[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw too depressed to make music anymore >just open up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: 1425463034411.jpg (14KB, 251x234px)
1425463034411.jpg
14KB, 251x234px
>tfw too depressed to make music anymore
>just open up ableton and play the same shitty chords over and over with no inspiration
>>
Try new composing techniques.
Make music only using personal audio recordings.
ALso - get contact microphones.
Try a new DAW.
Get into MAX / Audio programming (it's not too hard if you're not a dumbass).
Learn / play / make an instrument.
Try making a song in a genre you've never done or listened to that much.
>>
>>72420423

well, (pats you on back) there there...there there
>>
>"just use your depression to make emotional music"
>all lyrics are edgy suicidal shit that a 14 year old would write
>>
become an outsider, make music in a new way. play instrments u cant play. dont use ableton, record impulsively.
>>
>>72420423
I used to make music for artistic reasons, but at one point I couldn't do it anymore. A personal problem left me with no will, and now I have to go to Game Jams to whore myself and be able to look at myself and say that I still got talent.
>>
>>72420423
Play Simpson episodes on mute and create a soundtrack ya ding.
Either that or challenge what you're upset about. Then you can make more tracks later
>>
>>72420452
>spend a year reading conspiracy theories and researching the occult
>surely I'll find some interesting subjects and ideas to write about
>all lyrics end up being trite shit (slave this, chains that, happiness is an illusion, etc)
Fuck me I should just dig up obscure poetry, steal a few verses, and sing them in a whiny voice over uninspired folk guitar
>>
Just face it, you'll never be famous.

You aren't special, no matter what your mommy tells you when you finish showing her ur shitty track and she has to lie to stop you from killing yourself.

You will never be a rockstar, you will never pioneer into new genres, you will never get the cars, the money, the women, or the attention.

You will never have young girls getting wet when they are in your mere presence.

But it's not like you had a chance to begin with? Martin Garrix went to an elite school of musicianship and has been producing for over 10 years, and he's only 20. At 18 he was touring the world, fucking bitches and getting money for producing child's play, whilst you fail to produce a musically coherent 4 bar loop.

There are 1000's of producers like this, child prodigies just itching for a chance to show off their amazing work, and you honestly think you stood a chance? No, you don't even have the intellect required to be a producer, so even if you "grind"(cringe) you will get no where and will never finish anything.

By all means, keep feeding money to Native instruments and cymatics, but keep in mind your going to have to work 9-5 for the rest of your life, and probably put in a few extra hours a week to pay back your debts.

>inb4 Martin Garrix is bad.
No, as he gets more pussy than you and i'd prefer to listen to his shit over anything you have the courage to upload and call "music")

>inb4 "I just do it 4 fun xD"
You don't, stop lying to yourself. You secretly want to prove everyone wrong, but think people can't see through your facade.
>>
>>72420554
projecting lad :^)
>>
File: Drink.jpg (211KB, 2414x1358px) Image search: [Google]
Drink.jpg
211KB, 2414x1358px
>>72420423
>tfw trying to find a job but nobody's hiring so no cash to buy the equipment I need for the music I want to make

AAAAAAHH fucking hell it's so frustrating just sitting here.
>>
>>72420554
>implying people paint, sculpt and write poetry to enter pop culture.
You don't understand art.
Go listen to rap music or whatever edgy teens like you listen.
>>
>>72420554
harsh man, 4 bar loops are all I do
>>
File: sphere.png (93KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
sphere.png
93KB, 220x220px
https://clyp.it/dj5f4f1d

made this today after almost a year of not playing
>>
>>72420423
how can you be depressed and have no inspiration. don't you see and taste colours when you play your music? or better still, don't you taste your depression?
mine always tasted crunchy and a bit like what i imagined woodlice taste like.
>>
>>72420423
lol same. its the music meta's fault right now imo. idiot plebs are eating up the same trap edm future bass shit for the past 8 years now. its boring as fuck to make. everythings boring to make. needa just learn the piano and write some late night drunken ballads about dive bars or something idk.
>>
>>72420616
>depression is being sad
Man, seriously. Being depressed is losing any satisfaction, like, biochemically. It's not the romantic thing you see in television, it's shitty and it makes you shitty by forcing you to see the world as a shittier place than it is.
>>
>>72420650
Are you OP?
>>
>>72420662
No, I'm a molecular biologist who happens to lurk /mu/.

Also this guy.
>>72420465
>>
>>72420666
Nice try, Satan.

Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u9sKVTcVn8

Understand it. Then get back to making the art you want. Unless you lost your fingers or something in which case my condolences.
>>
>can't make music
>opens ableton

Gee I wonder why.
>>
>>72420554
I don't care about being famous.

I jsut want to make something that means something to me
>>
>>72420683
thoughts on Studio One?

I've only used Garageband before it
>>
>>72420582
know how you feel man, it sucks.

(also, wake in fright <3 )
>>
>>72420554
lol no one cares about being famous you pleb. u sound like youve never made anything in your life.

its hard enough to make something you actually like yourself, let alone worrying about being "famous". if fame is what you want just follow the trends, and rub shoulders with the current "it" people.
>>
>>72420452
Worked for Trent Reznor
>>
>>72420452
are you me
every single time i write down lyrics i immediately realize how fucking ridiculous they are
>>
>>72420554
Even if that's true, if you enjoy doing it, why not keep doing it?
>>
>>72420685
that meaning ultimately derives from how other people view it, so you seek small-fame, if you will.
>>
>>72420650
never said anything about being sad

i was just saying use your depression as your muse. loads of people do it and write mediocre songs, what is stopping you?
>>
>>72420943
Practice makes perfect. Also read. A lot.
>>
File: 1490077907445.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490077907445.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>72420554
you tried too hard
>>
>>72421188
I suppose I didn't make myself clear.

Depression can't be a muse because it's the lack of satisfaction and purpose itself. It's like if I said that my soil had a plague and you replied that I have to use that plague to harvest
>>
>>72420554
I enjoy pasta
>>
>>72421245
that's a good concept for a song

something with unassuming lyrics featuring nature motifs would work great
>>
>>72421245
>I cannot harvest from the plague soaked remains I've saved,
>Cannot equalize desperation, thoughts displaying no change
>That lifeless silence ive been blinded by defies the inner crisis I'm reminded when I close my eyes to let them dry.

I'm hopeless.
>>
>>72421816
Read Ezra Pound. Get a thesaurus. Listen to subtler songwriters, like Scott Walker. To write like the masters, you need to know the masters. I notice a heavy midwest rap scene influence in that; if you want to get rid of that style, you need to broaden your influences.
>>
>>72421816
I don't see the inherent issue with those lines.
>>
File: 1492713572413.jpg (291KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1492713572413.jpg
291KB, 857x1202px
>>72420452
>getting wasted on cheap alcohol pretty much every day

>lyrics are a smug collection of cynical assery that clusterfuck into some incoherent bullshit
>>
>>72421919
There is a distinct change of style between the first and second line, the metric changes in each line, it goes modern in the first line, maximalism in the second and a mixture of romantic and classic in the third.

Also, the first line is subtle but the rest is pretty blunt.
>>
you need to listen to more jazz senpai
>>
>>72421945
Right. Now what's the inherent issue? If it's honest, that's what's important. He's not writing a formal essay for the Modern Language Association Of America.
>>
>>72421816
it's okay, I used to cut my wrists too
>>
>>72421967
Well, yeah, but he obviously wants to write good stuff, not just write his emotions. And it's not just me who notices that kind of stuff, we all notice it, I just can call it by name.
>>
>>72422004
>but he obviously wants to write good stuff
Who are you to say that's not already good?
>And it's not just me who notices that kind of stuff
People aren't english professors or who don't grade Advanced Placement English essays get hung up on this sort of shit? Jesus christ.
>>
>>72420666
Floating points?
>>
>>72422032
I'm telling you. The only difference between a critic and a listener is that the critic can call the things that he likes and doesn't like by name.

The verse is not bad per se, but it can be better. I think it's better to help someone by criticizing their work than sheltering them and telling that their efforts are flawless.
>>
File: 1489755672091.png (77KB, 397x318px) Image search: [Google]
1489755672091.png
77KB, 397x318px
>>72420423
i had this problem for around half years then i started having other hobbies, going out daily and hitting the gym coz id be way too fucking tired with life to make beats otherwise

and now ive made two songs in last 3 days
so dont get sad get mad coz otherwise normies/neets win and fuck them both
>>
>>72422046
No haha, I'm also a classical musician. I don't think Sam Shepherd goes to whore himself as a freelance musician for amateur game developers
>>
>>72420452
HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND
>>
File: 71OFFI4WTDL._SL1500_.jpg (89KB, 1500x1106px) Image search: [Google]
71OFFI4WTDL._SL1500_.jpg
89KB, 1500x1106px
>>72420554
>>
>>72421880
You mention Ezra Pound. After a quick look on amazon, I'm not really sure where to start. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1493152316079.png (272KB, 485x489px) Image search: [Google]
1493152316079.png
272KB, 485x489px
>>72420554
what a cuckold

you literally cucked yourself to shitty EDM im laughing in years
>>
>>72422110
Ripostes. He's the best American writer to have ever been alive. I'll link you to that.

https://archive.org/stream/ripostesofezrapo00pounrich/ripostesofezrapo00pounrich_djvu.txt
>>
>>72422110
Here's a PDF
mega nz/#!DlUhHA5Z!bkn2mxaYYSW3X0SxJM4nxuMVijOMyHxR0ZgIHoUcKoQ

just add the dot.
>>
>>72420423
>Buy a toy synth
>Record random parts
>add extra D E L A Y and R E V E R B

Feel comfy about making experimental music, and buy nerdy glasses
There you go, being a new man
>>
>>72421134
what a dumbass lmao, what sorta faggot is incapable of doing something for themselves?
>>
>>72420554
What if I want people to like my work but also "just want to have fun" most of the time
Keep in mind we are all PLAYING music
Also, Martin Garrix is shit, in ten years we'll forget him
What is better ?
>Having fantasies from time to time thinking about drowning in pussies and be famous
>Be famous and have everything for a time and then go back to where you came from, nobody remebers you, and you're tryharding to get back to your career ?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.