[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a musician, I'm trying to find a specific niche to fit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (181KB, 402x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181KB, 402x604px
As a musician, I'm trying to find a specific niche to fit myself in or a "gimmick" (that isn't cheap) to set myself apart from the crowd.

How do I do this?
Should it just arise naturally?

The music I make is mostly inspired by Bob Dyaln, The Mountain Goats, Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Beatles. It's very lyric driven and slightly psychedelic.

I've thought about possibly selling myself as an old timey folk singer to go with the nostalgic angle, but I'm not sure if that's the right way.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>72594536
i cant believe she is dating an asian guy
>>
be the wheelchair guy, we don't have a wheelchair guy yet. remember the bk kids club? they had a wheelchair guy and that was the 90s. if you roll up in your wheelchair to pitchfork hq playing your guitar they'll be like "oh fuck we need a wheelchair guy" and you're fucking in
>>
>>72594562
lmao
>>
>>72594536

For that kind of music, your niche is mostly going to come through your lyrics, specifically what you talk about and how you talk about it. Vocal cadence and preferred chords and play style on the guitar are also part of it. Just figure out what sounds good to you and sing what you know, or at least what you're good at writing.
>>
>>72594562
hm and then everyone thinks ur paralyzed and bringing u bananas n whatnot then u just get up n wreck shit
sounds solid
>>
File: WhenTheAcidKicksIn.gif (2MB, 449x253px) Image search: [Google]
WhenTheAcidKicksIn.gif
2MB, 449x253px
>>72594536
Maybe actually write stuff that you are artistically able to justify?

Once you start getting good thats when you need to make commercialization decisions.
>>
>>72594609
This is helpful insight. Thanks
>>
>>72594536
You have zero personality if you have to ask that
>>
>>72594536
>The music I make is mostly inspired by Bob Dyaln, The Mountain Goats, Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Beatles. It's very lyric driven and slightly psychedelic.
That sounds really boring. Maybe you need to make your music darker and more than "slightly" psychadellic. And make the lyrics more violent and offensive but in a feminist way.

Also, are you a girl and are you pretty? If yes just work on a unique indeh image, if no you need to find a qt (preferably non-white) girl to do back up vocals and some basic instrumentation. Best of luck
>>
>>72594536
Apple theme, every album cover can be an apple and it will remind girls of when they liked twilight. If youre ugly you have to wear a mask all the time though, unless youre ugly in a way that works, you know
>>
>>72594536
>As a musician, I'm trying to find a specific niche to fit myself in or a "gimmick" (that isn't cheap) to set myself apart from the crowd.

you already have one and it's called "YOU". Look back on your life, where you grew up, your ancestry and heritage, what kind of music comes from there, what kind of music comes from where you grew up, and most importantly, what kind of music comes from where you live now. Be a student of the musical history of You and Your Location.

A niche forms when you understand and can play the type of music you are "supposed" to be playing, but you do it your own special way, which is whatever you add or whatever technique feels good for you. Doesn't have to be complicated.

>The music I make is mostly inspired by Bob Dyaln, The Mountain Goats, Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Beatles. It's very lyric driven and slightly psychedelic.

maybe look up videos on how those artists wrote and what their writing process was like, a lot of those guys have a lot of humor worked into their lyrics. I find humorous lines to be so so so undervalued in music. A lot of these guys sit down and watch the news or read newspapers to get ideas on storytelling. And that goes for artists in other genres as well. The news is a powerful tool to help your mind get in a specific place to write.

>I've thought about possibly selling myself as an old timey folk singer to go with the nostalgic angle, but I'm not sure if that's the right way.

never sell yourself as anything other than yourself.

hope this helps :)
>>
>>72595000
Not op but but the best advice out there.
>>
>>72594536
Name yourself Grampers McGhee and pretend you're a crochety old man, always complaining about how you never go out anymore and lambasting your audience about their phones and how loud they are. Sort of like Mark Kozelek, only with a country accent and geriatric make-up. Jethro Tull used to have the same act, but no one will remember.
>>
>>72594562
wheelchair girl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oSeODGmoQ
>>
File: OPEN WIDE.jpg (656KB, 1460x3425px) Image search: [Google]
OPEN WIDE.jpg
656KB, 1460x3425px
>>72595134
Wow that voice! I lasted 3 seconds and noped the fuck out. Jezzus.
>>
>>72594536

that plate weights more than her, no way she's gonna eat all that
>>
>>72594562
This guy is onto something, you should work for a record label as an idea guy
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.