[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the album where The Flaming Lips truly started to suck.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1341.jpg (2MB, 1200x1262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1341.jpg
2MB, 1200x1262px
This is the album where The Flaming Lips truly started to suck. War with the Mystics was dull but at least had their charm, embryonic is so pointlessly dark
>>
How is it dark? It seems just as whimsical as their other stuff. The Terror is dark, but that's not so bad either. Oczy Mlody is trash though
>>
>>72290550
I have to agree with you anon. The Terror is good but ozcy mlody is garbage
>>
Really? for me this is where they started to get good with some really interesting explorations into mind-numbing krautrock and the darker regions of psych music. Not sure how anyone can stand the disney-esque, symphonic cheese on the records before this one.
>>
>>72290605
>disney-esque, symphonic cheese
oh you mean the pet sounds baroque pop thing, the thing that made them successful in the first place? yeah i wish we could have more dreary dark ambient psych dirges too
>>
Guys I really like Buggin' Remix. I think it's my favorite Flips song.
>>
>War with the Mystics was dull but at least had their charm

Whoa, fuck off.
This is literally their worst album. Even worse than the first ones.
>>
>>72290975
that remix is the only mokran remix i can stomach.
waitin for a superman is garbage and race for the prize is too clean.
have you heard the captain and satellite of you. those are some great b sides from the soft bulletin era
>>
>>72290605
>>72290819
early, pet sounds/disney, and modern krautrock/psych FL are all good you guys
>>
>>72290512

bro you're confused.

this is easily the best thing they've ever done. maybe the only truly brilliant thing they've ever made.

Yoshimi is fun tho.
>>
>>72290605
>this is where they started to get good
I feel like you only heard Yoshimi before this
>>
File: 1.jpg (97KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
97KB, 960x720px
>>72291596
soft bulletin>clouds taste metallic>zaireeka>yoshimi>embryonic>in a priest driven ambulance>the terror>7 skies h3>transmissions>at war with the mystics>hit to death>once beyond hopelessness>oh my gawd>hear it is>ozcy mlody>telepathic surgery

i hope i didn't forget one (cover albums don't count)
>>
>>72291652
>soft bulletin>clouds taste metallic>zaireeka>yoshimi>embryonic>in a priest driven ambulance>the terror>7 skies h3>transmissions>at war with the mystics>hit to death>once beyond hopelessness>oh my gawd>hear it is>ozcy mlody>telepathic surgery
7/10 taste not bad
>>
>>72291652
Did you get that Heady Nuggs box set or did you buy those albums separately?

Been thinking about getting the 1992-2002 one.
>>
>>72291574
I've never heard those songs until now. Thanks! I really liked Satellite of You.
>>
>>72291681
what do you disagree with? i really think they have a really consistent discography including their early stuff. i am curious what other people think about them considering they are my favorite band
>>
File: 1484403984189.gif (13KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484403984189.gif
13KB, 500x500px
>tfw haven't yet listened to Zaireeka because i don't own 5 fucking stereos nor a 5.1 set>>72291652
>>
>>72291727
>what do you disagree with?
I would rank it
Clouds > Soft bulletin > Hit To Death > The Terror > Zaireeka > 7 Skies H3 > Embryonic > Transmissions > In A Priest Driven Ambulance > Yoshimi > At War > Oh My gawd > Telepathic Surgery > Hear It is > Oxy Moldy
>>
File: 7.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>72291690
yeah i have all three heady nuggs boxsets: 1992-2002, clouds taste metallic 20th, and the 2006-2012 (even though i already had every album included in that one)
>>72291711
i also have to recommend the tracklist for the soft bulletin that steven mentions in the pitchfork documentary it is:
race for the prize
spoonful
spark that bled
slow motion
spiderbite
buggin
what is the light
observer
superman
suddenly everything
the gash
feeling yourself disintegrate
sleeping on the roof
the second best tracklist is the US cd version. i don't like the vinyl tracklist with slow motion on in between the gash and feeling yourself disintegrate
>>
>>72290512
no way, this is their best album.
>>
>>72291711
Also check out 100 ft Hands/Realizing The Speed of Life. it's the third Soft Bulletin outtake, the best of the three imo
>>
>>72290550
Yea Oczy Mlody is just fucking trash.
>>
>>72291787
pretty solid. I like halloween on the barbary coast and frogs from hit to death but i haven't listened to that one a lot (mostly because i love in a priest driven ambulance so much. what's some other songs you like from that one?
>>72291781
there's plenty of ways to listen to a mixdown of zaireeka. I had the chance to go to a zaireeka party but it was like three hours away and i was on vacation
>>
>>72291817
have you heard any of the boombox experiments? i downloaded a bootleg from an old FL page that is now gone and it's pretty interesting
>>
File: soft bulletin outtakes.jpg (249KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
soft bulletin outtakes.jpg
249KB, 1366x768px
>>72291711
here's a pic of a compilation i made of remixes and different tracks from the soft bulletin
it doesn't have everything
>>
>>72291869
>what's some other songs you like from that one?
Pretty much the whole album to me is all killer and no filler. The Sun, Halloween, Frogs, all fantastic. I have great memories of driving around in the summer, just blasting the album. Especially the hidden track in the parking lot of a grocery store, freaking random people out as they walk by. The album is just a complete godamned mess and there's too much going on all at once, but that's what I love about it. I wish they had remastered it to make it less murky, but it will never happen. Oh well.
>>72291904
Yep, they are pretty crazy and great, some songs that never made Zaireeka/Soft bulletin. There's a few bootlegs out there. There's some video of it out there two which is a really silly thing. Wish I coulda been there.
>>
>>72291945
i think it's crazy they went from one noise freak to the next (donahue to ronald jones). it's incredible that Wayne had the ability to pull in not only those two but drozd as well
>>
File: 1487284430730.jpg (66KB, 681x475px) Image search: [Google]
1487284430730.jpg
66KB, 681x475px
>>72291869
>A FUCKING ZAIREEKA PARTY
Fuck, that would be either great or very uncomfortable.

I have mixdown i downloaded a few years ago, i just couldn't get myself to listen to it and spoil the experience.
>>
>>72292004
i admire that anon. i really think that zaireeka is one of their best. march of the rotten vegetables juxtaposed noise, drum solos, and crazy orchestral sections. it's top three for me
>>
>>72291991
It's interesting, because Ronald was actually a huge fan of theirs. They were auditioning a completely different guitarist, who didn't think he could pull the Donahue thing off. But he was also friends with Ronald and was like "Wayne, I can't do it. But I got a guy who can..."

Similar thing with Drozd, he was their biggest fan.
>>72292004
I've done it many times. Just do it.

Of course that was back in an era before what they eventually became...
>>
>>72292067
you're talking about mooneyham right?
i'm assuming you've read their biography that covered up until 2006. i usually take it to read every summer on vacation
>>
>>72292103
Yeah, you know what you are talking about. I'm impressed. Most people here don't.

Don't believe everything you read in it though; there's some errors the author made.
>>
>>72292103
I'll probably do it this month, i've came back to listening to decent music after a few months of only banging my head at he office desk.
>>
>>72292136
Gotcha mane didn't know there were errors but with most things flaming lips you gotta take it with a grain of salt. also this place usually has shitty FL threads. they are playing a festival in my hometown and I'm excited to see them. set list looks to be a good mix of mostly sb/yoshimi stuff. i've bought so much FL related merch.
>>
>>72292193
>Gotcha mane didn't know there were errors but with most things flaming lips you gotta take it with a grain of salt.
This was coming from Kliph, back in the day on the old board. I can't remember specifics though, it was too long ago
>they are playing a festival in my hometown and I'm excited to see them. set list looks to be a good mix of mostly sb/yoshimi stuff. i've bought so much FL related merch.
Nice, have you seen them before?
>>
>>72292223
i saw them on two times on their terror tour where they changed things up a bit (no hamster ball) great show though
here's the setlist
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-flaming-lips/2013/track-29-chattanooga-tn-73d80a19.html
>>
>>72292270
Cool. Never saw them on that tour, that's about when I checked out of the band if you know what I mean.
>>
>>72292293
i had the chance to see them in atlanta on the soft bulletin tour in 2011 and didn't go. i was only a junior in high school. i wanted to go to the more recent colorado soft bulletin show but i couldn't make that either. the FL were the first band i discovered on my own through the power of the internet and that was in 2008. i've almost been a fan for ten years. i wish wayne would quit going through his midlife crisis. he was more interesting when he was sober imo
>>
>>72291805
My OCD wouldn't be able to handle two versions of Clouds Taste Metallic, but now I'm tempted to get the Clouds Taste Metallic 20th one too for Due to High Expectations...
>>
>>72292388
it's worth it for the live in Seattle double LP. a great showcase of how fucking mental ronald was in 1996. i ordered the big bundle so my LP of clouds taste metallic is signed by wayne
>>
>>72292354
Nice. I saw them on both the Soft Bullet and Yoshimi Tours back in the day. Hope you have fun anon!
>>72292388
I have it too, it's alright. Almost everything on that set is available elsewhere. You could pretty much download everything yourself and make your own set. They even forget to include some stuff.
>>72292421
>a great showcase of how fucking mental ronald was in 1996
Have you heard the Lightning Strikes The Postman CD yet? Holy shit.
>>
>>72291639
i'm a fan of the band and have ventured through almost everything they've put out, but they really drop off for me with their stuff inbetween clouds taste metallic and embryonic
>>
>>72292643
That's nice but they certainly were good before your perceived "drop off point"
>>
>>72292643
You must be the only person I've seen to dislike most of Drozd era Flaming Lips while being a fan of the band
>>
File: ;-;.png (241KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
;-;.png
241KB, 640x480px
That's my favorite album ever though
it's their latest album that sounds like it was made by someone with psychosis
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.