[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has a mainstream hip-hop artist ever gone this off-the-wall before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: to pimp a butterfly.jpg (176KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
to pimp a butterfly.jpg
176KB, 1000x1000px
Has a mainstream hip-hop artist ever gone this off-the-wall before and still make such an incredible piece of work?
>>
Yes. 808s, Yeezus, TLOP
>>
>>72365209
lil wayne - carter 3
>>
>>72365219
>TLOP
>Incredible
lol
>>
>>72365209
I'm still surprised this went platinum, it's not exactly accessible
>>
>>72365664
how is it not accessible
>>
>>72365664
>radio rap
>inaccessible
>>
>>72365664
Alright is easily one of the most mindnumbing popular rap song of the past decade (not counting trap rap shit)
>>
>>72365671
not the other anon, but it's certainly less accessible than his other work. doesn't have songs like MaaD city and swimming pools for frat boys to blast everywhere. The closest thing it has is alright, which isn't really a classically spammable radio sample. king kunta too, but there's nothing as memorable on the track as his other singles. Think YAWK YAWK YAWK, DRANK, SIT DOWN, BE HUMBLE.

It's not "inaccessible" but it's less accessible than DAMN or gkmc.
>>
>>72365822
do you think we live in a world where ppl only listen to bangers only 24/7 ?
>>
>>72365842
well I do think this
>>
>>72365842
Not him but no, we live in a world where people only listen to "bangers" (Think DNA, m.A.A.d City), radio friendly pop songs (Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Poetic Justice) and moody trap beats (I suppose Swimming Pools could fit here). Anything else really wont get that much popularity
>>
>>72365749
The only "accesible" song, and even then it has a double meaning when in context, that most normies don't get.

>>72365685
>Wesley theory
>u
etc, pop rap? fuck off idiot.

You guys are so dumb lol.
>>
>>72365941
> The only "accesible" song, and even then it has a double meaning when in context, that most normies don't get.
what world are you living in? tpab is perfect "normie" music sinces its watered down social commentary.
its a great album anybody can see that. calling it inaccessible to make it fit your "im not one of them" narrative is patheic man
>>
>>72365978
It's not watered down social commentary, the issue he talks about just aren't that deep, it always been pretty surface level.

The beats are quite unconventional, and his music videos for the album did quite poorly besides king kunta and alright of course.
>>
>>72366018

Name some deep issues that he could talk about on the next album
>>
>>72366176
I'm not saying he needs to talk about deep issue.

The things he talked about on tpab weren't particularly deep either, it's literally just his reality.
>>
>>72365209
uuhg, its shit
>>
Technically speaking 3 Feet High and Rising was considered commercial suicide for up and coming producer Prince Paul when it was released, if that counts
>>
File: Coloring Book.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Coloring Book.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
I feel this is too to an extent but Chance held back cause there's still some normalish tracks. Imagine if every track was like How Great and Finish Line/Drown.
>>
File: dj screw.jpg (146KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dj screw.jpg
146KB, 500x500px
>>
>>72366725
How great was incredible. He needs to chill with all the big name features and focus on making a solid album first
>>
Kid A
>>
>>72365209
kill yourself
>>
>>72365842
Yes?
>>
>>72366725
>>72367073
Coloring Book is just shitty watered down Gospel.

Nothing special about either of those songs.
>>
>>72366725
I love how normies and /mu/tants alike shit on this album for being different from Acid Rap, and in the case of /mu/ for having too much to do with God, drugs and sex. Loved it, and get to enjoy it all to myself.

Smoke Break was song of the year.
>>
>>72365228
spbp
>>
>>72365209
Rarely. Anyone doing shit like this instead of just getting mass appeal deserves respect.
>>
>>
>>72368294
my head hurts from the mental gymnastics you posted
ffs
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.