[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In my opinion, 60s psychedelic pop/rock is way over appreciated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tarkus.jpg (93KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
tarkus.jpg
93KB, 600x399px
In my opinion, 60s psychedelic pop/rock is way over appreciated today while actual progressive rock is very under appreciated and often gets written off as "dad rock"
Why is this?
>>
whilst prog is obv really influential, more contemporary artists have managed to take influence from elements of the genre whilst leaving out what could be perceived as the dated/campy/overblown tendencies. i like a lot of prog but i can see why a lot of people would find some aspects of the music hard to get past or take seriously.
>>
>>72407977
I think this started with North American prog bands like Rush and Kansas being actual rock listened by dads, from there it has spread to other prog as well.

60's more underground music is now old enough that dads don't listen to it and didn't listen to when they were young, so it's cool for young people of today to like
>>
>>72407977
Can you give examples? The only popular ones I can think of are Pink Floyd, which had a huge amount of diversity in sound and ranged from psychedelic rock to genuine prog depending on the album, and King Crimson which is definitely more prog than psychedelic rock.

Incidentally, albums like Tarkus are the reason why nobody takes classic prog too seriously. Good songs weighed down by ridiculous effects and production.
>>
I never got why bands/artists like Tame Impala and Ty Segall can just rip off 60s music and get praised for it
>>
>>72408010
>>72408199
the overblown tendencies and ridiculous effects and production are what makes prog great
>>
>>72408373
If you like that, sure. It's fun sometimes; I do actually enjoy most of Tarkus. But it's absolutely what keeps people from flocking to it. It doesn't really have the mass appeal of a slightly spacey pop song.
>>
ELP may be the worst offenders of this. Not only that anything past Brain Salad Surgery is bad, they started acting like pop stars with tour busses having their names printed on.
>>
>>72407977
Honestly I think it's because a lot of those bands died off once psych fell off, so their legacies were largely preserved in one genre. A lot of prog artists continued onward, many of which made some very poor and questionable albums later in their careers, which can easily tarnish their image/the genre's image to potential listeners.
>>
Prog rock got very stale towards the late 70s after nearly dominating rock music since the late 60s
and there was a major backlash against psychedelia during the very late 60s and 70s causing bands to abandon that style before it really got a chance to get stale and overblown.
>>
>>72408649
ELP was pretty ridiculous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA
>>
>>72408762
I don't even know what to say.
>>
>>72408762
haha I love Spinal Ta... oh wait this is real...
>>
>>72407977
I dont know why they call it dad rock. most dads listen to basic shit like queen and the rolling stones, basically born in the wrong generation shit.
>>
File: 1491539047432.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1491539047432.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>72407977
But anon, Tarkus fucking sucks.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.