[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"LOL GORILLAZ WERE ALWAYS LIKE THIS" No, they weren't.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 11

File: Gorillaz_Humanz_Album_Packshot.jpg (71KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Gorillaz_Humanz_Album_Packshot.jpg
71KB, 620x620px
"LOL GORILLAZ WERE ALWAYS LIKE THIS"

No, they weren't.
Yeah, they were hiphop from the start, with some various artists that complimented the style, but there's a difference between the feature in Clint Eastwood and the "feature" in Momentz or Ascension.

The band originally was a concept band, formed by Albarn and a comic artist Jamie Hewlett, with at least some focus put into visual style of Hewlett and the characters that made up the virtual band.

Now it's just Albarn's happy cuck music amalgamation to preach politics and focus more on the features than on Albarn's writing and production.

Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.

They had style and cohesion in past albums, Humanz is just a mixtape to sell you on other people's music, not Albarn's.

Humanz is not a gorillaz album.
>>
File: f9iKOJw.png (185KB, 753x871px) Image search: [Google]
f9iKOJw.png
185KB, 753x871px
debut, plastic, humanz
>>
The stuff I've heard for Humanz has generally been pretty good (I liked Saturnz Barz, Andromeda, and We Got the Power) but man stuff like Ascension is just really shitty to hear. It's not anywhere close to the light-hearted and catchy classic hip-hop that older Gorillaz was keen to deliver. It sounds like generic shitty groid music.

I really hope the full album isn't just filled with junk like that.
>>
>>72367957
the rest of the album is just hallelujah money on repeat
>>
>>72368022
Fuck, I hope not.

I even really like Let Me Out, even if it's a far cry from their usual stuff; it's good but it doesn't really feel like Gorillaz.

I really, honestly miss when they had more of a punk influence.
>>
>trump supporters getting mad that gorillaz guy isnt on their side
>>
>>72368127
As someone who isn't a fan of trump at all, I still hate where the Gorillaz is going. Ascension was dogshit. Just terrible
>>
imagine thinking the gorillaz were always apolitical until now

jfc get your shit together man

I don't really like this new style but it makes perfect sense when you consider what the whole point of the gorillaz has been since the start
>>
>>72368127
If the album was pro-trump id be just as annoyed.
They were at least a lot more subtle or flowery with metaphors in past albums when it came to politics, humanz lyrics are literally

"Mama Mavis, oh
Mama, they tried my patience
Obama is gone, who is left to save us?
So together we mourn, I'm praying for my neighbors
They say the devil's at work and Trump is calling favors"

Fucking garbage.

ALL MI LOIF XDD
>>
>>72368175
Ascension is really, really fucking garbage. I honestly have no idea how they managed to lower Gorillaz to the level of "DROP DAT ASS FO' IT CRASH"
>>
>>72368203
Gorillaz lyrics arent really that deep
>>
>>72368193
they werent apolitical but they certainly weren't as upfront and preachy.

it's fine to have a political message in your song, but when you literally talk about presidents by name it sorta ruins the whole immersive "virtual band" concept feel.

ITS NOT FUCKING GORILLAZ
>>
yeah I'm totally bummed out this is such a lazy album that capitulates on the work of other artists, mostly (((rappers))), and I don't get to enjoy as much of that good sweet pure awesome DAMON ALBARN singing and composition

Really a SHAME
>>
>>72368203
>DROP DAT ASS FO' IT CRASH
its because Albarn doesnt even write the songs anymore, he just lets his features write them and he'll do some production underneath.
>>
>>72368239
if i wanted to listen to someone else's music id listen to their shit.

when i listen to gorillaz i want to hear, yaknow, the gorillaz. you remember them right? the band made by DAMON ALBARN? weird how id wanna listen to DAMON ALBARN on an album made by the band created by DAMON ALBARN huh.

If i wanted to listen to danny brown id listen to his album instead.
>>
>>72368022
that's literally not true
>>
>>72368297
This. Features were great before because it was always like 50% Gorillaz and 50% other artists. Even songs that leaned much more to the "Other artists" territory (The Sounder, for instance) still felt better produced and less, uh, stupid, as if Albarn had more of a say in it.
>>
This will be over soon. Right now we're in this weird market divot where being "politically conscious" is the only way to sell anything. Consumers won't buy into your product unless it has progressivism written all over it.
SNL
Late Night television
News
Popular music
Movies
>>
>>72368228
Good thing Damon left the names out then in the official release?
>>
She's My Collar is so good
>>
>>72368591
yeah, really fucking subtle of him, good job damon, really discrete of you
>>
Ascension is a great song, lot of folks triggered by rap music itt
>>
>>72367852
Agreed. Spacemonkeyz vs Gorillaz is more of a Gorillaz album than Humanz.
>>
>>72368566
It's not even the progressiveness. It's just shitty contributors and the actual Gorillaz team taking back seat.
>>
>>72368642
It's okay but it's really sung by a shitty artist.

We went from Orchestral Intro to SHAKE THAT ASS BABY
>>
>>72367875
WHERES DEMON DAYS
>>
This tirade against artists putting in politically charged lyrics in a song is the stupidest thing I've seen in ages.
>NO POLITICS OR DIFFERING OPINIONS IN MY MUSIC PLEASE I CAN'T TAKE IT
Is exactly what's going on and it makes you all look pathetic. Music, and all art for that matter, has always had a politically charged underbelly. Get the fuck over it.
>>
>>72368642
I love rap music, but i also love the gorillaz.

when I listen to a gorillaz album i want to hear the gorillaz, not some random rapper each song.

In the original album, and the other two, it was mainly 1 other guy that'd rap overtop, and compliment Alburn's vocals. WHICH IS FINE.

This album though is more gorillaz play production while they demo a ton of different rappers and artists, instead of gorillaz.

Cant even have a proper video with 2-d because he's only ever singing in maybe 1 song as the main vocalist.

Fuck the original idea for the band as a virtual concept i guess? basically no longer the gorillaz, which is why im mad.
>>
>>72368228
>implying demon Days wasn't "fuck bush and his war: the album"
>>
>>72368724
Not even listening or understanding the lyrics, it still sounds like trash.
>>
>>72368642
I'm a big fan of Vince Staples' music but that song is not good
>>
>>72368742
Was I addressing the sound of the music? I'm addressing this myth that Gorillaz has never been very upfront about their political stance.
>>
>>72368735
this
>>
>>72368759
Are we just shitposting whether or not it's too political or not? Who the fuck cares, what matters in music is whether or not it sounds good, not politics and lore.
>>
>>72368782
doesnt help that the music sounds like garbage, ontop of being annoying AF with their "message".
>>
>>72368809
It's a shame it can't sound good and have decent message and meaning like MF Doom or something.
>>
>>72368809
>>72368819
Considering the dick sucking for Let me Out in the last thread you are the minority.
>>
I liked it a lot
>>
>>72368893
Me too anon, me too.
>>
>>72368893
Same here
>>
>>72368850
wow sure hope your opinion is validated by being in the "majority"
lmao the fuck?
>>
>>72368893
>>72368917
>>72368926
great discussion lads, glad u could all get each other off in a nice lil circle jerk
>>
>>72368937
It is actually, brings me joy to see the right opinions in the majority. I had almost lost hope. But I see there are still people who think political messages should be shunned in art, or make stupid comparisons to songs like Momentz to M1A1 like in that last thread to justify their opinion on how a decent song is actually cancer incarnate.
>>
>>72368893
I know you do reddit
>>
What really sucks is that Vince Staples had a great feature. The rest is pretty lame.
>>
>>72369084
whatever helps you sleep at night bro
maybe stop being sucha pussy bitch tho?
>>
>>72367852
gorillaz was always shit and they will remain shit
stop making threads about this
plebs
>>
>>72367875
>that pic
>what did he mean by this?
>>
So what do you all suppose will be the next single and get the next music video?
I hope it's She's My Collar but I have a feeling it'll be Momentz
>>
>>72369281
songs written by albarn vs albarn and features
old gorillaz was way more about albarn's writing and vocals. new gorillaz is way more about muh feature.
basically to counter the argument that humanz sounds like older gorillaz
>>
>>72369339
'older gorillaz' hasn't existed since their S/T.

Demon Days sounds wildly different from that album. PB sounds different from both. Humanz sounds different from all three.

You'd have to be a moron to think that Gorillaz would have this pattern, come back seven years later, and make an album that sounded like their older stuff.
>>
>>72369673
demon days and plastic beach still have a ton of albarn on them
humanz doesnt
>>
>>72369698
Humanz has more Damon than PB does. not counting the interludes Damon is on every song on Humanz (but has incredibly minor parts on Carnival, Submission, and Strobelite.)

so fine, we'll be nice and say Damon doesn't have a part on 3 songs on Humanz.

on PB, Damon isn't on White Flag, Glitter Freeze, Superfast Jellyfish, Sweepstakes, or Cloud of Unknowing. Five songs.

Damon is spread a lot thinner on Humanz than he is on PB (he has more songs to himself on PB) but he's present more overall.
>>
>>72368203
>>72368175
What's it like not being able to appreciate the banger of the year?

I'm genuinely curious. You must be a pretty miserable person.
>>
>>72368747
It's better than like half of the stuff on Summertime 06.
>>
>>72368782
I haven't heard the album yet but literally all of the singles sound good.

I don't necessarily like all of the songs, Hallelujah Money is ruined by the way-too-over-the-top guest vocals and We Got The Power is just an average radio-friendly synthpunk track. But the production sounds fucking amazing across the board.
>>
>>72368724

It's not the injection of politics. It's the injection of dated references.

"The war is over, so said the speaker with the flight suit on"

Great! If you lived through the era, you know exactly who they're talking about, if you don't, it's just a cool sounding bit of lyrics.

When you fucking namedrop the folks IN OFFICE though, you guarantee that song will be worthless within a decade or two at most.
>>
>>72368639
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>72370115
but they booped it out so that specifically doesn't happen.
>>
>momentz is actually good
>muh de la soul
>rebbit agrees
>y u all so mean 2 de la sol

Keep crying faggots. You know the track sucks. De La Soul fucked up and made their worst song ever, it had to happen some day.
>>
>>72370222
>but they booped it out so that specifically doesn't happen.

And in turn just made the intro sound like shit. Ideally, they shouldn't have named dropped at all, but they made it fucking worse by trying to censor it.
>>
>>72370227
momentz is the best Gorillaz / De La collab

yes better than FGI, plebs please leave
>>
Literally the only single I liked was Ascension.
>>
File: HHUUUURRRRRR.png (5KB, 280x312px) Image search: [Google]
HHUUUURRRRRR.png
5KB, 280x312px
momentz is the best Gorillaz / De La collab

yes better than FGI, plebs please leave
>>
>>72370343
that means you too buddy
>>
Dirty Harry was "Fuck George Dubya Bush: The Song"

Demon Days as a whole was a political statement of a post-9/11 world

Plastic Beach was all about environmental consciousness and shallow consumerism

Gorillaz were always Damon Albarn's political vehicle

and the cartoon characters were an advertising gimmick from day one.
>>
>>72369745

Damon clearly sings on the Chorus of Superfast Jellyfish. By more Damon, we mean we want songs where Damon is clearly more involved musically, and not just mumbling in the background.
>>
>>72370435
Gruff Rhys is on the chorus of Superfast Jellyfish.
>>
Did a good leak come out yet?
>>
>>72370482
nope. all 320kbps downloads are encodes from that shitty vinyl rip from reddit
the best download there is is the 128kbps from the listening app
>>
>>72370482

>>72370524
Is sadly right -- but use that one and bump it from your speakers! Honestly sounds great already

++ without the bonus tracks and knowing they're supposed to be after We Got the Power *really* makes you feel like that's not supposed to be the final track :/ I wanna hear 'em bad
>>
File: 1331854392041.jpg (10KB, 450x355px) Image search: [Google]
1331854392041.jpg
10KB, 450x355px
>>72367852

>Angry cuckservative from t/thedonald getting mad at DAMON ALBARN for being political, as if it's anything new

are you gonna get mad at the rappers because they say curse words, too?
>>
>>72370115
"Pigs (Three Different Ones)"
"Margaret on the Guillotine"
"God Save the Queen"
"1999"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Ronnie Talk to Russia"
"Biko"
"Here's to You, Nikola and Bart"
"Reagan"
>>
>>72370627

And every single one you listed are relatively lesser known songs of those artists precisely because they don't have the timelessness of their other, better, works.
>>
>>72370647
>moving the goalpost
>>
>>72370680

>Cherrypicking examples

Don't try that bullshit mate.
>>
>>72370647
Reagan is literally the first song that pops up on youtube when you search 'killer mike'
>>
File: 1470352686489.png (85KB, 291x344px) Image search: [Google]
1470352686489.png
85KB, 291x344px
MUH TIMELESSNESS!!!!

EVERY ALLUSION TO REAL LIFE EVENTS HAS TO BE VAGUE AND METAPHORICAL!!! DON'T BRING REAL LIFE INTO MY MUSIC!!!! REMEMBER WAR PIGS? TIMELESS!!!!!!
>>
>>72370746

Nigga, are you fucking retarded? Google customizes their results.

I search Killer Mike and the first shit that pops up is his Bernie Sanders stuff.

I went into incognito mode and I get Pressure.
>>
>>72370778
incognito mode got me Reagan again but whatever I guess.

either way it's certainly one of his most well known songs outside of RTJ
>>
>>72370771

>Everyone who disagrees with me is obviously a fascist
>No one can ever legitimately hold an opinion contrary to mine

Looking forward to summer break? I know the 8th grade is an exciting time in a young person's life.
>>
who cares

it's a top-40 reddit radio pop band. why are you overthinking this?

>Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.

who the fuck cares about gorillaz "lore" and story lmao. c'mon.
>>
>>72370740
I guarantee you most songs you can pick that aged badly didn't do so because of lyrics
also, see >>72370771
>>
>>72370771

Ahahha, I love this. You faggots think I'm a /pol/ster who dislikes Let Me Go?

It's my favorite song on the album. I just think how they handle the intro is one of the most retarded things they done since sticking Sweepstakes into the middle of Plastic Beach.
>>
>>72368662
painful truth right there
>>
>>72370836
>reddit
you need to go back
>>
>>72367852
jesus christ, people like you are making me like the album even more. their music has always had a slight political undertone, and this album is no different. Demon Days was chock full of references to environmental issues and war, and really there are only two songs on this album that feel explicitly political. If you can't get down with this, this album fucking wasn't meant for you. "preaching politics?" Give me a break. So many other musicians and artists are doing it WAY more obnoxiously in 2017/Trump era. You're too retarded for your own good OP.
>>
>>72370315
how can you live with such shit taste
>>
>>72368203
Jesus Christ, there is an underlying degree of self awareness in that hook and if you can't comprehend that you should fucking off yourself
>>
File: 1422313616728.png (145KB, 531x640px) Image search: [Google]
1422313616728.png
145KB, 531x640px
>>72371026
>I would defend any crap, the post
>>
>>72371026
don't expect people on /mu/ to do anything other than shitpost trash opinions that require as little thought as possible
>>
>>72370976
gorillaz is a reddit band
>>
>>72371078
>reddit
stopped reading there

crawl back to whatever community you came from
>>
>>72367852
You are just 10 years older, that's the reason why you don't like it.
>>
>>72371053
I'm not even trying to defend it, album is 7/10 at best, but thats a retarded issue to take with the song. If you listen to current rap you would realize that Vince Staples is far and away one of the least problematic rappers at the moment. What about the lack of Albarn on the track? There are much better reasons to take issue with this project/song that go beyond your deeply internalized semi-ironic racism.
>>
>>72371144
gorillaz is a reddit band
>>
>>72370601
What? No. I'm gonna get mad at the rappers for simply existing. Black don't crack, but I wish it did.
>>
>>72367852
>Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.
I was watching a couple of their oldest videos like Clint Eastwood and Rock The House (the band is in some weird environment and gets menaced by a supernatural phenomenon, which they deal with at varying degrees of success, and it's a bit of fun basically) and realised the spirit house video is just harking back to that.
The virtual band aspect does not inherently require the "deep lore multimedia narrative plot-driven anime" part which turned up later.
>>
>>72369339
nobody dislikes humanz because it sounds different

people dislike humanz because it's mediocre
>>
Well what did you expected out of the dullest bands in music history? Seriously each album following the meme monkey boy and his pals as they fight for freedom has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the band´s only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of hip hop features, Making the music feel inert.
a-at least Damon days was good though
"No" that album was terrible. As I listened, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "went to an ANTIFA protest."
When you Listen"Gorillaz" you are, in fact, trained to listen to entry level /mu/core
>>
>Wah the album doesn't sound like I want it to
>Wah

Stfu, the album is good for what it's meant to be, a more main stream pop album. The "Gorillaz sound" is still a there. Don't like it? Listen to something else.
>>
>>72371789
Damn you're so above it all. You sound like a douche bag lol
>>
>>72369745
sure, damon has a presence on most songs on humanz, but the majority of the time it's extremely underwhelming. the songwriting just isn't good and the choruses are very dull. there's no energy.
>>
>>72371789
>the copypasta still says "the author wrote"
at least you tried
>>
After 3 great albums in a row you expect this to be just as good? It was never going to live up to the hype. Doesn't mean it's a bad album, 7/10 for sure. It's definitely not bad tho
>>
>>72371907
>Someone who writes a song isn´t an author
At least you tried
>>
>>72371909
there are plenty of artists with a fuck of a lot more than 3 good albums

it's 5/10
>>
Gorillaz made good music when I was in middle school, that's how you know they're not all that great.

I've tried listening to all of the new tracks with an open mind without saying "hur it's reddit-core" and honestly the only quality track so far is Andromeda, and it's not nearly as good as anything from the past. The song writing is lazy and all of the beats are overly repetitive without any kind of variation or expansion on the original sound. The majority of it is guest artists which is mostly just annoying because if you want to buy a Gorillaz album, you would obviously want to hear more of Damon. The political message is obnoxious and lazily incorporated into the songs, the mix/production is mediocre compared to past albums, and overall there are no tracks I'd want to listen to over and over again.

I'd like to openly discuss it with anyone who really enjoys the album, but honestly I don't think it's all that great so far. When the whole album comes out maybe my opinion will change but so far it's mediocre if anything.
>>
If you've only listened to the album once or twice you have no real grounds to review. Takes a good week of listening.
>>
>>72372077
but it's boring
>>
>>72372077
I will admit the more I listen the more they improve, but I want to ask a question and I'm honestly just asking it to discuss, not trying to be a fag.

If you have to listen to an album for a week is it actually good? Or does that lower the quality of the album? I'm not necessarily saying it does but I'm on the fence. Are there other albums that took anyone a long time to get into?
>>
>>72370647
God Save the Queen, such an obscure Sex Pistols song. Only the most die hards know that one.
>>
>>72372116
People are usually too quick to judge, (first impressions and all) and you can miss certain things in songs that you didn't hear before, which can totally change the way you heard it before. Same with lyrics. People also generally point out the negative before they give things a chance. Everything takes time. You can gain a lot more knowledge taking your time with something rather then doing it once and not liking it right away. It's easier to hate then think and have actual constructive criticism.
>>
>>72372116
If it's some groundbreaking experimental album that you need time to adjust to, then it won't lose quality by you needing a lot of time to adjust ofc, but for humanz I think 2+ listens is good enough for reviewing, and any improvements past that is just warming up to the album by pure repetition.
>>
>>72372223
I agree with the first impressions thing, I think if I was passively listening to something I would need more time to adapt to it, but usually when I put an album on for the first time I try to sort of make a pro-con style list of things I like or dislike while I try to get the sort of feeling/idea it's conveying. There are some albums I've put on and instantly enjoyed and there are others where I listen over and over again but they don't ever "click." That might be a really autistic way to listen to music but I usually enjoy music more when I analyze it compared to passive listening, although that also has its purpose.

I also think pop albums should take less time like >>72372229 kind of implied, the whole point of pop is to be more consumable thank experimental etc. Gorillaz aren't entirely pop though so maybe it will just take more time.

Thoughts?
>>
>>72369183
Never change 4chan
>>
I don't like the cover art. That's all. Albums aight.
>>
>>72372341
Not autistic at all. Makes perfect sense to me. It's Gorillaz pop, so it's not gonna be "pop" exactly. It's still got that "Gorillaz vibe". Everyone hates PB when it first came out, I know I did. Now everyone loves it! Everything just takes time. This is also 4chan, people tend to be pretty close minded and negative here. Unless you listen to all kind of music you can't really judge it properly. Probs a lot of old Gorillaz fans who only listen to rock and shit now so when they hear all the rap and pop they don't like it. And in turn they say the album is shit.
>>
>>72368127
What did you expect? Gorillaz fans are a bunch of 20+ year old neckbeards with rich familes but they weren't able to mentally grow up because they play video games and/or watch anime all day
>>
>>72370890
The entire song is obvious throughout about the message. You can't say you like it then spout your bullshit.
>>
>>72370315
This is bait. Has to be.
>>
>>72367875
>Album has too much collaborators, hence is shit

Yeah, I didn't read that when Kanye released MBDTF or TLOP
>>
>>72372523
When Plastic Beach first came out I was 13 and I just started getting into music theory and recording, so I was super into all of it. Now that I'm older it still holds up really well, and some of the reasons I think that are because it was surrounding a concept that all of the songs tied into, and that concept was tangible. Pollution is a problem, making an album about it makes sense and I think Damon pulled it off really well. White Flag was culturally relevant by incorporating the Arabic Orchestra, lyrically the album was leagues ahead of Humanz (so far), and instrumentally there was so much variation not only from track to track but within each one as well.

What I've gathered so far from Humanz is that there's no real concept to grab onto. I haven't really felt the songs tie together the same way PB does, and it seems a lot less inspired I guess. So in that way I think it's less of an album than their past ones, but not because it sounds different, that's a little too easy. I also wouldn't say the album is shit, it's just not as good as their past releases.
>>
>>72372727
or
it's his opinion
>>
>>72371938
At least say songwriter or artist
>>
>>72367852
>but there's a difference between the feature in Clint Eastwood and the "feature" in Momentz or Ascension.

Never heard Rock The House? That's just Del.

>Humanz is just a mixtape to sell you on other people's music

So is Plastic Beach
>>
>>72372774
>MBDTF
Jay-Z is shit
>TLOP
Desiigner is shittier, but that was mostly just a bad album

There are definitely artists that really suffer from letting all their shitty friends hop on, like SchoolBoy Q and Earl Sweatshirt.
>>
>>72372829
Plastic Beach sucked too.
>>
>>72372774
Yeah but Kanye is not overshadowed by those collabs. Damon is barely singing in this album.
>>
>>72372776
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's def the weakest album, (I still like it better than the fall Tbh) it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I like it for what it is.
>>
>>72372867
Normie detected
>>
>>72372776

Humanz is a narrative album; the songs don't tie into each other, but the overarching apocalyptic theme

Every song is the voice of a different person, reacting to the end of the world
>>
>>72368893
i did too. it IS a gorillaz album
>>
>>72373002
Knowing that I will probably like the album more, thanks anon. With that in mind I think another criticism I would have is that the theme isn't as easy to find as Plastic Beach, in the sense that the cover art never really shows it and I wouldn't have known that without discussion.

I'll listen to the tracks again and keep that in mind.
>>
>>72372958
raaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>72367852
this, on gorillaz until plastic beach it atleast sounded like the virtual band could have played it to some extend.
>>
>>72368566
Those things are not progressive, it's establishment disguised as liberal media
>>
Can we stop making these threads? All we do is state the same things other people have said before us. Humanz is shit. No, Humanz is not shit.
Who fucking cares. Humanz and Gorillaz discussions should be banned.
>>
>>72373141
We cant all be negative shut ins like you
>>
>>72373160
>negative shut ins
Nigga you on 4chan
>>
File: angry_reddit_man.png (42KB, 306x344px) Image search: [Google]
angry_reddit_man.png
42KB, 306x344px
>>72373141
What's the matter don't you enjoy the endless circlejerk YOU CONTRARIAN POSEUR???????????????
DOWNVOTED
>>
>>72373166
Guess you missed the point the first time so I'll say it again. We can't all be the same. Get it now?
>>
>>72373194
what does that have to do with endlessly circle jerking over the new gorillaz album? it's not even out and it's already been beat to death.
>>
>>72373194
Don't forget to call him a contrarian poseur for having a different opinion and downvoting his comment though fellow redditor :^)
>>
>>72373253
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy

GETS IT
>>
>>72371994
>Gorillaz made good music when I was in middle school, that's how you know they're not all that great.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>72371994
>implying age makes any difference in the quality of music
Actually autistic.
>>
>>72373229
Your post is just so pointless. Were on a discussion board, to discuss things. It's like if people at a donut shop were talking about donuts and a random guy ran up to them and was like "STOP TALKING ABOUT DONUTS, WE TALK ABOUT DONUTS TOO MUCH."

>>72373253
I've never used Reddit in my life. Keep trying buddy, you'll lvl up from cancer to newfag anytime now!
>>
>>72373053

The theme is more subtle, but once you grasp it you'll realize that Humanz is the most thematically cohesive album Gorillaz have ever done

>Ascension just wants to fuck bitches before the sky falls
>Strobelite wants to rekindle lost love before it's too late
>Saturnz and Let Me Out lash out at the social injustices and apathy which created the world they're living in
>Momentz just wants to remember the good days
>Submission could hardly keep it together before the apocalypse, that's just the straw that broke the camel's back
>Charger is having a monologue with their inner voice, building up the courage to face reality
>Andromeda wistfully remembers the people who are no longer with him
>Carnival just wants to spend the end with his girl
>Sex Murder Party resents his family for abandoning him to live a party lifestyle, leaving him to face the new world alone
>Hallelujah Money is the unknowing catalyst for the apocalypse, who can do no wrong
>We Got the Power is the only song on the album to speak for more than two people; it calls for unity and love in uncertain times
>>
>>72373053
Also pay attention to 2D's lines in the songs with features. Sometimes he isn't agreeing with what they're singing about (obvious in Hallelujah Money) or gives another perspective. In Ascension he's reveling in the past because he doesn't agree with Stables' way of celebrating like no tomorrow because the world is ending.
>>
>>72373398
Well said. Really good explanation. Too bad it'll be bashed with "LE BEDDIT"
>>
>>72373340
epic comment bruh you shoved to le newfags!!!
upvote
>>
>>72371994
Completely accurate.

The album is so lazy. Compare it to any other album from Gorillaz. They all had more work put into them. The Fall, which was made on an ipad in a much much shorter amount of time, has much more meat to it than this piece of shit. I can actually listen to the entirety of the Fall.

If you take away the Gorillaz name, what do you have here? It's not Gorillaz. There's nothing interesting about the songs, the composition, and the progression of the album doesn't even exist. They aren't even trying anything new. It's just 'collaborators' who are more unknown trying to ride off of a name, and Damon is pretty much just using it as a way to kill off the Gorillaz project. The two creators did split ways for a few years after PB, and they were sick of doing it. Humanz is just a subtle nail in the coffin for a project they don't want to be part of anymore.
>>
>>72373398
I figured Charger was about being rebel and just doing whatever you wanted before the end of times. Hard to hear the lyrics tho.

>>72373495
Lol youre so cringy just stop
>>
>>72373398
You are really stretching. Even if this is implied, the five fucking interludes interrupting it kill it. Also you think the album is from a person's point of view? What?

Most of the songs don't even reflect any of these ideas you've put out. You're just going off of track names. Stretching really damn hard.
>>
>>72373604
In an interview Damon said he asked each person what they would do if the world was changing in a way they didn't like. Each song is basically the result of that.
>>
>>72373604

Not one person, each track is a different person

Damon said that Humanz is an "emotional response to the end of the world", and each collaborator took that concept in their own direction. Take a listen to the lyrics if you don't personally believe me, they fit into the theme like puzzle pieces
>>
the real difference is before it was a focused effort on albarn's part to make a fluid album, the main focus of collaboration not being on an abundance of features but how he works with the selected producer (dan the automater on gorillaz, and danger mouse on demon days). It wasn't until plastic beach that damon started shifting his attitude towards this feature heavy shit, that being said plastic beach still kept the balance and stayed true to original gorillaz even if the sound was drastically different. This new album is just another step in that direction taking the gorillaz more and more out of their own album, best we can hope for is a cool bsides record to come out after humanz (btw d-sides is the best gorillaz album fuck you all)
>>
>>72373659
I can back this up.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3J9XnBbqk
best thing to come out of this phase. the original too
>>
>>72373604
How is he stretching when Damon described it as "a party at the end of the world"? That is the theme of the album, Ascension is the first real song on the album because it directly states that the world is ending.
>>
>>72373675
also humanz is good as a standalone album, its just a huge fuck you to the fans
>>
>>72373705
The fans seems to like it though.
>>
>>72373675
AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE BRING BACK DEL
>>
>>72373728
the fans yr referring to just remember gorillaz from back in the day and now like that they fit into their shitty edm mind melting molly rave culture
>>
>>72373766
You can't honestly think this is like mainstream EDM music can you?
>>
>>72373790
Yeah they are so different they mix a bunch of genres in and get SUPER WHACKY AND RANDUM right?
>>
>>72367852
Correct.
>>
>>72373828
What's with the goal post moving?
>>
>>72373659
>>72373661
Well he should have asked someone else, something else. The album feels disconnected because of how it's cut, and this concept only helps me realize how disconnected the album really is. There's no direction. Demon Days and Plastic Beach had a unifying theme, and that was clear in the listening of the albums, in the production.

I think it doesn't work because it's in reverse. They aren't coming together under the same roof, they're all just building different houses in the same area, and the editting or lack thereof in the album only helps seperate these houses with a fence. Seriously, the album has no flow between songs and that is important if you're trying to express and overlying theme. The 'interludes' exist only to cut the songs apart, and I can't tell, but it's just piss poor execution, right?

I really don't think Albarn had THAT much to do with this album. He could have literally just emailed a collaborator that question, they send him a clip, he puts in his 20 seconds of vocals, and then some lazy editor slaps it together. Go look at anything else Damon has poured himself into; Demon Days live, the PB tour, Monkey; Journey to the West, and how much effort was put into it. Shit, look at The Fall. Compare it to Humanz and it's just miniscule. The problem isn't so much 'this album sucks.' It's 'This is a Gorillaz album that sucks.' and it sucks hard. I know I'm typing an essay here, but it's just bizarre to see this happen
>>
>>72373828
Cringe.
>>
>>72373705
as a fan, i've always seen the Gorillaz project as something to give attention to upcoming and 'forgotten' artists, as well as discussing some heavy subjects. (Ibrahim Ferrer, Lou Reed, Popcaan, De La Soul, etcetera & Kids With Guns, Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys' Head, the entirety of Plastic beach)

And even the difference between the tracks that ended up on s/t, are very different from the ones on G-Sides. As such I expected Humanz to be diferent from older material.

It was, and i've been listening almost non-stop for the past few days.(i ripped the tracks from the stream)

The only thing I miss is Damons'/2Ds' presence as lead singer on a number of tracks.

overall i'm liking this album a lot. i've been a fan since 2001.
>>
>>72373867
>>72373595
Good buzzword bro totally agreed, very cringeee.

Edit: Thanks for reddit gold kind stranger!
>>
>>72373866
Who says they're all supposed to be connected? Beyond the theme of the world ending of changing, there's no reason for them to all run together. The job of unifying them is clearly left to Hallelujah Money and We got the Power, when the reason for the end is given and the solution is also given.
>>
>>72373790
the closest albarn will get to it obviously it doesn't sound like it but when you throw the same shitty beat behind a song and have the goal of keeping the album at a certain bpm it starts to sound like thats what albarn wants out of it
>>
>>72370034
>banger of the year
ahahaha. Listen to more music than what you see posted on twitter.
>>
>>72373398
What about She's My Collar?
>>
>>72373965
Maybe stop trying so hard and people won't see you in that matter.

>>72373991
>Pop=/=edm
>>
>>72374039
Pretty self explanatory.
>>
>>72374084
I don't really care what a bunch of redditor manchildren who can't type without using a buzzword or poste a carat face in every 2 sentence think about me
>>
>>72373968
What kind of fucking question is this... That's what a fucking THEME should do in an album. If an album is intended to have a 'theme' to it, it should show in the production. When you have disconnected songs on an album it doesn't feel like a collection of ideas under this 'theme' that anon was going on about. It sounds like a lazy mix tape of dance songs someone just slapped together.

I mean yeah if you like shitty dance albums with hit singles, fine, enjoy that. But don't tell me anyone would call it a concept album with an overlying theme when it's just
>song ends
>random cuts of some guy talking with no mixing or effects to make it a transition
>it's literally just some random noise
>next song starts
>rinse and repeat

And this wouldn't even be that unacceptable, sans the shitty interludes, if the songs were well produced. But they aren't. They are all so bare and minimal. This album is a huge contrast, coming from the same band that created all of the composition complexity seen on PB is just unreal. Not in a good way. Not in a way that makes you think or want to sit and digest the music. It's a step down; or more like a long tumble down the stairs.

>>72374039
I can't listen to it without thinking he's referencing Hillary because of
>She's the one I'm running with
And that ruins it for me.
>>
>>72374161
/mu/ isn't the place for you then, cus reddit owns this place now.
>>
>>72374210
So because the songs don't lead into each other they don't share a theme? Are you for real? You don't need lead-ins to know they share the same theme if they're on the same fucking album. I guess it's a coincidence the elephant comes before Hallelujah Money and Penthouse before Sex Murder Party also huh.
>>
>>72374161
This>>72374216

You come here with your poor attempt at "trolling" and fail miserably. It's cringy af. You have too much free time.
>>
File: popotheturle.jpg (48KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
popotheturle.jpg
48KB, 800x800px
>>72374370
>guy complains about redditors using buzzwords in every 2 (two) sentence
>second sentence starts with the word cringe
>>
>>72374358
It hurts it fucking hard. Would you want to sit through a movie without transition themes, where you just see different cuts of some vague similar theme represented in each one? Or would you even realize it was supposed to be unified under a common idea?

I mean shit, you keep bringing up interviews and quotes. Were you honestly able to make this connection by listening to just the album without outside sources? If the answer is no, that should get my message across. The album, standing on it's own does a poor job of conveyance.

But if you already had the information before you listened to the album, then I suppose you can't answer that question, but really. I want to know if you somehow had a revelation during the album, because when I listened to it, I just sat there baffled wondering where the band went wrong.
>>
>>72374482
Not the same guy lol
>>
>>72374484
I'm sorry but to say the album is bad because it doesn't transition to each song the way you would like it doesn't mean it's a bad album. I mean I edited mine to take out the intro and interludes, it's the songs that matter.
>>
I honestly don't give a shit that there isn't much of Albarn in the album, it's just that it's bland as shit.
>>
>>72374609
Why do people say it's bland? The production on the album is great for the most part.
>>
>>72374603
Can you read? I've given more reasons as to why it's a bad album. You're focusing on the transition point I made and THEN admit to removing them and you still don't see the problem with the album? Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>72374646
I just joined the thread bud calm down lol
>>
>>72374692
nice rebuttal. guess im done with you
>>
There's a new rip from the app, 128kbps. https://dbr*ee/ZjsF (replace * with .)

I'm giving it another listen, Strobelite and Momentz sound way better.
>>
File: nowar2003.jpg (64KB, 726x532px) Image search: [Google]
nowar2003.jpg
64KB, 726x532px
>>72368228
They mentioned saddam and bin laden by name 16 years ago you underage fag
>>
>>72374799
What makes you think I'd want to? Literally the first post I made in this thread and you freak out, you sound crazy dude.
>>
>>72368203
>falling for the guise of being a ratchet twerk song

UH OH YOU FRICCIN MORON YOU JUST GOT FREAKIN' DAMON'D NERD
>>
File: 239993217.png (54KB, 204x228px) Image search: [Google]
239993217.png
54KB, 204x228px
ALL THESE LIBERATED WOMEN SITTIN IN MY LAP
>>
>>72373141

>All we do is state the same things other people have said before us.

Let's just shut down /mu/ then.

Actually...that's a great idea.
>>
>>72374210
the interlude before submission features sounds that are very similar to the beat of Submission, which leads into it well

the interlude before Carnival has sounds that transition directly into that track's intro

the interlude before Sex Murder Party is directly about that track and the music leads into it

the itnerlude before Hallelujah Money references that songs meaning

are you fucking retarded?
>>
Real question time:

19-2000

or

19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)
>>
>>72370740

Feel like I should say something here since the guy who defended my list of songs wasn't me.

Yes, I cherry-picked examples. I cherry-picked examples of popular songs that mention political figures in their lyrics. It would have been weird if I'd just listed random songs.

Look, I don't wanna be a dick about this or assume things about your politics. I will just say that in my opinion, songs become timeless because they capture something--an emotion, a zeitgeist, a sensation. I don't think a song can really hope to aspire to be timeless. Some songs are; some songs aren't. And I don't think the lyrics need to be vague in order for it to happen. I mean, half of UK punk songs shit on Margaret Thatcher. I just think it's really hasty and unfair to immediately dock a song points for being overly-specific. Time will tell.

And honestly, nothing is timeless.
>>
>>72375798
original
>>
>>72375798
Original easy
>>
>>72370034
I don't know man it doesn't stick with me like the old stuff. Some of the songs are ok, but I'm not a fan of the shift. That being said I'm glad they're trying something different and not doing the same schtick
>>
>>72375798
original. also
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.