[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od0 _LRNlE5A Hour long inte

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: Interview.png (745KB, 865x672px) Image search: [Google]
Interview.png
745KB, 865x672px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od0_LRNlE5A

Hour long interview with the drummer from Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, who transcribed and taught all of the music on the album to the other band members after writing it. He goes into detail on how the album was made and gives a lot on insight on Don's personality and a lot of other interesting things.
>>
>>72571582
Cool, thanks anon
>>
It would be better if Anthony Fantano hosted it.
>>
>>72571617
>yeah
>hm hm
>yeah
>right
>mmmm
>>
OP here

Bumping to keep this thread alive so we can talk about it once we finish watching it, if anybody is. I'm 45 minutes through so far, this is amazing.
>>
hey neat thanks for sharing
>>
bumpin 4 u OP
>>
watched this when it came into my sub box today.
Really bizzarre to hear this very sober and vivid recounting of the trout mask replica story when it's usually so fantasticised, and was especially surprised at how normal Drumbo himself is.

Really fascinating stuff and it was cool to hear that he too think s the mixing was bad - all the drums/guitar/base is demoted to background noise by beefhearts voice and clarinet
>>
>>72571649
>y'know
>sure
>>
>>72572496
if an artist isn't methodical. they don't make art
>>
>>72571582
Creepy. I was just about to watch a Samuel Andreyev video about Beefheart. And then I see this.
>>
Fuck Drumbo for giving this literally who the time of day.
>Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.
>>
>>72571582
I was watching this when it was just posted earlier, but fell asleep about fifty minutes in. It was really interesting though. I'll definitely finish watching it.

Also, Samuel's analysis on "Frownland" is great. I'd love to hear/see similar analysis of more canonized rock releases specifically Souvlaki and Pet Sounds. :^)
>>
>>72572901
how is that wrong?
>>
>>72571617
'no'
>>
>>72572901
That literally who can read and write music, unlike you, an uneducated 4channer still living with his parents
>>
>>72573503
lol why don't you marry him if you love him so much?
>>
I love this guy, thanks OP

>>72571617
No, this Fantano has no clue what's he's talking about. Samuel is legit, I believe he's a music professor.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's his analysis of Frownland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
>>
Is this the Jordan Peterson of Music?
>>
>>72574046
>hurr what are smart educated people
>>
>>72574098
it was joke lad he definitely makes videos like Jordan
>>
>>72571617
FUCK no.
>>
>>72573871
This video is excellent, definitely gonna subscribe now
>>
>>72572901
fuck drumbo and fuck white pumbo!
>>
It actually suprises me how much of an autist Beefheart was.
>>
>>72574556
yeah, he never went to school, even kindergarten, and he was pretty socially inept
just watch his interview on the late night show
>>
File: lVjZVOj.png (694KB, 1197x793px) Image search: [Google]
lVjZVOj.png
694KB, 1197x793px
>>72571617
>Fantano
>Actually understanding ANYTHING about music composition

AHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
Why can't someone do a remaster?
>>
>>72574819
it's pretty well produced imo
>>
Samuel Andreyev drinking game:
-take a shot every time he mentions that he's a composer
-take a shot every time he mentions polyrhythms
>>
>>72574910
he only mentioned it like once in this interview
>>
>>72574923

can confirm
>>
>>72574923
he does it in the video notes too (the composer part)
just thought it was funny, he's a cool guy
>>
>>72571582
>what he sees vs. what she sees
>>
>>72574968
kek
>>
>>72571617
Fuck off to your twitter ramble threads Fantano.
>>
Spooky, I just finished the beefheart documentary not too long ago

The scenes with this guy are in a tree with a telephone for some reason
>>
>>72574046
>Peterson is a patreon for Sams stuff.
>>
ALL THE ANTS IN GOD'S GARDEN
>>
>>72574832
The mixing is trash though
>>
>>72571582
An excellent video. This is proper music journalism.
>>
>>72571617
It would be better if Adam22 hosted it :^)
>>
>>72574832
I never thought the production was poorly done. I think the God-tier transition from "China Pig" to "My Human Gets Me Blues" proves that.
>>
>>72576860
Definitely. And what's more, John complained about vocals being mixed too high for anyone to hear the instrumentation they've worked so much on.
>>
>>72574910
He mentioned it once and it was relevant to his questions and the discussion. I don't see a problem with that. He even complemented French on being physically able to perform what other musicians can't.
>>
For anyone interested, here are 13 transcriptions of songs from Trout Mask Replica:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLftB2gYwhiFGQZodEfF2ItWCS8QqVWodn
>>
>>72575063
i wish, then the money would be used for something valuable
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.