[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Earth, Wind, and Fire? Also funk/R&B

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 0002753099.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0002753099.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
What does /mu/ think of Earth, Wind, and Fire?

Also funk/R&B general thread?
>>
>>72274708
they have some really great songs, never listened to a full album by the though
>funk/R&B general thread
yes please,
>>
>>72274708
A little too slick for my taste, but they have at least 3 songs that everyone knows (including the TTWOTW title track).
>>
/mu/ never has been a good place to discuss funk.
>>
If don't have George Clinton as one of the top 25 greatest musicians ever, you don't know shit about music.
>>
incredibly influential overall, but pretty entry level imo
>>
>>72275202
Look at the failed /groove/ threads for evidence. Poor Turny trying to convert the masses on /mu/ for years with that general.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
That's the Way of the World [Columbia, 1975]

Trailing Parliament-Funkadelic in my personal post-Sly sweepstakes, but ahead of War (bombastic), Kool & the Gang (culturally deprived), and hosts of others, this unit can do so many things it qualifies as the one-man band of black music even though it has nine members. Here ethnomusicology and colloquial homiletics are tacked onto the funk and soul and doowop and jazz, which makes for an instructive contrast--the taped-in-Africa Matepe Ensemble, whose spontaneous laughter closes out the coda, versus Maurice White, whose humorless platitudes prove there's more to roots than turning a mbira into an ersatz vibraphone. B+
>>
>>72275523
Honestly if it weren't for the letter grade at the end, I'd have no idea what he thinks of the album.
>>
love EWF.

some recs (been listening to a lot of Dayton stuff):
Mandrill
Faze-O
SOS Band
Lakeside
Heatwave
Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame
One Way
Fatback
Fat Larry's Band

See also: Bernard Wright, Boris Gardiner, Keni Burke
>>
If you can't take the cheesiness of this, along with the groove, you can't really handle R&B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMrDJLPlq20
>>
How do I into funk? I tried listening to Mothership Connection, and besides the title track I find it meandering and dull. I really liked the song Flashlight though from a different album, but the rest of that album had the same issues. I did enjoy the singles from bands like Kool and the Gang and Earth Wind and Fire, am I just destined to not into funk?
>>
>>72274708
Maurice was my nigga, met him once and he was a really pleasant guy. RIP
>>
>>72276767
Funk is really a singles genre, you don't listen to funk albums.
>>
truth is funk is a live performance genre
>>
EW&F went down the drain in a hurry once Reagan became president. Their second Greatest Hits collection, released in 1988 (and ten years after the first), had all of two cuts from the 80s.
>>
>>72276807
>Maurice was my nigga, met him once and he was a really pleasant guy. RIP
They were very very safe radio-friendly MOR so of course you wouldn't expect the guy to be friggin' George Clinton.
>>
whats not discussed is there remixes. really sad
>>
>>72275997
Nice song but those comments are fucking horrendous, even for youtube comments standard
>>
>>72277480
Besides it's blatantly ripping off Shining Star.
>>
>>72277512
No I mean the "this is real music, fuck selfies" cringe crowd
>>
>>72277598
Would that Youtube existed in 1980 so we could see people saying how doo-wop was real music and fuck this disco/funk shit.
>>
File: cover.jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
96KB, 600x600px
>>72275386
I don't know what he's doing these days, I barely see him posting and he doesn't show up when I try to make a thread take off while he usually used to

>>72274708 (OP)
got myself this 7" recently (better than the 90 seconds long version on All'n'all)

Earth, wind & ffre - Brazilian rhythm / My love :

https://youtu.be/FN5MIOAtQhU [Embed]
https://youtu.be/OeFkHMS4ahA
>>
>>72277308
i think when a band is "straight funk" i'd generally agree with this. but when a band/artist blends funk with other genres, albums work really well
>>
>>72274708
Good stuff
>>
EW&F are GOAT
>>
Their first album is great but i dont get the skits between songs at all
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.