[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinions on Butthole Surfers? Are they genius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_1183.png (246KB, 301x270px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1183.png
246KB, 301x270px
What's your opinions on Butthole Surfers? Are they genius or fucking nonsense?
>>
Genius
>>
Both
They're not mutually exclusive
>>
Fucking nonsense
>>
proto /b/
as such, obsolete
>>
Very satanic If you ask me
>>
Genius nonsense, but they do it better than most people do.
>>
Was looking forward to seeing them at Safe as Milk, but it got cancelled. Hope they still come over and play somewhere else desu.
>>
I have mixed opinions about them, I can see why people would enjoy it, the songs that seemed like they had an actual structure I enjoyed, but most of the songs seemed like they were just slapped together and didn't have any deeper meanings.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Butthole Surfers [Alternative Tentacles EP, 1983]

Unlike most horror-show hardcore, their tales from the crypt eschew the reassuring glow of celluloid, yet they don't smudge like pulp, either. For openers a guy comes on and shrieks, "There's a time to fuck and a time to crave/But the shah sleeps in Lee Harvey's grave." Then there's a lot of guitar noise. More axioms: "Jimi Hendrix makes love to Marilyn's remains," "I smoke Elvis Presley's [ed.: not Costello's?] toenails when I want to get high," etc. More guitar noise. As nihilist grossout goes, pretty neat and impossible by definition to sustain. Yet sustain it they do, not because necro-copro is such a powerful idea, but because the guitar noise crests and roils like a river of shit--because, though I hate to put it this way, there are actually songs down there. Rarely has such demented caterwaul reached vinyl in recognizable form. A-

Live Pcppep [Alternative Tentacles EP, 1984]

At first I detected an emotional power signifying something more than an arty posthardcore band whose outrageousness was truly original. But soon I noticed that one of the three new songs--striking statistic in a band whose recorded output comprises two longish EPs--was a noise interlude. So now I'm wondering whether they mightn't be an original posthardcore band whose outrageousness is truly arty, or whose emotional power is truly a fake. Oh well--at least they'll evolve toward big-beat no wave (performance art?) rather than heavy metal. B
>>
Psychic . . . Powerless . . . Another Man's Sac [Touch and Go, 1985]

Truly repulsive music imposes the most stringent of aesthetic standards--who wants to listen if it's just good? So while I'm sort of impressed by the (relative) accessibility of their first full-length LP--guitar that might actually win over some wayward metal freak seeking X-rated thrills--I must report that only "Lady Sniff," punctuated by perfectly timed gobs, pukes, farts, belches, and Mexican radio, lives up to "The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave." B+

Rembrandt Pussyhorse [Touch and Go, 1986]

I respect these guys, really--their dedication to dementia is a rare and wondrous thing. But their claque's idea of accessibility is Iron Butterfly on bad acid digging deconstruction, yet another version of the touching avant-garde truism which holds that the proper study of incoherence is incoherent. Upped a notch or two for concept, attitude, hype, bullshit, somewhere in there. B-
>>
>SATAN SATAN SATAN

i haven't listened to much by them but i've liked what i've heard
>>
>>72108658
I like em, won't say genius or nonsense, just pretty good.

Their live shows were insane tho.
>>
Didn't RHCP worship these guys?
>>
>>72109008
I'm surprised Christgau rated the albums so favorably, he seems like he wouldn't like them.
>>
>>72109068
No, but RHCP were butthole surfers themselves.
>>
>>72109068
I've never heard that, but it's probably true. Flea played with Gibby Haynes in P once so they're known friends.
>>
They're kind of proto-nu metal.
>>
>>72109068
>>72109142
They actually mention BS by name on One Hot Minute.
>>
>>72108916
>any deeper meanings.
How was middle school
>>
>>72109071
In the 80s, bands like these were a refreshing break from the stale, cliched hairspray MTV metal antics.

>>72109207
I agree, if you listen to Butthole Surfers, you can hear a lot of the sounds that went into Manson, Korn, Limp, etc.
>>
>>72109340
And some tracks like Butthole Surfer sound like pop punk.
>>
>>72108658
Why not both?
>>
>>72108658
meh, never really like them enough to hear a full album desu
>>
>>72109142
Flea was also in the video for Who Was In My Room Last Night iirc
>>
Neither.

Mostly they are boring.
>>
>>72108963
>caring what the self-declared dean of rock music has to say
No.
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>72111110
You would be correct, I think he was a bartender.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.