[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much money do I need to spend on a record player to get decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: record-player-049.jpg (53KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
record-player-049.jpg
53KB, 700x450px
How much money do I need to spend on a record player to get decent sound quality?

I just started getting into vinyls recently and decided to get something cheap because I figured it wouldn't be *that* big of a difference. I got a Jensen JTA 230, which has pretty good reviews, but it ended up being shit. Sound quality was mediocre, pitch control didn't work, speed was too fast by default but would slow down and speed back up randomly, etc.

So now I'm ready to spend a little more money. After doing some research though, it kind of seems like most people recommend turntables that are $200-$400 and sometimes even more, which is fucking ridiculous. Can I get something good for ~$100, preferably less, or should I just abandon my vinyl collection in it's youth?
>>
>>72582921
Also, unrelated but why the fuck do so many reviews spend so much time talking about how the turntable looks?

People only give a shit about turntables for the sound quality, right? Why else would you drop so much money on music? You don't get a record player to stare at the player, you get it to play music
>>
>Can I get something good for ~$100
No, unless you get lucky at a junk shop.
>>
>>72582965
>>72582921
You can get lucky in my shop ;)
>>
Audiotechnica lp60 is pretty decent and reliable. Not the greatest quality ever but it won't damage your records like Crosley shit..
>>
>>72582965
So do I need to pay a month's rent just to be able to listen to my records?
>>
>>72582921
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QKP5UFO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N0NSV6B8ZOG9&coliid=I2WCK1XDYIMN1G

;-)
>>
OP here

My parents have an old record player that isn't in working condition right now. I think it just needs a new belt and needle. Will that end up bringing down the price so I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to get good sound?
>>
>>72583488
you're probably gonna still need a phono preamp and/or amplifier

or you could get this phono preamp with a headphone input and rca output to powered speakers

https://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Plus-PS/dp/B000BBGCCI/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1468382875&sr=8-16&keywords=phono+preamp
>>
>>72584632
I already have all that taken care of, plus speakers, mixer, rca ins and outs, etc
>>
>>72584685
yeah, then if its a decent turntable youre fixing up then go for it.
or just buy a cheap technics from the 80s on craigslist
>>
unrelated but where do you guys get your vinyls from? everything i want is at least $20 if i'm lucky, i'm gonna go broke :(
>>
>>72585606
yeah, it's an expensive hobby. usually get mine from discogs or ebay
>>
>>72585606
the price of records varies on your taste in music. If you're trying to buy old records then your best bet is a tiny, unorganized store in some hole in the wall that you can get sick from being in for too long.
The selection is huge and each record is like 5 dollars.

Heres a pic of the place i go in Amityville, NY
>>
>>72585819
only two places in my town sell vinyls: Barnes and Noble and a Bookman's that has maybe 1/10 of what your picture shows for their entire collection. Barnes and Noble is expensive and all the people that work and shop there are pretentious snobs and fags

phoenix is only like 1.5 hours away though. i guess i'll just have to find an excuse to go there every once in a while
>>
>>72585877
make that 1/20, theres a whole other half to the store on the left haha
its actually like a 40 minute commute for myself as well, but once you find a good store its really worth it
>>
>>72585925
>make that 1/20, theres a whole other half to the store on the left haha
fuck are you on about
>>
File: 5S2E1MW.jpg (13KB, 387x309px) Image search: [Google]
5S2E1MW.jpg
13KB, 387x309px
>>72585946
>and a Bookman's that has maybe 1/10 of what your picture shows for their entire collection
>>
>>72585946
wait never mind, i thought you were referring to the store i shop at
>>
>>72582952
If people only gave a shit about the sound quality then nobody would still listen to vinyl or buy a turntable. The aesthetics are a big part, for some people even most of the appeal.
>>
turntable doesent mean shit, just get a 90s AIWA.

preamp is where you should sink your money if you are looking to play casettes, cd's and vinyl
>>
>>72585877
Keep your eyes open for yard sales/flea markets in that case. I got a ton of good shit at a church yard sale just last week, the kind of shit I would pay $10 for in a normal shop I scored for $1 each (pic related). Just be patient. I've been collecting for over a year now and I only have like 60 records, 1/3 of which were my aunt's that she gave me. You won't get every record you want all at once, but that's sort of the appeal and why it's a good long-term hobby. Eventually one day you might stumble across that ONE you've always been looking for as you flick through the stacks. That moment is the payoff for me. Also like has been said, use discogs. You'll get a fair price, no bargain bin lucky gems or anything but you can see what each record usually sells for and gauge whether it's a good price. Try to find sellers that have multiple records you want and order them several at a time, then they'll all arrive together.
>>
The plural is just vinyl. You'll lose significant amounts of street cred saying "vinyls".
>>
>>72585819
High fidelity in Amityville is one of my main stops for record shopping. Nice and cozy.
>>
>>72587191
yeah! definitely my favorite record store in the area. I usually check it out first then stop by infinity on the way back
>>
File: 234514391.jpg (29KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
234514391.jpg
29KB, 475x475px
I got mine for around 140 €

my dad has a shit ton of records, from folk to classical, rock and pop you can find most EPs from around 20 something
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.