[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/ what do you think about cassettes? >Do you like them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Hey /mu/ what do you think about cassettes?
>Do you like them?
>Do you still use them?
>Pros and cons... Etc...
>>
I'm completely baffled by anyone's interest in them.
>>
>>72537696
I use them to record loops and things that need to sound dirty, other than that no
>>
PROS:
>cheap to collect
>can support local artists while still getting something physical in return

CONS:
>can break easily
>don't last as long as vinyl or CD or digital if rewound numerous times
>>
>>72537696
I get why vinyl is still around, but I can't justify buying cassettes these days unless you own an old hatchback.
>>
>>72538094
It's a novelty thing for most people who are trying to be trendy.
The main reason they're rising in popularity is that it's a lot cheaper and easier for local bands to create cassettes VS CD's, it also gives it a very DIY sense of style, something appealing to some people, also since most local bands don't have the same buying power as a record label they can't cheaply mass produce CD's.
>>
>>72538180
>it's a lot cheaper and easier for local bands to create cassettes VS CD's
According to what? The last time we compared rates it wasn't even close.
>>
They're fun to make mixtapes with, but I'm baffled that people are making new ones. Tape compression makes everthing sound better if you do it right.
>>
>>72538200
According to some research paper I read while writing a research paper on local music scenes for a project, it could have been using outdated information.
>>
File: IMG_1556.png (125KB, 780x458px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1556.png
125KB, 780x458px
>>72538094
Welcome to your tape
>>
>>72538224
Then it definitely was because we compared rates in a thread just a few weeks ago. Not to mention it intuitively makes zero sense anyways.
>>
I run a tape label and I can tell you they're great because they're cheap, literally no other reason. They're bad for all reasons why they were obsoleted
People seem to make some decent money on them since people love to have a physical thing they can touch, even if they don't listen to it (which is obvious since most kids don't have good tape decks or the records are garbage)
I do it for cost of, $3 a tape $3 shipping and I dub all the tapes in real time so I guess I'm doing something wrong ahahaha
I kinda just do it for myself now, to leave a relic or two behind and to reaffirm my lost DIY cred, which disappeared when I had to shut down the venue I ran out of my basement. Thus is life
>>
>>72538235
This post also baffles me.
>>
vinyl went too mainstream, and hipsters started pretending to like cassessts, now idiot marketers like op are asking polling questions on mu to decide if cassets are popular and hip enough.
God op talk like a human being for once
>>
>tfw I was autistically obsessed with the 90s in the early 00s and still used tapes and a Walkman till 2006
>>
i found one abandoned at the grocery store once. it was labelled 'techno' and was pretty good
>>
I wish they wouldn't degrade so quickly, its one of the most volatile physical mediums for decay.

Like 20 years of time will turn any cassette into washed out trash
>>
>>72538434
Eh if it's stored in a cool dry environment they last pretty well
>>
>>72538141
I own an old Mercedes and record tapes for it on my old stereo
>>
>only hipsters use it as novelty!! analog is inferior!!

If you're making lofi (actual lofi like R Stevie Moore or early Ariel Pink, not soundcloud backpack rap garbage or bedroom pop recorded on your iPhone) Reel to Reel and four track recording cannot be beaten. Tape delay and hiss cannot be recreated in fl studio you fucking embryos. The fact that /mu/ is so clueluess about this is pretty demonstrative of the overall literacy of this board.

I feel like Radiohead and Death Grips loving redditors have ruined this place
>>
>>72538291
kys spotify user
>>
>>72538259
Reference to a popular Netflix original program, 13 Reasons Why
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.