[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we keep hailing Kendrick Lamar as a genius when he can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot (439).png (95KB, 1434x592px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (439).png
95KB, 1434x592px
Why do we keep hailing Kendrick Lamar as a genius when he can't even write a single track by himself?
>>
wanna see something special?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_of_Pablo#Track_listing
>>
>>72211343
holy shit he's worse than fucking beyonce
>>
>>72211408
fyi lemonade, which is beyonce's biggest album, has less people involved than tpab while having about equal number of samples, so your post is ignorantly hypocritical
>>
>>72211408
>>72211441
also beyonce unlike kendrick is involved in the production of her own albums
>>
>>72211453
why do you think kenny isnt involved? some songs he isnt but others he is
>>
>>72211466
i dont see his name in the lists of producers
>>
>>72211328
Most of them are production credits
>>
>>72211343
>>72211408
kanye credits literally anyone who gave him feedback about anything related to the song

fucking isaac hayes is credit on 30 hours, who has been dead for 8 years
>>
>>72211558
>kanye credits literally anyone who gave him feedback about anything related to the song
source?
>>
>>72211558
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>72211558
doubt this lol, he usually likes being the only visible name on a song (why he doesnt list features)
>>
>>72211343
>The only song he wrote all by himself is "I love Kanye"
Kek
>>
>>72211558

Beyonce credited a guy because a single tweet from him inspired one of her lyrics, and she also credited AnCo because she paraphrased a single line from on of their songs. What's your point?
>>
TIL his last name is Duckworth.

Elvis didn't compose shit either, this isn't new. Well, he did, but he certainly wasn't famous for that.
>>
>>72211328
I fucking hate these threads because they're basically saying "i'm too stupid to know how credits work". Fucking everything needs to be credited. It has nothing to do with having "written" the song, if kendrick is writing something and his cat comes by and says "hey maybe you should change that line to this", and kendrick's like "fuck yea you right", guess who's going to be credited? In addition to that, every artist sampled gets a writing credit on the respective song. Hip hop is sample heavy so pretty much every track is going to get long credits. Every person having influenced the sound in whatever minor way gets credited. People that use writing credits as an argument to make an album or an artist appear bad are fucking stupid. That includes scaruffi who based one of his reviews on that.
Now in the end, all this doesn't even fucking matter. Are you going to meet these artists? You probably won't even fucking pay for the album. So who gives a flying FUCK who wrote it? The fact is that the music is there, it exists, you can listen to it. Do this and take the music for what it is, letting writing credits influence your perception is so fucking stupid. I mean fuck do people actually think music gets worse the more people are involved in it? Haha 10 people wrote this song must suck ass xD. Stfu.
>>
>>72212295

>So who gives a flying FUCK who wrote it?

people who care about how music is actually made and aren't just consumers of the finished product?

most classical composers compose hundreds of pieces entirely by themselves, it's baffling that the most acclaimed maisntream artists would need such a massive team of people to make a four-minute song that comes nowhere close to rivaling a 30-minute concerto or a 40-minute symphony or whatever.
>>
>>72212335
first of all i think we both know that art music and popular music are two entirely different areas of music that work differently. Comparing actual classical compositions with DAMN. is a bit far fetched.
secondly, yea so what? are you going to assume a classical piece is good because a good composer wrote it? The amount of people involved in a project says nothing about the quality of a piece of music, the quality of a piece of music is determined by nothing but itself. There is nothing wrong with being interested in who wrote the music. But letting it determine the quality of the music is wrong. Imagine 100 of the best artists and musicians came together to create music that has an objective quality to it vastly overshadowing anything done before. Would you just dismiss it because it does not stem from the creativity of a single mind?
Have you sat through the ending credits of a film yet? I know this is different but the analogy is valid. A director requires a fucking army to make a film, yet the quality of the film itself is not related to the number of people working it or the budget. There is no corelation.
Also DAMN. is very solid work and I don't think people realize how much of it can be attributed to him so this whole thread is pointless. See the producers and contributors are the same as with almost any TDE project, but Q's Blank Face or Ab Soul's new album have got nothing on DAMN. or gkmc or TPAB or even UU. Why? Because this is Kendrick's work and he is a far better artist than anyone else signed to TDE.
>>
>>72212581
Yeah alright, that makes sense. Have a good day man, peace.
>>
>>72212594
You too my man, enjoy your easter.
>>
File: 1492123776085.jpg (12KB, 480x475px) Image search: [Google]
1492123776085.jpg
12KB, 480x475px
>>72212335
I like how you quoted that one part of his post and then just ignored all the rest of it
>>
>>72212619
bitch. die in a fucking hole.
>>
>Nina Simone is regulared as one of the most influential recording artists of the 20th century
>didn't have any involvement in writing most of her songs
wew
>>
>>72212295
>People that use writing credits as an argument to make an album or an artist appear bad are fucking stupid.
It's not about making an artist appear bad (a great sounding album is a great sounding album, no matter how many people it took to create.) What it IS about is properly attributing what you hear to those that actually created it. E.g. Kendrick apparently had NO part in producing this album. Therefore liking the production on it technically has nothing to do with him.
Which isn't to say that he's a terrible producer or something. Just that we don't know from this album since none of that work was his.
>>
>>72213202
That is true. But it should be noted that the beats Kendrick raps on are chosen by him, he places them, and it is very likely that he influences them as well. Since most of the producers on damn. are members of TDE it is safe to assume that Kendrick communicates with them over their production, gives them feedback, tells them what he wants and how he wants it to sound like. I doubt they just give him 14 beats and Top says rap over them. It's a creative choice he he has to make. He likely doesn't do the choice by himself, but I like to think that he has the last say in it, next to Top Dawg obviously who allows his choice. Kendrick's albums are his visions in the end, he's not responsible for every single detail, but the overall idea and composition is his. Which is why i think my earlier film analogy is valid, the creative process involved in making a contemporary mainstream hip hop album is very similar to the decisions a director takes when making a film.
>>
>>72211328
>Best songs have the least people involved

Do we need further proof?
>>
>>72213402
>. But it should be noted that the beats Kendrick raps on are chosen by him, he places them, and it is very likely that he influences them as well.
Not enough to be credited for it ON HIS OWN ALBUM (and, as you point out, these people credit each other at the drop of a hat.) Again, not saying that anything he's done is bad. Just that crediting him for being a solo artist when he isn't makes no sense.
>>
File: e94eo_s-200x150.gif (301KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
e94eo_s-200x150.gif
301KB, 200x150px
>>72211343
>freestyle
>14 writers
>>
File: nmpila.png (34KB, 667x108px) Image search: [Google]
nmpila.png
34KB, 667x108px
>>72211343
>>72211408
>>72211558
>>72211622
>>72213610
It's also crediting all the fucking artists he sampled as well as the features you absolute fucking retards.

Here I'll list some of it off for you so your retardation is ingrained in memory and never brought up here again:
>No More Parties in LA
>contains samples of: Johnny "Guitar" Watson Walter "Junie" Morrison, Herbert Rooney, (all three long dead/inactive), Ronald Dean (Mathematics, producer of the sampled Ghostface track), Dennis Coles (Ghostface Killah himself), Larry Graham, Tina Graham, and Sam Dees
>features Otis Jackson Jr (Madlib), Kendrick Lamar
This is also done for artists besides Kanye on Wikipedia. Glad I could clear it up.

inb4 I'm called autistic for correcting some of the most inane disinfo ever posted here
>>
>>72213549
no you're right about that but that isn't my point. What I'm getting at is that the overall album is rightfully credited as an album by Kendrick Lamar. But to come back to what you said, be aware that production credits and writing credits are not symmetrical. All the producers always appear under the writing credits, but not all the writers appear in the production credits. The writing credits are much more strict and a mostly annoying legal process, like referencing an academic paper. The production credits only feature the actual producers. Kendrick not appearing on production credits does not mean that he doesn't have an influence over the production. Besides what I said about creative choice when it comes to beats has nothing to do with the actual production. If somebody gave Kendrick 100 beats and tell him to choose 10, then the 10 he chose would be his creative decision but he wouldn't appear on the credits. But that's just an example. The album itself is produced with both recording artist and the producer in the same room.
>>
>>72211558
That's because there's an Isaac Hayes sample
>>
Using this argument is like calling John Coltrane a hack because he only wrote the saxophone parts to his songs

Music is often a collaborative effort you plen
>>
>>72213782
ahaha btfo
>>
>>72213820
Music performance is normally a collaborative effort. With the exception of genres like jazz (which are normally live-composed) music composition has always been a normally solitary act.
>>
Holy shit ya'll are retarded.
>>
>>72211328
>this argument again
Seriously if you make this argument you know absolutely nothing about modern music.
>>
>>72212335
>how music is actually made
>goes on a rant about liner notes
>>
>>72211328
The writing credits include songs that are sampled, senpai.
>>
File: 1457051818210.png (28KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1457051818210.png
28KB, 645x773px
>>72211343
>goldstein
>11 out of 20
>>
>>72213782
Yeah like Kendrick and Beyonce don't credit samples.
Kanye has way more actual writers and producers anyway.
>>
>>72214386
>This is also done for artists besides Kanye on Wikipedia
>>
>>72214356
>the writing credits include ALL the people responsible for creating the music you hear
Lol who would've thought.
>>
File: tumblr_n3df5l4KC41rfwfq9o1_500.jpg (23KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3df5l4KC41rfwfq9o1_500.jpg
23KB, 500x281px
>>72212295
>if kendrick is writing something and his cat comes by and says "hey maybe you should change that line to this", and kendrick's like "fuck yea you right"
>>
>>72214546
am i autistic for using google image search to find out what emotion this is supposed to represent?
>>
>>72211328
Because most people who listen to (especially) popular contemporary music don't know how it's made.
>>
>>72213820
uh... he actually composed the harmony of his songs and the melody, which is basically 80% of a jazz composition
>>
>>72213799
>Kendrick not appearing on production credits does not mean that he doesn't have an influence over the production.
What it DOES mean is that he didn't do any of the production himself. Being a good manager of people is a very useful skill (see also: Beyonce/Kanye West/etc.) However there is nothing inherently music-related about it. Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to enjoy well-made music. Just that, when it comes to attributing authorial ownership on massive pop projects like this, credit should go where it's due desu.
>>
>>72214866
see
>>72214268
That anon's point was moot anyway.
>>
>>72214999
Yea I agree with that, don't mean to refute it.
also checked
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.