[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we finally just admit that there's nothing to music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 8W_jyh3_fq4.jpg (18KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
8W_jyh3_fq4.jpg
18KB, 380x250px
Can we finally just admit that there's nothing to music criticism or analysis other than "I like these sounds" or "I don't like these sounds"? Even if a review pads it out with other things, it always just comes down to just that.
>>
>>72720960
I guess but the descriptions make it worth reading/listening/watching.
>>
ye but the review is why the reviewer likes or does not like the sounds
>>
>>72720992
>I guess but the descriptions make it worth reading/listening/watching.

That might be helpful if it was like, the 90s and you couldn't just listen to albums on the internet and hear for yourself, but it's not the 90s anymore.
>>
>hundreds of years of established and documented music theory
>consistent reinforcement of what 'good music' is
>artists influencing others
>not worth criticism
>>
>>72721004
>why the reviewer likes or does not like the sounds

There is no why. It's just, "this sounds good" or "it doesn't." It's like explaining why a certain food tastes good. It's an abstract, purely aesthetic sense. It just tastes good to your tongue.

The only concrete thing you can look at is the lyrics, but not a lot of people care about lyrics.
>>
>>72721011
You would want to know what is in the song before you listen to it. That's what reviews are.
>>
File: fucboi.jpg (51KB, 450x675px) Image search: [Google]
fucboi.jpg
51KB, 450x675px
Music degree faggot:

>Wow, you listen to this trash? You can't even hear all the individual instruments being played, it's just a jumbled mess. What fucking awful notes being played. I bet you don't even understand notes. What a pleb you are.

Normal person:

>Not a huge fan of how this sounds, maybe you could show me some other music that I might like?
>>
>>72721088
Music degree faggot > Normal person
>>
>>72720960
Music criticism is worthless, but it can help you distinguish what you like and don't like to hear.
>>
>>72721143

If it can help you do something, it's by definition not worthless. Way to contradict yourself in one sentence. Idiot.
>>
File: disappointment-03880.jpg (52KB, 358x516px) Image search: [Google]
disappointment-03880.jpg
52KB, 358x516px
>>72721049
>food analogies
>>
>>72721049
yes but if you hear something and like it and show it to someone who doesn't like it you can explain to him why you like it and the certain aspects that are important in order to enjoy the actualy piece, unless you don't like it and you say why you don't like it.
>>
>>72721049
>The only concrete thing you can look at is the lyrics
do you even know how to read/play music?

>>72720960
if liking things is totally random, why do groups of people like the same things?
>>
>>72721143
Then it isn't useless, is it?
>>
>>72721049
I guess the only other concrete thing you can judge it on is skill and effort
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.