[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American Football by American Football is the best record I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: American_football_band_lp_cover.png (109KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
American_football_band_lp_cover.png
109KB, 316x316px
American Football by American Football is the best record I've found on /mu/.

D'you know any more albums like it?
>>
no drum and bass in the jazz room
>>
>>72663975
Were you, by any chance, a teenager living in the suburbs between 1995 and 2002?
>>
>>72663975
Empire Empire
Hightide Hotel
You Blew It's early stuff
There's a LOT out there. AF isn't a rarity.
>>
>>72664080
this
>>
>>72663975
The One Up Downstairs is extremely similar because its basically the same band but lesser-known
>>
>>72664080
That's is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's so happy. Shame that the album cover is of an old reddit meme. I always use the alternative cover
>>
Algernon Cadwallader
Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit

and also these
>>72664203
>>
American Football is pretty similar but not as good
>>
>>72664257
Those bands are great, but they arent very similar to AF.
>>
June of 44- anahata
>>
Why couldn't American Football have made that entire album instrumental?
>>
>>72664313
Why couldn't they have a qt shoegaze girl do the vocals?
>>
>>72664174
Close. I lived in an apartment downtown. It was a nice apartment though, in a relatively nice area.
>>
mediocre indie rock
>>
>>72664407
Yeah, the pattern still stands
You're just a 90s Teen with superior taste to your fellow men, but still a 90s Teen.
Stop letting your personal experiences to influence your taste on music, and then you will ascend
>>
This album is great but if you want anything else like it I'd suggest going back to the time period it was made. There are a lot of modern knock-offs that are like >>72664447 that are inspired by it that sound like the equivalent of a wet piece of paper
>>
>>72664313
agreed.

or at least taken the Slint approach and done separate short stories, not personal whiny ones. It dates everything so horribly bad. I can listen to Spiderland till I'm a pile of bones but this album is hard to get into now.
>>
>>72664461
But them super nice double-tracked clean guitar tones, anon. Them cool drum segments, anon. Them "I can't believe it's not Neutral Milk Hotel" saxophones, anon. No hate, anon. :(
>>
>>72664512
Yes, Neutral Milk Hotel, yes... another one...

Be neutral while judging music. Don't be influenced by your prejudice
>>
>>72664510
Yeah, that's what I mean.

It feels somewhat juvenile lyrically. Don, Aman is similar thematically but it's just done way better and gives it a lasting quality.
The instrumentals are very well done and atmospheric, but the lyrics and vocals are 100% melodramatic.
>>
Nothing more that watered down math rock, you probably like TTNG too :p
>>
>>72664480
Honestly a lot of other emo or early post-rock or math rock albums haven't made such an impact as AF. Also I'm almost certain that there's nothing quite like it, as there is nothing quite like Slint's Spiderland. Have to mention I listen to both of those albums from the perspective of the people playing the instruments, and I like music that's equally as fun to play as it's fun to listen to.

>>72664551
There's nothing I have to prove to you. I like music in general. Not exclusively >>72664447.

>>72664594
Never even heard of TTNG.
>>
>>72663975
Planet of Ice by Minus the Bear but it's not emo, just straight up math rock
>>
>>72664080
>no drum and bass in the jazz room
Is this the only good album in this thread?
>>
>>72664890
no
>>
File: 1493395986929.jpg (49KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
1493395986929.jpg
49KB, 500x748px
>>
>>72664552
Exactly. Don, Aman is probably the most relatable and angstiest song on the record. But at no point is it whiny, it's very introspective and level headed. The conclusion to that story is Don coming to terms with himself and the decision he made, he isn't blaming others for his anxiety, nor is he displaying a juvenile sense envy over them either.

>Don stepped outside
>It felt good to be alone
>He wished he was drunk
>He thought about something he said
>And how stupid it had sounded
>He should forget about it

Even the introduction to the song makes all this clear. Instead of dwelling, at the very start he makes a mental effort not to, and goes back inside. A lesser lyricist would have turned a story like this into a fucking trainwreck of teenage angst, but Britt's song writing is so eloquent and comes from such a levelheaded and mature place that it feels timeless.
>>
Tim kinsella is the superior kinsella brother
>>
>>72665135
lol
>>
American Football is a good album, too bad American Football was less of a step down and more of a trip down the entire flight of stairs
>>
>>72666545
You probably like Paul more too, don't you?
>>
>>72663975
appleseed cast - low level owl
>>
>>72666748
what about American Football?
>>
>>72666892
this
>>
>>72664237
and what would that be? the one with the sky viewed through some glass?
>>
I wasnt into music other than the radio smash hits before /mu/. Thanks I guess.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.