[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone recommend me any good conscious hip-hop, bonus points

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: cover.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
Can someone recommend me any good conscious hip-hop, bonus points if it's not only criticizing shit, but also provides something wholesome?

I didn't dig deep down the hip-hop rabbit hole, so feel free to rec even the most core albums. I guess I want something either like picrelated or TPAB.

I've heard about Common, is he worth getting into, if so what should I start with?
>>
>>72305168
Try Oddisee
>>
Start with the classics

All Eyez on Me
Doggystyle
NWA
>>
Bitch You Broke is my personal highlight
>>
>>72305168
>I've heard about Common, is he worth getting into, if so what should I start with?
Start with either Resurrection or Be.

Do NOT listen to his debut (Can I Borrow A Dollar?) because that album is basically "Common wants to fuck" for 14 tracks. But other than that his albums between 05 and 94 have been pretty conscious and upbeat.
>>
>>72305168
Lupe Fiasco
>>
>>72305168
Du rag Dynasty- 360 waves
Jay electronica- never dropped an album/mixtape so just look up his discography
Lupe fiasco-tetsuo and youth
Ab soul- Control system
Mos def- black on both sides (just listen to his whole discography desu)
Blackstar- blackstar
cannibal ox- iron galaxy
Run the jewels- RTJ, RTJ2, RTJ3
A tribe called quest- midnight marauders/low end theory/we got it from here...
Pharoah Monch

s'all i got
>>
The Coup made some of the best political rap albums of all time.
Their new stuff doesn't resonate with me at all (the beats are no good), but Genocide & Juice and Steal This Album are both all-time favorites.

>>72305687
THIS. Oddisee is one of the few "conscious" rappers who doesn't come off as pedantic, and his viewpoint isn't one that a lot of other rappers share.
The Good Fight and The Iceberg are both fantastic records, start there.

>>72305740
Resurrection is a classic.
>>
Future - DS2
The Notorious B.I.G. - Born Again
SpaceGhostPurrp - BMW
Kevin Gates - Islah
50 Cent - 50 Cent is the Future
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Future - Purple Reign
Migos - Culture
>>
>>72305168
Joey Bada$$ (1999 and BADA$$)
Capital STEEZ (AmeriKKKan Korruption Reloaded mostly)
Underachievers (try Evermore: Art of Duality and Indigoism)
Isaiah Rashad (Cilvia Demo)
Mick Jenkins (The Water[s])
I don't know if mac miller and earl sweatshirt would could since they stick to a theme of depression and drugs in their best work (Faces and IDLSIDGO) but atleast it's not full ignorant shit.
those are my picks for 2010s artists
>>
File: 61Rn-HdQxEL.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
61Rn-HdQxEL.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
Siah & Yeshua Dapo ED - The Visualz Anthology
It's not political but the fact that you posted The College Dropout makes me think you're not actually looking for conscious hip hop but just alternative stuff with more lyrical substance.

This song is nuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaa_tPGmOs
>>
>>72305708
>conscious hip-hop
>All Eyez on Me
>Doggystyle
>NWA
R u drunk
>>
File: Third_Eye_Vision_Album_Cover.jpg (30KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
Third_Eye_Vision_Album_Cover.jpg
30KB, 298x300px
Youll love Hieroglyphics bro!
Enlightening and positive.
>>
>>72306180
forgot a song....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f70SRaMxSgM
>>
>>72305168
Krs-one
Public enemy
>>
Big thanks for the recs guys, gonna start slowly listening through them.

>>72305886
Heard about Earl and as a bit of a depressive type myself wanted to check him out at some point, thanks for reminding.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (105KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
105KB, 500x500px
>>
>>72306217
ased
>>
>>72305886
>Underachievers
avoid these faggots. some bullshit 3rd eye garbage they'll try to tell you you'll get woke taking lsd and weed lmaoo
>>
>>72305987
Yeah, I guess conscious isn't a right word, but I'm not sure there is a genre for "self-aware" rap. Something with non-usual themes (not gangsta/brag stuff, I don't have anything against it, but just searching for different shit), maybe with some feelings.

Song is so layered I thought it was EP at first, damn.
>>
>>72305168
To expand on 'ye, listen to late orchestration. Its a 'greatest hits' type thing from CD and LR done live with a full orchestra at Abbey Road. Heres a link

https://www.redbull.tv/film/AP-1MWT5ZXC52111/kanye-west-late-orchestration

Back when Kanye used to be happy and smile a lot.

Also, listen to dumbfoundead - fun with dumb. Hes not the greatest rapper but puts out some real chill tracks. Hes also a pretty solid battle rapper if you want to look in to that shit.

The slim shady lp from eminem is legit.

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata is widely considered as one of the better rap projects in a long time, listen to that
>>
>>72306461
well you're in luck, cause there's much more of that then there is explicitly political rap.
try Jonwayne - Rap Album Two for something good from this year.
my AOTY to date - first track is straight brag rap but it goes other places from there.
>>
>>72306568
Yeah, I went through probably all of Kanye stuff, found TLOP actually kind of good despite what everyone said, felt like there is still some of that old Kanye there.

Not sure if Pinata is what I'm looking for, I really appreciated the production and flow, but lyrically it's pretty classic Gangsta Gibbs (it's also very long holy shit)
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.