[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I make music /mu/? No matter how many long nights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1455514137473s.jpg (2KB, 104x125px) Image search: [Google]
1455514137473s.jpg
2KB, 104x125px
How the fuck do I make music /mu/? No matter how many long nights I stay up on FL studio, no matter how many youtube tutorials I watch, no matter how much music I listen to for inspiration, I can never make anything better than a shitty beat that a middleschooler would make in garage band. I honestly want very few things more than to be able to create somewhat cohesive music and I just can't in any form. For those of you who have a grasp on music, how did you do it?
>>
It only takes time. More time than you want it too.
>>
>good sample
>nice breakbeat
>165bpm
>reese bass plugin
banging jungle tune x
>>
can't help you. music came naturally to me.
>>
I don't know, pretty sure it's just hit or miss

It's all subjective anyways, what is awesome today will be all shit 100 years from now
>>
Making beats might not be your natural genre. Try taking shrooms and go on a walk somewhere
>>
File: 1482030745946.jpg (110KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1482030745946.jpg
110KB, 440x440px
>>72369918
stop trying to make computer music with no knowledge of instruments or theory outside youtube tutorials
learn an instrument, piano is the classic choice
stop trying to make beats
watch live performances of the instrument
don't open a program or get out an instrument with the intent of "making music," you can't really force yourself to write it so just jam until you get something good
practice is good certainly but you can't do nothing but practice, try to get a book about theory or piano playing
start learning notes by ear
when you listen to a song pick apart what makes it good, try to remember the melodies and rhythms
if you really want to work on making beats a classic way to get good at it is remaking other people's beats as well as you can
>>
>>72369938
>>72369991
>>72370017
>>72370022

all unhelpful, why did you even post?

>>72370024
"muh stop making beats learn an instrument" - sounds like the preachings of a disgruntled rockist. then again I would advise OP to learn something as an added bonus, but it depends on what he's going for.

>>72369918

start by using quantisation in your tracks. Snapping your drums and other instruments to the tempo grid is extremely important to beat-driven electronic music (assuming that's what you're making from the sounds of it?). my tracks started sounding audibly good once I learned what quantisation was.

if you're already doing that, work on developing good musical ideas. Structure and texture are the two big ones to get down to a T here. When you start a track, you probably have a basic musical idea in your head that would work as the basis for one of your songs. Start with that and work around it, and the structure will come. Sometimes you won't be able to think of a structure from your idea, which is fine, it just means that you've exhausted your ideas for that track. I don't usually embark on making a track unless I know that I can make a full song out of that original idea.

As for texture, a good tip for making your music sound 'full' as opposed to 'flat / thin' is to try to get a good range of frequencies coming from the different individual instruments in your track. Highs, mids, and lows will usually all need to be there (unless you're making uber-conceptual ambient music which consists purely of bass tones, for example). The best way to do this is to follow your intuition on what sounds right. Think, 'what does this track need'?

Work on EQ. EQ is the no. 1 tool for making your music sound good and loud in the mixing and mastering stage. Everything else is secondary to it. Learn what EQ techniques you need to use to reduce muddiness and clipping distortion in your final master and you're good to go. Also learn about compression and stereo effects.
>>
>>72370594
continued...

consider buying a few digital / hardware synthesisers. Anything that you think would suit the style of music you want to make. I'm happy with the music I make and all I use is NI Massive, NI Battery, a hardware effects module, a digital mastering plugin and a digital vocoder plugin. Sometimes I record guitar, but that's it. Everything else came with the DAW.

above all, please don't try to copy anyone else. Set limits, of course, but don't limit yourself to copying another artist's style. If you want to work within a specific genre, that's fine, but then you risk pigeonholing yourself as an 'x-genre' artist, which can be detrimental to your career if you decide to pursue one for yourself. Trust me, it's far, far more rewarding to be an innovator rather than a copycat in this field. Draw influences from your favourite artists and genres of course, but at the same time, really think hard about what new, exciting, innovative material you can bring to the table. It has to come from the heart.
>>
>>72370594
>why did you even post
to keep the thread up because i want to hep people grow musically.
maybe i should have waited until it needed it, but w/e
>>
I know it sounds weird but in the beginning i tried to copy other artists music style and learn how to make it. It's actually a pretty nice way to learn it
>>
File: 1349203777725.jpg (134KB, 800x800px)
1349203777725.jpg
134KB, 800x800px
>>72370594
>i make music
>what instrument do you play?
>camputor
Pleb.
>>
>>72372274
>he's too closed-minded to realise that a computer is a musical instrument
>>
Would you help a poorfag out? I am looking for Ableton Live but have no money and can't use torrents. Is there some MEGA link?
>>
>>72372830
try rutracker
>>
>>72372891
Thanks, I'll try that. But don't they only have torrents? Well, TIL.
>>
>>72372781
No, it's not. Stop telling yourself that. A MIDI interface, which you then plug into a computer, however, is an instrument.
>>
>>72369918
Just give up. There is nothing rewarding about making music unless we are talking getting 10/10 on pitchfork for it
>>
>>72372992
>2017
>having the mindset that you have to be rewarded for everything
>>
>>72373016
Even if I and other people enjoy my music, I feel nothing. 9/10 times it will just be like "cool music bro"
>>
>>72372982
'Instrument: an object or device for producing musical sounds'

computers can produce their own musical sounds
> "a computer isn't an instrument"
MIDI interfaces can't produce their own musical sounds
> "a MIDI interface is an instrument"

your opinion is literally repulsive
>>
Make more music. Everyone sucks early on, just keep doing it
>>
>>72372982
>le born in le wrong generashun
>>
>>72369918
Play a fucking instrument.
>>
>>72373334
Well, at least I'm not retarded.
>>72373373
Yeah, totally said that.
>>
>>72373334
Some MIDI interfaces do have on-board sound, btw. Just shows how much you know.
Also, since when the fuck is manually mapping MIDI in a DAW considered playing an instrument? You really are retarded if you believe that.
>>
>>72369918
do you mind posting any clyps?
>>
Remember: radiohead started with Pablo Honey
>>
>>72370024
I was reading that Tyler Joseph from twenty one pilots used to mimick radio melodies to teach himself seems p good
>>
>>72374082
which is a solid release. have you even listened to it other than watching that one meme mtv video? don't take /mu/'s word for everything anon. well over half the songs are great.
>>
>>72369918
Everyone sucks at the beginning.
Commit to the ideas you start and finish them though thats important to progessing.
>>
>>72369918
Keep going through it and look inside of yourself to see what music you can find
>>
>>72374422
Damn, that's the gayest fucking thing I've ever read.
>>
>>72369918
learn a fucking instrument instead of falling for the prod meme.
>>
OP here. For everyone who keeps saying play an instrument, I played the clarinet (And eventually bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet) from elementary all the way through high school. I understand music theory but I'm not gonna be making anything impressive with my skills on the clarinet any time soon.
>>
>>72375668
Get a guitar, then.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.