[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting a record player this weekend and I'm curious,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (9KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 275x184px
I'm getting a record player this weekend and I'm curious, is everything better on vinyl? I feel like only certain music would be, like music that was made when vinyl was actually a thing and not just something hipsters do
>>
>>72264213
No, anything new is still digital pressed onto vinyl. You should collect vinyl if you like the experience or ritual of listening to it. Vinyl releases often also come with some extra stuff which is fun to collect.
>>
>>72264213
I only have a couple records that I think genuinely sound better on vinyl, and I think the feel of it being on vinyl along with the sounds contributes to this, not actually sounding better.
>>
Depends on the recording, label, and setup.
A lot of reissue labels are shit.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>72264213
You're pretty much correct.

Basically what it comes down to is if its mastered digitally or analog.
Anything around 1995 and on is typically mastered digitally but certain albums like Random Access Memories by Daft Punk did have analog recording onto master tapes, making the record sound better than the CD version in some areas.

If a record is mastered digitally then you're basically buying a .flac file pressed onto plastic that has potential to sound worse over time/get dirty. Also a majority of the time not much care is put into vinyl pressings of new music, making it actually sound worse than a CD, but that depends on the artist, label, and pressing.

tl;dr analog master = sounds better. digital master = sounds the same or worse
>>
The effect of the album being just one long song and then having to flip over the record is fun.
Its also a hassle, know what you're geeting into, and for the love of don't spend any less than 150 on a record player, tryst me its worth it.
>>
>>72264934
or just pay like 60-80 for a nice ass technics from the late 80s

>>72264213
what turntable did you plan on getting OP?
>>
File: vinyl.png (435KB, 567x443px) Image search: [Google]
vinyl.png
435KB, 567x443px
>>72264213
as someone with ~600 12"s ~300 7"s, no.
a lot of new music is very good on vinyl, but nothing is going to be BETTER on vinyl than say a flac file. the whole "warm sound" plebstuff is pretty placebo.

a lot of times the stuff isnt mastered properly for vinyl so it actually ends up sounding worse. It's all novelty.
>>
>>72264984
>Rick Owens
>Madvilliany

you're a fucking meme.
>>
>>72264975
It's my parent's old record player, I can't remember exactly what it is. I remember it being a pretty good one though, at least it seemed good when I was a kid
>>
>>72265009
thank you, anon =)
>>
>>72265009
let's see your superior vinyl and shoe collection
>>
File: 1361139196097.png (280KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1361139196097.png
280KB, 1000x1000px
It's a case by case basis. Records are technically inferior to digital in almost every way. When mastered well to the best of the medium's capabilities, digital wins every time. However, digital can be mastered poorly due to things such as the loudness war or if it's an older recording the master tape is in poor condition. This is where records can sound better, usually with pre-80s music. They aren't some magical thing that makes music sound better just because. There's perfectly acceptable reasons to buy records, but purely for sound quality isn't really one of them.
>>
>>72265250
agree 100%
>>
It's mostly about the ritual and the physical aspect of the media. I have a lot more fun listening to my records than the radio or putting on something on spotify with my phone.

I tend to pay more attention to a record because each side tends to last between 12-15 minutes, which is a short enough time to maintain your attention if you know you'll have to get up and flip the record.

I have several records that I had listened to digitally years ago that I now appreciate way more because I sat down and really focused on them. The gimmicks of the medium such as the huge artwork and colorful vinyl pressings add to my enjoyment of the hobby as well. Not to mention the enjoyment of slowly upgrading the components of your setup over time.
>>
Don't worry too much about sound quality, you'll need to spend at least $1000 for a good enough system to really appreciate the sound to it's fullest. But it's a fun thing to collect, beats the hell out of stamps.
>>
>>72265250
>>72265481
best advice ITT
>>72265490
1k is pushing it for a table, amp, bookshelves and a sub altogether. I didn't start appreciating my vinyl more till I got a really good sub and I had always had a 1k or so system.

Also worth noting that the hobby quickly becomes very expensive with all the equipment you need and many albums are very difficult to find, especially if you care about a specific press
>>
>>72265635
also OP if you follow this guide for your setup I guarantee you will be satisfied. I also recommend joining this forum for harder to find releases and release dates for new records

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-turntables-hi%E2%80%93fi-read-1st-page-before-posting-new-threads-basic-questions/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.