[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When and why did /mu/ start hating /mu/core? Especially Death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5498.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5498.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
When and why did /mu/ start hating /mu/core? Especially Death Grips; when I first came to this board there were /dgg/ threads every day and now it's like the very mention of that band is just bound to get hateful replies unless they're about to drop a new album.
>>
I always hated Death Grips
>>
For some reason people don't go out of their way to reply to threads of bands they like anymore.
>>
>>72563002
meme novelty vanishes pretty fast
>>
>>72563010
I'm not trying to make this thread about Death Grips, I just find they get the most hate out of most /mu/core. The only album I can think of that doesn't get shit on is Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Hevan
>>
>>72563028
LYSF gets shit on a lot by 'muh first wave is only real post-rock' elitists
>>
some people branched out
new people never had interest in it
rock isn't as popular anymore
>>
>>72563039
Okay yeah, but like some /mu/core you can't even mention without getting shitpost replies when there used to be a time not long ago that these very same albums were considered great by almost everybody on this board.
>>
I miss when this was a meme.
>>
>>72563002
/mu/core is based on controversy, not appreciation. I first came here around when TMS dropped and there were always people who hated them.
The fact that there's no daily generals for one band is not exactly surprising though. The only artists who even come close to getting enough attention to sustain that long term are the waifus.
>>
>>72563002
Just wait till summer
>>
/mu/ has changed a lot over the years

poptimism replaced ''obscurity''
hip hop replaced indie
tripfags and last.fm lost popularity
/mu/core went out of fashion
>>
>>72563002
Given a proper response there is a two-fold reason;

1. Contrarianism - Many who browse this board become prideful of their relatively niche taste in music and are slowly sucked into treating it as a competition for who can find the most obscure bands, this is extended to discussions for the discography of individual bands, where the more noteworthy or accessible albums are downplayed because they are "not patrician" or "not as interesting/ experimental" which has essentially become a code-word for not being obscure enough to increase one's ego by enjoying it. Some might say that its a very cynical take on how people consider albums on here though there is certainly an element of contrarianism especially when discussing "/mu/core" bands such as Death Grips and Radiohead, where their more catchy material (see The Bends and The Money Store) are routinely ignored and/or underrated intentionally regardless of their actual quality.

2. Frequency - With /mu/core bands having threads constantly dedicated to them and leaking into other threads, numerous users may become tired of seeing them which is especially true where chart-threads and recommendations come into play, as some may frown upon the suggestion of frequently cited artists which many people on this board are already very aware of as some sort of devolution of the board, as new and/or obscure material is being restricted from circulating around the website due to a lack of information on part of the user-base resulting in little experimentation outside /mu/core and the accompanying annoyance caused by such.
>>
>>72563514
remember when every 3rd thread was lewis spam
remember when being banned meant you couldn't even lurk
remember when we had weekly burzday threads
remember how the only waifu threads were Tegan & Sara mondays
>>
>>72563547
>Contrarianism
>Frequency
Yes, because /mu/core is actually objectively the best music made in the last 100 years and people are just being contrarian or pissed off, deep down we all love shouting hobos or boring-ass whiny rock.
>>
>>72563581
I'm not saying that /mu/core is the best music ever made, though you can't deny that it is often downplayed as being "entry level" rather than being appreciated for what it is, with albums such as Merriwhether Post Pavilion, Remain in Light and Soundtracks for the Blind are nothing short of amazing like them or not, and I'd argue that they are unfairly stigmatized because a lot of newer users tend to listen to them. I'm not denying that there are 100s-1000s or artists that have produced just as good albums if not better than those stated, though surely its discernible how mind-blowing a lot of /mu/core albums are to those who haven't been on this board never mind the significance they may have for long-term users.
>>
>people wonder what this new meme is
>people start circle jerking and make threads dedicated to this meme
>eventually the novelty wears off and people don't like it anymore, but the redditors still love it

Death Grips in a nutshell, it's a meme band that only reddit fags still listen to.
>>
>>72563709

I still think The Money Store is a GOAT album, meme or not

Honestly tho, I don't really have any hangups about music anymore. I'm going to die one day anyway, so I just listen to whatever the fuck I like. Riding bandwagons is a shitty way to live life desu
>>
File: 1490329562027.jpg (6KB, 250x246px) Image search: [Google]
1490329562027.jpg
6KB, 250x246px
>>72563690
>with albums such as Merriwhether Post Pavilion, Remain in Light and Soundtracks for the Blind are nothing short of amazing like them or not
>>
>>72563690
I'd like to say its because of variety in tastes but most have splintered off into the various generals like /bleep/, /classical/, /jazz/, /groove/ etc and staying put leaving the rest of the board to shitposting.
>>
>>72563022
>/mu/ only has threads about music they hate
looks like I've got elder god taste, I can't find a single familiar album or song in the catalog
>>
https://youtu.be/ubErQetGwtc
>>
>>72563709
This is borderline delusion. I sincerely hope you're joking at this point.
>>
>>72565355
>borderline delusion

No self awareness
>>
>>72563709
How could you be this much of a drone?
>>
>>72563002
Around 2013, when Weebteam saved them.
>>
>>72563002
>Especially Death Grips

Death Grips sucks very large donkey balls. Anyone who likes them is a complete and utter plebeian. They suck really fucking badly.
>>
>>72565817
What did he mean by this? No seriously, i'd like to see you try to explain.
>>
>>72563757
MPP is poop
>>
I always hated death grips
I hate how hard they were viral marketed on here.
I hate their wigger retard fans, i know what you are, you are the 25- to 30 white guy who is a computer programmer and see's his life getting bored and plain and you think some yelling nigger is groundbreaking.I hate that you think deathgrips is "mu core"
Listen, mu wasnt always infected with normal fag retards and wigger loving niggers and poptmaists.
And as an actual oldfag i fucking despise you
>>
>>72567005
Get over yourself, faggot.
>>
>>72563002
After something becomes close enough to being universally liked, /mu/tants have to distance themselves from it. Simple as that.
>>
>>72563709
So you only like what /mu/won't call you Reddit for liking?
>>
>>72567005
Go outside
>>
>>72565355
>>72566039
>>72567199
DG internet defense force
>>
>>72567108
>close enough to being universally liked

that was NEVER the case for DG. They sucked right from the start. Always have and always will.

They are a pleb indicator. If you like DG you are mentally and emotionally stunted.
>>
Quite a few albums that got dropped from /mu/core were interesting at the time that they were added to the public consciousness but now are just mediocre old memes. They did not stand the test of time.
>>
>>72567108
Where do you get this idea of /mu/ turning on /mu/core just because it becomes popular? Cite one other instance of this.
>>72567457
People who think DG is good are blinded by novelty. Anything good that can be said about DG is done better by a different artist except for the novelty of >le hobo rap XD
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.