[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many artists do you usually try in a genre before deciding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: mm-edited.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
mm-edited.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
How many artists do you usually try in a genre before deciding who you think are the cream of the crop?
>>
>>72199638
however many there are on the essentials chart
>>
i dont do that.
>>
>>72199691
Don't what? Explore music?

Do you just listen to FotM hype?
>>
who cares? that seems very anti-art (assuming you actually care about music in that way)
>>
>>72199715
agreed, just listen to p4k/bnm/scaruffi favourites
>>
>>72199711
i don't organize the artists i listen to in a hierarchy. i just regard them as things i like but might potentially not want to listen to in the future. there are however albums that will always hold a special place in my heart because they were the first for whatever reason.
>>
>>72199741
equally as bad. How about no selectivity or tunnel vision? More music to find that way
>>
>>72199768
Really? So no favourites in any genre except nostalgia? None you think excel above others or even just enjoy more?
>>
>>72199638

I usually just listen to the Kidz Bop versions of hit songs to dip my toe in the water
>>
>>72199741
are you retarded? deciding "who the cream of the crop is" just forms arbitrary bias, groups artists who really aren't necessarily related together, creates unwarrented comparisons, and ultimately hinders the exploration of music

this discussion has literally nothing to do with pitchfork and other music reviewers
>>
>>72199778
not saying it should always be X or some scientific shit but surely you like some artists more than others in different genres
>>
>>72199795
i have favorites i like to listen to at the present moment. if my personal experience and growth remove that status from these albums, no big deal, i might enjoy them again later or not. theres plenty of other music. with that said there are several albums i've enjoyed for more than 10 years now.
>>
>>7219963
I just listen to those on the general essentials as they've been collectively proven as the best or they wouldn't be there.

Why would I waste my time with lesser music?
>>
>>72199873
Fair enough, I like variety, exploring, adapting but still have personal favourite artists in each genre who tick all the right boxes in the genre for me.
>>
>>72199638
>>
>>72199887
HUEHUEHUHEHUE
>>
>>72199922
that's fine and i understand why some people do that, especially if you're a music critic. i just don't find it necessary to regard artists as better than another based on a criteria. the ones i like resonate with me for whatever reason but if they don't anymore i move on, if im in the right mood i will go back to them but i don't force it. i approach listening to music on a mostly visceral level.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.