[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy my first turntable. Do you think the Audio Technica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: at-lp60-usb_04.jpg (61KB, 790x530px) Image search: [Google]
at-lp60-usb_04.jpg
61KB, 790x530px
I want to buy my first turntable.

Do you think the Audio Technica LP60 is a good starting point?

Other turntable recommendations are welcome
>>
I mean, it's not bad, but if you're sticking with Audio Technica it's worth it just shelling out a couple hundred more bucks and getting the LP120 instead.
>>
it has no counterweight and is therefore crosley-tier
>>
U Turn Orbit or a used one from the 80s will be so much better than that piece of shit

If it doesn't have a counterweight it's not worth your time
>>
>>72456800
>I want to buy my first turntable.
just don't
>>
>>72456800
Hey anon,

It would be great if you were a part of this community; and I'd be happy to help out.

I honestly wouldn't recommend getting anything less than an LP-120, a used proper turntable or a bare bones one like the U-Turn Orbit (which would require buying extra equipment like a preamp and a lever).

The LP-60 doesn't have an adjustable counter-weight for your tonearm, so the weight will fluctuate between each different table and you'll never be able to calibrate it. I've seen ones with measurements of 4 grams, which isn't so bad, but then again you often see arms that weigh 6 grams down on your records, that's more than double the recommended amount. Your records will suffer.

A relative of mine has this turntable for a handful of years, and I've borrowed some if his records, even the newer ones have decreased significantly in quality. I heard The Queen Is Dead (which is a fantastic sounding album) on mine with some great headphones and it was really bad, crackling and scratchiness even after washing the record with water and solution.

Vinyl collecting isn't cheap, and I wouldn't recommend starting with extremely cheap equipment, cause if you're into the long run, you'll regret it later.
>>
>>72456857
Are there any mayor differences tho? Were I live is exactly doubled the price of the lp60. Sincere question, i'm new to this kind of stuff
>>
>>72456933
Yes. You have an adjustable counter-weight, which is the most important element. The anti-skate is not that good, but you have it at least. The stylus is different and it's just a much better turntable.

I'm >>72456907
>>
>>72456907
That's really good to know. I guess i will have to put in the extra money because i really like the idea of collecting vinyl
>>
>>72456907
Not OP, but I'm trying to get my first turntable as well, but dont have much money. I've been looking craigslist for cheap used turntables for a while with no luck. Is it feasible to get a decent setup for around 100 bucks or so?
>>
>>72456907
this is very informative. thank you kind anon.
>>
>>72456982
Check out amazon for deals on the LP-120. I bought mine a few years ago one for $200 instead of $300, this was my first turntable. I upgraded to a Rega Planar 2 a while ago, so I sold the Audio Technica to a friend.

>>72456998
Hey man, I don't know anything about craigslist since I'm not American, but you can get really lucky on garage sales or ebay with used turntables from what I've seen. You can buy a used Rega for under $200, excellent company. It's much harder to find cheap Technics ones nowadays but it's still possible. Just do your research and buy from reputable companies, there were Crosleys back then, too. Make sure the table is not damaged and well taken care of.

>>72457053
You're welcome!
>>
>>72456800
>no counterweight

its a shiny crosley with some fancy bells and whistles

i dated a chick who said she had an AT, I asked if it was the LP120, she said "haha i think so, its really nice"
She was trashing my Pioneer because it's old and doesn't have an automatic tonearm.
I get to her place and she has a LP60
>>
>>72456998
Get a receiver from goodwill instead of a new 30$ preamp
>>
>>72457091
Aight, thanks for the advice. Any models/brands you recommend looking for?
>>
>>72456800
it's sad these are purchased because it's available at your local drugstore or whatever...

it's not a good starting point if it damages your lps before you afford a better turntable..
>>
>>72457091
OP here, i've looked for information on the LP120 and found one guy that said that it didn't have auto return so the needle would run into the label when the record finished and it would get damaged. Is that true or is the guy full of shit?
>>
>>72457316
thats bs
>>
+1 for the LP120

you can also browse thrift stores for old ones, I found an old pioneer a few years ago, tested the motor and checked the belts before buying it for 10 bucks. Then I Replaced the stylus and bought a behringer preamp, spent about 75 total on it. Still have it, and it's great.
>>
>>72457316
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/41479537/?q=lp60&o=relevance&c[node]=5
>>
>>72457385
That definetly put me off the lp60
>>
>>72457236
You have Technics and Rega, which are the ones that you can't go wrong with basically. Pro Ject is a newer company which has a big place in the entry level market, then there's also Music Hall but I don't know much about them.

These are entry and intermediate level.

>>72457316
Yeah he was full of shit. A looot of tables don't have that feature because it's worthless and it can actually decrease quality. Records have an inner locked groove, the last of them all; you can leave it spinning forever and it won't touch the label; however, you'll wear out your needle if you did this, just like with any other groove.
>>
>>72457377
Dubs of truth
>>
>>72457460
Thank you anon, you were truly helpfull and I apreciate it a whole lot
>>
>>72456800
no. god no.

spend $50-$70 for a used vintage table, or spend $200+ on a new table. those are your options.

if it doesn't have a counter-balance, it is a shit table. don't be like me and waste your first $150 into the hobby on a shit table.
>>
>>72457660
No problem, someone has to help the newbies haha
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.