[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do lyrics matter in music? I'm not saying singing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: SexySingingGirl.jpg (262KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
SexySingingGirl.jpg
262KB, 849x565px
How much do lyrics matter in music?
I'm not saying singing doesn't matter in many songs, but I usually don't bother listening for what exactly the lyrics say until I already like a song.
I see the use of the voice as an instrument as more important that the lyrics, if the lyrics even matter at all.

So how important are they really?
>>
yeah u right
>>
depends on the genre and/or focus of the album. like the lyrics on Benji are obviously the only point
>>
just for myself personally they can't be too cringey because that will definitely affect my enjoyment of the music, like some corny punchlines from Kanye or some very juvenile and syrupy lyrics from Lana Del Rey or some shit

however, if I listening to country, gospel or folk where the instrumentation and delivery of the singer lets you hear what they are hearing clearly lyrics make a bigger impact than say if i was listening to heavy metal or trap, a lot of Patsy Cline and Sam Cookes lyrics are SO comfy and contributes a lot to the emotion they are trying to convey

so for me lyrics are important depending on the genre
>>
>>72372114
Back to /b/ fag.
Mods!
>>
>>72372114
Depends on the genre.

For Hip-Hop, lyrics are the driving force behind the genre. If your rhymes suck, YOU suck.

Same with Pop.

For Rock and Metal, the instrumentation counts more. You can even be entirely instrumental and still produce compelling music.
>>
There's a threshold to the amount of nonsense that can be tolerated in lyrics.
Yes's music, for example, is unbearable. Its lyrics/vocals are that dogshit. They would have been much, much better off going instrumental.
King Crimson's lyrics can get a bit odd at times, but they're never to the point where they are absolutely intolerable and actively ruining the music.
>>
I total agree with you, i just read the lyrics of a song after i listened to it a lot and i wan't to sing it. Just some songs i really interpret
>>
unless it's loud and clear t b h i don't pay any attention to them
examples would be Violent Restitution, or Death Strike, or early Metallica
>>
Instead of deciding which is more important; music or lyrics, it's important to consider them both and understand how they contribute to the song. Lyrics, corny or genuine are the brainchild of someone who most likely contributed to the music as well, and there is always intention behind it. It is easy to get swept away in the vibe of the music and let the chords pass over you and make you feel shit, but I find that when I listen to the lyrics and think about how the music feels at the same time, I have a greater appreciation for the art.
>>
As a non-native English speaker, I've never paid much attention to lyrics. I have to concentrate on the lyrics to really understand what they say, which distracts me from actually appreciating the music. And when I do that, I often find lyrics actually ruin songs much more often than they improve them. Vocalization, or voice as an instrument, is much more important.
>>
as long as the lyrics aren't really bad, they're usually tolerable
but when the lyrics are so bad they're actually distracting, i start to hate what i'm listening to

>>72372691
>>72372985
agree
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.