[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Interviewer: Your music has been hugely influential. One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 0c01aeb27b0f178a9975c9f1aef38fcb.jpg (117KB, 770x1033px) Image search: [Google]
0c01aeb27b0f178a9975c9f1aef38fcb.jpg
117KB, 770x1033px
>Interviewer: Your music has been hugely influential. One of the more prominent musicians who’ve said that they’ve been inspired by your records are Radiohead? Did you listen to any of their last two album „Kid A“ and „Amnesiac“?

Richard: I don’t like them. I heard maybe five or six tracksand I thought they sounded really really cheesy.

>Interviewer: Cheesy?

Richard: Yeah, really obvious and cheesy. I mean I’m just comparing it to my favourite music and I think it’s terrible compared to that. But compared to all the shit boring R&B tracks it’s probably alright. Compared to those teen punk sort of bands or whatever they are supposed to be called, who think that they are really anarchic and stuff like that, they are probably amazing. If you’re only exposed to that kind of stuff and then Radiohead come along you will probably think that they are geniuses.

>Interviewer: Don’t you think it’s a good thing if only one percent listen of the people who buy a Radiohead album will then go and check out stuff like Rephlex?

Richard: I’m not that bothered honestly. I’m quite happyn with the state of things at the moment. I like there to be shit music around. I like people to not be informed of what’s around. If too many people would listen to what I listen to I wouldn’t like it. I always wanted to be seen as being different. I like to like things that other people don’t. If Merzbow was in the charts I wouldn’t like it anymore. Some people don’t wanna do what everyone else is doing and some people do. It’s very simple. (laughs)
>>
What a pretentious asshole.
>>
File: i-care-because-you-do-cover.jpg (127KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
i-care-because-you-do-cover.jpg
127KB, 1200x1200px
>>72613881

"The best musicians or sound-artists are people who never considered themselves to be artists or musicians," he says. "I'm just some irritating, lying, ginger kid from Cornwall who should have been locked up in some youth detention centre. I just managed to escape and blag it into music."
>>
>mfw this is a real interview
Jesus Christ I didn't think he was such a pretentious faggot
>If too many people would listen to what I listen to I wouldn’t like it
This nigger is literally /mu/ incarnate in a bad way.
>>
>>72613913
He's right tho. Radiohead came along and tried to ape the style of himself and a lot of Warp and lesser known artists. They exposed that kinda music to a much wider known audience sure. Got a lot of 'rock people' to listen to electronic music. Radiohead were basically amateurs at that kind of stuff tho and to people that were deep into that scene I'm sure it sounded pretty well... amateurish.
>>
One of my favorite Aphex Twin little things: In this video of him backstage there's this really cringe moment where a kid comes up and talks about how thanks to Richard he now builds sequencers or something in Reason or something. It's such a brief moment, but then 20 years later Richard has been pretty active on soundcloud and actually talking to fans quite a bit, and in one comment he quotes the kid in this video verbatim. It was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9G1sdo8UTY
>>
>>72613951

I think Kid A and Amnesiac are more respectable as rock records than electronic ones for that reason. They're a rock band who used their time in the spotlight to dip their toe in the pool of underground shit but it was just that - dipping their toe in the pool. Less admirable things have been done with one's 15 minutes of fame so fuck it, it's fine.
>>
>>72614096
If you do a thing tho, dedicated your life to it, all of your friends have dedicated all their lives to it and then some dudes do it for 15 minutes and get more acclaim than you and all of your friends combined for it, every interviewer you talk to asks you about it. Yeah, you're probably not gonna think Thom Yorke is some genius.
>>
The funny thing about this is I have a book lying about somewhere where they play Stockhausen some Aphex Twin and vice versa and ask them what they think and Stockhausen's response is similar to what Aphex is saying about Radiohead.
>>
>>72614096
I think that was always the intention though - people always attack Radiohead for trying to be an electronic group, but I don't think they were. They mixed rock with these electronic elements (along with some slight Jazz elements) to create something more out-there that would both be interesting musically, but less accessible to the large fanbase that they'd built up. They hated being popular because it was super stressful for them (the OK Computer tour was such a mess for them that they nearly broke up over it), so they put out something controversial to take some attention off of themselves and have some room to play around, enjoy themselves, and make some interesting music without as much pressure from an enormous fanbase or slew of critics.
>>
>>72615596
Oh yeah, I remember that. I think James responds that you can't dance to Stockhausen
>>
>>72615596
>>72615716
Stockhausen on Aphex:
>I heard the piece Aphex Twin of Richard James carefully: I think it would be very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth, which is electronic music, and a young boy’s voice singing with himself. Because he would then immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look for changing tempi and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction in its sequence of variations.
>>
>>72615759
Aphex on Stockhausen:
>Mental! I've heard that song before; I like it. I didn't agree with him. I
thought he should listen to a couple of tracks of mine: "Didgeridoo", then
he'd stop making abstract, random patterns you can't dance to. Do you reckon
he can dance? You could dance to Song of the Youth, but it hasn't got a
groove in it, there's no bassline. I know it was probably made in the 50s,
but I've got plenty of wicked percussion records made in the 50s that are
awesome to dance to. And they've got basslines. I could remix it: I don't
know about making it better; I wouldn't want to make it into a dance
version, but I could probably make it a bit more anally technical. But I'm
sure he could these days, because tape is really slow. I used to do things
like that with tape, but it does take forever, and I'd never do anything
like that again with tape. Once you've got your computer sorted out, it
pisses all over stuff like that, you can do stuff so fast. It has a
different sound, but a bit more anal.

>I haven't heard anything new by him; the last thing was a vocal record,
Stimmung, and I didn't really like that. Would I take his comments to heart?
The ideal thing would be to meet him in a room and have a wicked discussion.
For all I know, he could be taking the piss. It's a bit hard to have a
discussion with someone via other people.

>I don't think I care about what he thinks. It is interesting, but it's
disappointing, because you'd imagine he'd say that anyway. It wasn't
anything surprising. I don't know anything about the guy, but I expected him
to have that sort of attitude. Loops are good to dance to...

>He should hang out with me and my mates: that would be a laugh. I'd be quite
into having him around.
>>
>>72615771
>there's no bassline
kek
>>
>>72613881
>If too many people would listen to what I listen to I wouldn’t like it.

I refuse to believe someone, somewhere, in the real world and not the internet, actually said this in an interview out loud. I'll just cover my ears if anyone says otherwise.
>>
>>72614004
This kid is name dropping DAWs and software sequencers and Richard is just looking at him sideways like "Software is such a fucking cop out kid, go buy some hardware."
>>
Wasn't Merzbow in that Madonna video?
>>
>>72617395

not everybody can afford 100 thousand dollars worth of equipment. There is nothing wrong with software, it's how you use it.
>>
>>72613881
Such an edgelord
>>
>>72619264
>>72616323
He is taking the piss, lads. 90% of what he has said in interviews are jokes. Calm your tits.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.