[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

saw this chap live last night and was told to put my phone away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: bob-dylan.jpg (173KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
bob-dylan.jpg
173KB, 640x360px
saw this chap live last night and was told to put my phone away for taking a picture mid concert

whats your opinion on artists banning photos/videos at gigs?
>>
>>72691592
Unless it's excessive or they are playing new songs they don't want spoiled by live videos put online, I think it's dumb.
>>
>>72691592
take a single photo, or a short video. but no more than 15 seconds. anything more and you're a douche.
>>
>>72691612
fpbp
>>
>>72691592
>whats your opinion on artists banning photos/videos at gigs?

Brilliant. I went to see David Gilmour in London and was constantly distracted by loads of people around me filming large chunks then subsequently conversing about said footage via text or social network. Just pay attention to the fucking concert and have a good time.
>>
>>72691616
why?
>>
>>72691640
the phone lights are distracting from the audience perspective. from the performer perspective i'm assuming the lights and flash are even more so.
>>
>>72691691
why would you use a flash at an adequately lit gig?

i'm not for retards filming shows in their entirety, but if someone was stupid enough to use their flash then surely they'd film the area immediately in front of them rather than the stage
>>
I'm all for it.
>>
I actually support banning phones at shows if the artist feels like it.
It sounds like "hurr you kids and your phones" but it kind of pisses me off to see an artist putting their all into a live performance and EVERYONE around me just staring at their phones, posting things to their Snapchat stories or Instajew. I understanding taking a couple of quick pictures but you can wait until after to post them and get your precious four Twitter bot favorites. Don't ruin the experience for others by having your ultra-bright screen on constantly and having the camera flash go off every ten seconds.

Another thing a lot of people don't realize: When you're the one performing and you look down at the crowd and everyone's standing motionless staring at their phones, it's the most disheartening thing in the world.
>>
>>72691734
even if they don't use a flash the lights are annoying. also i've heard some musicians talk about how they're disappointed that it takes some of the impermanences and uniqueness of a show and defeats it. a newly debuted song, bad/great performance, live banter become shared with tens/hundreds of thousands.
>>
>>72691616
this

1 single non-flash photo at the beginning or end of the set is ideal and least harmful to anyone
>>
>>72691893
i totally get that people watching a show through their phone is a bad thing; i've just never seen anyone stupid enough to use the flash. worst i've seen was Michael Gira shout at someone until they put their phone away. maybe i need to go to more pop shows.
>>
Anyway, asides from your butthurt was Bob good? I tried to get tickets for Glasgow on Sunday but sold out, to be honest the previous gig I saw about five years ago was really fucking shit though so I was sceptical. He's my favourite musician but I've heard his gigs are extremely hit and miss, the one I went to was a definite miss.
>>
>>72691946
i've seen flashes while watching live footage (recorded by professionals like at rock in rio or something) if i remember correctly
>>
>>72691971
good for you.

>>72691958
depends on the venue: the smaller the better. he alternates between wanting to be Elvis and wanting to be Bob Dylan, and the venue goes hand-in-hand with this - get him on a rockstar night in a big venue and it's good for what it is, but Bob Dylan is at his best when he's himself in a (relatively) small place. choose wisely and hope for the best, he's still worth catching when he hits his stride.
>>
>>72691958
OP here, I'd say this one was a hit, was surprised to hear him play Don't Think Twice and Tangled up in Blue, thought it was going to just consist of him at the piano playing mostly Sinatra covers. Didn't play guitar once though, his encore was Blowin' in the Wind and no one seemed that excited about it. Things Have Changed and Duquesne Whistle stole the show
>>
>>72692181
>Don't Think Twice

Gah fuck now I really wish I'd got tickets. Glad it was good OP.
>>
>>72691592
People taking pictures at shows are only half as annoying as the pretentious cunts who relish the opportunity to point out how much better they are for "living their life in the moment" and not taking pictures.

Keep your brightness all the way down and don't hold your phone above your own eye level and nobody should give a shit.
>>
>>72692204
Thanks man, I reckon he's got a good few years left in him you'll be able to see him at one point
>>
>>72692233
I agree, I saw Green Day in February (say what you will) and Billie Joe kept going on about how we shouldn't be living life looking through our camera phones yet kept posing for like 20 seconds after every song whilst everyone took pictures
>>
>>72691592
How was his voice? I hear it varies a lot from night to night.
>>
File: cll.jpg (7KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
cll.jpg
7KB, 222x227px
>>72691592
dope

fuck your stupid phone/social media culture
>>
File: Fripp.jpg (17KB, 325x299px) Image search: [Google]
Fripp.jpg
17KB, 325x299px
>>72691592
Reminds me of a certain guitarists...
>>
Get your nose out of your fucking phone and actually enjoy the experience that is happening around you, millenial fag.

Fucking disgusting.
>>
The arguments that it is distracting for the audience and performer are true but I like watching / listening to live acts online if it's an event I would have liked to go to but couldn't. Also, in some cases the artist plays tracks that aren't available elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YIT9JSMqIo

For example, he's got a squarepusher collab track he hasn't officially released but he plays for shows. If it weren't for people recording it I wouldn't know about it.
>>
>>72693448
Sounded just like Louis Armstrong
>>
As an audience member, if youre banning phone photography, may as well ban vaping/smoking/talking while you're at it cause you're not even making a tiny dent in the amount of distraction caused to audience members
>>
>>72693689
(:
>>
>>72693758
>vaping
>>
>>72691592
>whats your opinion on artists banning photos/videos at gigs?
awesome

I'm sick of the slack-jawed glowing screen bullshit
>>
>>72693780
edgy
>>
>>72692233
I can guarantee that someone else will have better quality video than you and you'll most likely find it on YouTube a couple of days after the show. Not to mention that most festivals get recorded by local TV stations. So, out your phone in your pocket and enjoy what you paid to see and hear.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.