[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start listening to Pink Floyd? Do I just go in chronological

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: photo3.jpg (168KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
photo3.jpg
168KB, 1000x600px
How do I start listening to Pink Floyd? Do I just go in chronological order? I know Syd Barret was with the band in the beginning and their style was different so is there a better start point than the actual beginning? Thanks
>>
Either go in chronological order (and don't be afraid to skip an album if you dislike it) or start at Meddle or DSotM. There's a good flowchart on the wiki you can check out as well
>>
>>72391249
Chronological, starting with some compilations of early singles if possible. Try to pay attention to live recordings, many of the jams later became album tracks. Middle to late career albums completely optional.

>>72391275
> start at Meddle or DSotM
Don't do this. Terrible advice.
>>
Start with Saucerful and then stop
>>
Dark side of the moon --> Wish you were here --> the wall --> Animals

then go back and do chronological for context
>>
>>72391289
>Don't do this. Terrible advice.
Honestly it really depends on what he's trying to get out of the band. If he's listening for 60s psychedelia, your advice is definitely accurate, while if he's going for 70s progressive rock (inb4 dadrock), the mid-career albums (Meddle to Animals) might be a good place to start, and he can move backwards from there. Everything from The Wall and onwards is optional, as you said.

>>72391394
Their best album to be honest
>>
how have you not started yet
anyways listen to syd barrett' solo work too he has a few albums outside of pink floyd
don't bother with AMLOR, Division Bell, or Endless River
>>
Chronological.
>>
Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'm just going to listen in chronological because I'm not trying to get anything specific out if this. I like both prog and psychedelic so I wouldn't be wasting my time starting from anywhere and because of that I might as well start from the beginning.
>>
>>72391448
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>72391586
Dark side and the wall are entry level and will suck any normie into their music and encourage them to go on listening. With a little bit of backstory they can appreciate Wish you were here and with a lot of backstory they can fully appreciate Piper and Saucerful. Animals and meddle are absolute masterpieces but They sort of need and experienced ear to appreciate them fully.
>>
>>72391249
>How do I start listening to Pink Floyd?
With their first album, like you would any other artist.
>>
just stick to the Syd stuff and Ummagumma if you have taste

everything after is derivative shit done better by a dozen other bands
>>
File: meddle.jpg (119KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
meddle.jpg
119KB, 720x720px
Step 1. Take LSD
Step 2. Listen to Meddle
Step 3. Listen to Dark Side of the Moon
Step 4. Listen to Wish You Were Here
That ought to be a pretty good introduction.
>>
>>72392910

Five straight minutes of whale screeching takes a patricians ear indeed.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.