock is taking a rest
>>
Muse
>>
>>72726418
/thread
>>
>>72726359
King Gizzard is the only relevant rock band I know of that isn't from 15 or more years ago
>>
>>72726533
>king gizzard
> relevant

like I love king gizzard and everything they're doing but they're really quite niche and aren't very well-known outside of /mu/. i don't know anyone irl who knows them
>>
Arcade Fire the moment their new album comes out which should be later this year
>>
>>72726399
oh no
>>
>>72726359
In what sense do you mean "big"? Because in America alone, during this decade U2 have had a Top 40 hit (with another one back in 2009) and sold over a million albums.

Not too sure about the rest of the world, but I would assume their popularity it about the same or slightly more most of in Europe (much more in the UK and Ireland obviously), much higher in Central and South America (Rock music is still incredibly popular down there), no clue about the rest.

They also had the highest grossing ($736 million) and most attended (7.2 million) tour of all time at the start of this decade. They've also headlined Glastonbury and just announced a new tour where over a million tickets sold out in under 24 hours plus a headlining slot at Bonnaroo.

However, the caveat is that they don't appeal to current youths and are no longer racking up huge mainstream hit after hit.

Their fanbase is mostly over the age of 30 and over, and only a small fraction is under the age of 18.

Among people of a certain age, they're viewed as having a 30 year reign as the titans of rock.
Among the youth, they're some band who did a song with Kendrick,but pissed everyone off when they put an album on my phone. I would reckon a fair amount have seen that South Park in reruns or the internet somewhere. Their knowledge of the band's music may or may not be Zero or include "Vertigo", maybe "Beautiful Day", and/or a snippet of a song from that crappy iPhone album you thought you deleted but still came up on shuffle somehow.
>>
>>72726608
They're known in any major music campus. I heard of them from a couple of friends before I noticed people here talking about them.
>>
>>72726870
But...they have such a stupid name. I really wouldn't want to tell anyone I listen to a band called that if they've never heard of them.
>>
>>72726866
this was why I posted this >>72726389

Anyone going to the opening of the JT 30th Tour in Vancouver Tomorrow Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol7G0BO51bM
>>
>>72726533

T H I S

H

I

S
>>
You need to clarify, OP. How are we measuring big. It depends on if we're limiting it to strictly contemporary rock bands (and then, what exactly is the cutoff for that) and/or still relevant rock bands (whatever that actually means).
If it's just biggest overall, I'd go with
>>72726866
They're probably the biggest based on metrics alone and, yeah, even managed to check the 'Top 40 hit' and 'Platinum album sales' boxes because they still have such a large fanbase, but it exists separate from the realm of most popular music-consumer youngsters. The Billboard chart is now a less accurate measure of true popularity than it ever was (see: songs can chart from even brief being featured in viral videos, albums can go multi-platinum from only one song from the album is streamed a shit ton, when an artist releases a new album all the songs flood the Top 40 and are gone the next week, the fact that most people don't listen to the Top 40 religiously anymore and find new music through computer algorithms, etc.)

Let's be honest, though, aside from their Kendrick collaboration, the younger crowd isn't going to ever hear new U2 music, unless they listen to alternative and rock stations where the band still gets played or U2 somehow goes full pop-EDM (a la Coldplay) and has a massive hit.

Let's be real though...
Most of today's tastemaking generation (12 - 25) has largely abandoned both current rock music (especially bands that are more modern versions of what is traditionally considered alternative rock and indie rock) and older rock music from say 2000 backwards (because le dadrock meme).

Otherwise I'd probably say like 21 Pilots or some shit. They're very tenuously rock, but, yes, still technically rock.
>>
Is Gorillaz an instrument?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.