[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Over across the tracks in the industrial side of Cream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

"Over across the tracks in the industrial side of Cream country lie unskilled laborers like Black Sabbath, which was hyped as a rockin' ritual celebration of the Satanic mass or some such claptrap, something like England's answer to Coven. Well, they're not that bad, but that's about all the credit you can give them. The whole album is a shuck — despite the murky songtitles and some inane lyrics that sound like Vanilla Fudge paying doggerel tribute to Aleister Crowley, the album has nothing to do with spiritualism, the occult, or anything much except stiff recitations of Cream clichés that sound like the musicians learned them out of a book, grinding on and on with dogged persistence. Vocals are sparse, most of the album being filled with plodding bass lines over which the lead guitar dribbles wooden Claptonisms from the master's tiredest Cream days. They even have discordant jams with bass and guitar reeling like velocitized speedfreaks all over each other's musical perimeters yet never quite finding sync — just like Cream! But worse."

-- Lester Bangs

"The worst of the counterculture on a plastic platter--bullshit necromancy, drug impaired reaction times, lengthy solos. They claim to oppose war, but if I don't believe in loving my enemies, then I don't believe in loving my allies and I've been worried something like this was going to happen ever since I first saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper."

-- Robert Christgau

I seem to also recall hearing that most of the British music magazines back then bashed Black Sabbath as well. Little excessive, doncha think?
>>
>>72333750
>I've been worried something like this was going to happen ever since I first saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper.

4chan must be Xgau's worst nightmare.
>>
To be a professional music journalist, you need to be a smug nu male hipster who wears a Rolling Stones tongue logo T-shirt who writes a column about about how awesome The Clash were while Sleater-Kinney is playing on the stereo in the background.
>>
>>72333750
probably because they were deemed 'uncool', being from birmingham probably didn't help either
>>
>>72333830
kek
>>72333927
this. most reviewers are weak, petty, narcissists.
>>
>>72333750
Sabbath is all about their "influence" because actually -as a band- they were completely mediocre despite a couple of good riffs and an interesting vocal tone.

And they were hugely influential because their music was the easiest to copy and perform at an amateurish level by young kids in their garage. Well at least until Punk rock and subgenres appeared and level the bar even lower.
Last decades indie's appeal follows that exact scheme.

They were somewhat "good" at best but are to blame for the most nonsensical garbage that followed their first albums -both from them and their imitators-.

Meh
>>
>>72334052
Not true, they had a first rate rhythm section as well and their dark lyrics were a portent of the changing times and how the happy-go-lucky 60s were over.
>>
Grand Funk Railroad were eviscerated by critics in the early 70s as well, Led Zeppelin also got a lot of hate. The Rolling Stones, The Who, Velvet Underground, John Lennon, New York Dolls, Bruce Springsteen...they always had their dicks slurped.

Why? Because critics are smug nu male hipsters and they like any band with a Bohemian hipster artfag image. It didn't help that most of those first generation rock critics were New Yorkers, so they had a bias towards artists from NYC.
>>
>>72334249
When my cousin was a teenager, there was this one rock magazine he read a lot, and he couldn't get why one of their columnists kept trashing Ted Nugent as he released one kickass album after another.
>>
>>72334293
I enjoy Nugent's music. But what the fuck happened? He's the musical equivalent of 'Avatar.'
The average dude can name cat scratch fever and maybe stranglehold.
I live in prime buttrock conservative country and he gets zero radio play.
>>
>yfw the first Rolling Stone Album Guide from 1979 gave one and two stars to every Black Sabbath album
>yfw not until the last edition in 2004 were they given any credit
>>
>>72334370
RSM has been utterly worthless outside of the first dozen or so issues in the late 60s. And that's not even getting into their habit of trashing an album or artist and then 10 years later backtracking and saying how awesome and groundbreaking they were, or their massive dickriding of George McGovern, Bill Clinton, and Niggy.
>>
>>72333750
>England's answer to Coven

Isn't it interesting if not ironic that Coven had Ossie Osbourne and Black Sabbath had Ozzy Osbourne?

Just thought I'd point that out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.