[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is scaruffi unable to balance subjective and objective listening?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 385.jpg (21KB, 317x267px) Image search: [Google]
385.jpg
21KB, 317x267px
Is scaruffi unable to balance subjective and objective listening? He looks entirely for innovation. What's the point in accepting his rating of Faust (9.5) if it doesn't mean anything to you as a listener? Surely primarily the music should mean something to the listener. It's pathetic. If it's not wildly innovative then this guy hates it.

No bootlickers pls
>>
>>72299551
Bowie, Radiohead, or The Beatles?
>>
>>72299551
Innovation is very important parameter in art critique. Have you ever read art critics' reviews for visual arts (paintings, sculptures, architecture etc.) or for classical music? The most famous painters of all time usually (re-)invented or perfected their art movement. Everyone knows about Sydney Opera House, but not for dozens of replicas of Greco-Roman temples.

So yeah, Scaruffi being this well-read and well-informed guy obviously takes his critique seriously and values innovation as an important aspect when he rates things.
>>
>>72299551

>Wildly innovative

I don't think that The Doors, The Good Son, Good, or Repeater were extremely innovative and that they almost had to have struck him on a personal level.

At any rate, I would rather have his type of viewpoint on which album was the most innovative since every other penis face goes by your criterion about some gay "personal connection XDDD".
>>
>>72299551
>Is scaruffi unable to balance subjective and objective listening?
He doesn't review it from the point of personal enjoyment, he reviews it from the point of artistic value.
>>
>>72299638
You sure know a lot about artistic value. Tell me, what is the nature of artistic value? :thingken:
>>
>>72299767
What this post is supposed to mean?
>>
>>72299801
it means what it obviously means: Since you know he reviews it from a point of artistic value, you must agree with his concept of artistic value. I want to know what artistic value is based on, if it's an objective standardised metric as the term implies.
>>
>>72299618
am I supposed to give a fuck how famous a piece is?
>>
>>72299818
>Since you know he reviews it from a point of artistic value, you must agree with his concept of artistic value.

lol what a stupid assumption

I know it from his quotes about music and art in general
>>
>>72299879
so you're a retard who can't think or communicate for himself, okay lol
>>
>>72299974
wew rude
>>
>>72299551
He has also highly rated less jarring and harsh sounding albums.
http://www.scaruffi.com/music/best100.html
>>
>>72299767
It would seem as though he's aiming for a historical perspective. What brings the most new to the table. What changes the face of rock music, invents genres, inspires a whole lot of bands to follow in their footsteps, etc. Of course there is some personal enjoyment bias to it (because with strictly a historical perspective, there is absolutely no point to giving a ranking at all. You might as well just write a textbook) and he likely rates that on how well the music conveys the ideas he perceives it's trying to convey. Obviously it's not a perfect system and obviously nothing that comes out of his mouth is an objective fact (but it is an informed opinion) - which is exactly the reason why no one should get bootysmashed over it..

>>72299551
>What's the point in accepting his rating of Faust (9.5) if it doesn't mean anything to you as a listener?
It points you to what's the most fascinating thing going on in rock music at the time, but you're right in that people have preferences and not everyone wants to listen to a genre bending avant-garde masterpiece. It's more useful to the general public to rate music on a recommendation system (i.e. if you like X you should check out Y but not Z because A, B, C reasons)

I disagree with Scruffy on many things but I understand what he's trying to do.
>>
>>72299974
lol what a stupid assumption

I just said that I know some information about him from his texts

also calling me a retard is kind of idiotic from your point
>>
>>72299618
Are you really expecting underage wdgy teens on this board to kbow anything about visual arts? baka
>>
How long have you people been sucking this guy's dick? I only came here in 2013
>>
>>72300179
So why does he hate the Beatles that much? They innovated production to a significant degree.
>>
>>72300859
No they didn't
George Martin did, and Scaruffi called him "one of the Best producers in Rock history"
>>
>>72299551

This is how I think of all music critics. I have never understood the concept.

Music is entirely subjective, why should I care what someone else thinks of it?

Whether every single person on earth, including me, loves album or every person on earth except me despises it, I still feel the same about the music I hear and nothing will change that.
>>
>>72299618
If Scarrufi takes innovation seriously, explain him giving Niggas on the Moon a 5/10 and Jenny Death a 6.5/10

Guy's a rockfag.
>>
>>72299618
>>72299767
>>72300179
>>72300954
A well-defined and well-crafted work will always be ahead of an incoherent but "innovative" mess.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.