[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck? especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 7

can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?

especially in the guitar playing community
>>
>>72088285
>can we all agree
no
regardless of what comes after those four words, the answer is always no
>>
>>72088300
Not if those godforsaken liberals get their way
>>
>>72088323
yeah those darned liberals and their desire to end arguments.
>>
For Hendrix not to be overrated, his songs would pretty much have to make the lame walk and the blind see.
>>
>whammy bar meme nigger
>>
>>72088285
>can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?
top tier pleb post
>>
>>72088469
i don't think he is the greatest songwriter by any margin

his song were more pop-blues. if you want to compare it to rock n' roll then he was good but not good enough to call him greatest of all time
>>
>>72088285

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU
>>
>>72088285
he's not overrated as a guitarist. he's literally the GOAT electric guitar player. not a meme, just a fact.
>>
He played the guitar like no other, as if it were an extension of himself. No one is or ever will be on his level, theres no need to be upset about it.
>>
>>72088285
no
>>
>>72088515
He is the actual GOAT guitarist though, his production work was top notch, his charisma was palpable, and his compositions a decade ahead of their time.
>>
>>72088668
again, im not saying hendrix was shit.
he was a very very good artist, and by extension a guitar player
but saying he was GOAT just bothers me, especially after listening to various bands and singers over the years
>>
>>72088285
>can we all agree that clapton is overrated as fuck?
FTFY
>>
>>72089308
clapton is overrated too, but not in the same level as jimmy
>>
>>72088285
Often imitated
Never duplicated.
>>
Hendrix is one of those cliche's that's actually true. He is the greatest rock guitarist to ever live. I've yet to see someone get even close to blending rhythm and lead playing like he did. Anyone who disagrees doesn't play guitar or doesn't and a decently high level
>>
>>72089365
stevie ray vaughan?
>>
>>72089396
True, but Jimi did it first.
>>
>>72088285
He's the most underrated of the overrated though.
>>
I hate noodling, so personally I don't like him or any other rock guitarist.

counterpoint, counter melody and chord melody is what gets me going https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
>>
I will concede that he's overrated in the guitar playing community, but that's only because all dadrockers are overrated by the guitar playing community.
>>
I mean, you could argue people like clapton, beck, page, green, did the guitar heroism shenanigans before hendrix but we get it you cant play guitar for shit and you stick to the rudimentary scales and arpeggios but no excuse for the modern skill level to be barely above harrison who had to get clapton to do his solos

anyway the only person to carry albums based on his virtuoso musicianship, creativity, and transcension of rigid structures guitarists find themselves in

just because you play in 4.3/7 doesn't mean you played anything worth a shit

every note is supposed to mean something but blues is way beyond your comprehension if you cant even understand the psychedelic blues revivalism of the 60's , you want the three chord pop starlets of the 50's of the white man trying to kill black music by his spineless thievery and 2nd rate imitations
>>
>>72090131
psychedelic blues revivalism otherwise known as rock

you are garbage musicians, it's a hobby for you, stop talking like you know anything plox
>>
>>72089319
Clapton is far more overrated that Jimi.
Worst member of the best band he played in.
>>
Overrated in general

Michael Schenker is best guitar player
Made better songs
Still alive

WIN
>>
>>72090205
you probably prefer rumors era fleetwood mac dont you, you piece of a garbage
>>
>>72088300
It depends on how many people are "all", two folks can easily agree on something for instance
>>
>literally played guitar for 12 years with a 3-4 year main musicical career and still hasn't been topped

12 fucking years
>>
>>72090485
well he used to fall asleep playing guitar and wake up playing guitar
>>
>>72088437
I see that expression is still around from the other thread a couple of days ago.

Are we on to a new meme, perhaps?
>>
>can we all agree that hendrix is overrated as fuck?
fuck no. just listen to his music. the man mastered his instrument.
>>
>>72088285
He was a better guitarist than he was a singer. His singing is overrated
>>
He's probably over rated to people who don't play guitar.
If you start playing guitar you'll start to see his genius and appreciate his music a lot more.
Definitely not over rated.
>>
>>72090995
>>72090995
>>72090995
>>72090995
>>72090995
exactly this.

/thread

t. 10+ year guitarfag
>>
>>72089560
>I've never seen someone else do this
>this person did it
>but they did it after so it doesn't count
>>
>>72091841
>implying thats not how it works more or less
originality is important
>>
Only Zappa comes close. Zappa once "imitated" Jimi's playing in front of Jimi, whose jaw hit the floor.

Everyone else just repeats their pet licks over and over.
>>
>>72088728

This. He expanded tremendously guitar effects, so much so i would not hesitate to call his work revolutionary, in a career that spanned only a few albums no less
>>
He's probably the most influential electric guitar player of all time, and one of its most expressive and unique.

He was also very inventive with his production approach, and a good songwriter/arranger. But it's his guitar that sets him apart from everything else. If you need to be convinced of that, listen to Machine Gun.
>>
>>72088338
>end argument
>fake consensus
Pick one. Globalists amirite?
>>
>>72092537
>"globalist", "liberals"
Yeah that's cool kid. Now GTFO
>>
If I could bring one artist back from the dead, it would be Jimi Hendrix
>>
File: 1485931316315.png (2MB, 1107x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1485931316315.png
2MB, 1107x1076px
I think the that jimmi's talents lie as being a front man

then his singing skills

followed by his guitar skills

there's nothing technically [[[[hard]]]]] about the songs he plays however

*tasty riff blocks your path*
yeah momma now dig""

he has a really unique sound

jimmi was just one of those people who will be attached to the medium of music for ever like bach or something

very unique act
>>
>>72089267
>bands and singers
We're discussing guitar-playing. Within popular music, no other guitarist was as innovative, revolutionary, and influential as Hendrix -- and to think within a four-year period.
>>
>>72089396
SRV never reconciled or straddled as broad a range of styles. Hendrix's wielding of noise and feedback far eclipse any of the admittedly great blues playing of SRV (and Hendrix played blues better anyway)
>>
>>72092071
>Only Zappa comes close. Zappa once "imitated" Jimi's playing in front of Jimi, whose jaw hit the floor.
Sauce? Sounds like a fun anecdote
>>
>>72088285
Hendrix was great at music... I mean yeah, he's overrated in the sense that he's not literally some demigod, but he was great. His best stuff isn't even his most famous stuff... check out the 1983 suite or the studio version of Star Spangled Banner with multiple guitar layers
>>
>>72092981
>the studio version of Star Spangled Banner with multiple guitar layers
Can u link me?
>>
>>72088285
He made the guitar sound like it wasn't a guitar with barely any effects.

Fuck no.
>>
>>72093014
It's on this boxset. If you have Amazon Prime you can give it a listen i think
>>
>>72093014
>>72093206
Forgot link lol
https://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Box-Set/dp/B00307QWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491872648&sr=8-1&keywords=jimi+hendrix+box+set
>>
>>72090300
average blues rock <<<< pop perfection t b h
>>
>>72088285
can we all agree that you're an aids ridden faggot?

especially in the aids ridden faggot community
>>
>>72093014
It's the one that the other anon linked, from the 4-CD box set. I've never been able to find it on YouTube or any of the other standard sources, unfortunately.
>>
THE MORE I GROW IT'S LIKE THE LESS I KNOW. BUT IM PRETTY SURE JIMI HENDRIX HAD A BEAUTIFUL SOUL.
>>
>>72092641

What a gay post
>>
>>72088285
U must be a retarded
>>
Of course he's underrated, ignore all the underage meme posts who say he's not theyre literally here for memes and can't play a single chord themselves.

He's reddit's artist for the sole purpose that he's a darkie
>>
>>72094949
overrated*
>>
Jimi Hendrix is significant because his wild, abrasive, discordant, and cacophonous guitar playing ran antithetical to the rules of melody and harmony that had defined Western music for centuries.

His ritualistic and destructive performances would create and destroy an effigy representing the confusion and anxiety of 1960s American youth who were facing new questions of nationality and identity in turbulent times.

In exhausting the sounds of his instrument, he would transform the guitar into an intuitive extension of himself. Then the two are destroyed in sacrifice (the instrument is lit on fire).

The only other guitar player to come close in terms of synergy with and exhaustion of their instrument is Marc Ribot.
>>
>>72089365
>72089365
>>72089365
'

CHET
ATKINS

his shit literally sounds like it's multitracked

found out its single tracked and its like "heh you just never get to be that good, heh"
>>
>>72088300
As usual, first post best post.

>>72088323
It's always the liberals around here. Can't we ever find any Anarcho-collectivist folk to beat up?
>>
>>72090131
>blues is way beyond your comprehension
old blues yes. but anyone who rips blues or plays it at high speeds nowdays considered to be a blues player.
i swear the more i hear new blues artists the faster their playing gets, the fuck is this trend.
blues was already polished by the time hendrix hit the scene so i don't he wasn't all that creative for playing blues like power chords
>>
>>72090205
Cream?

I feel like all the members of cream were fairly on par with one another.
>>
Do any of you fuck face narcs even play an instrument or do you think you can accurately gauge music?
>>
>>72093314
wew lad
is this a touchy subject for you?
can you honestly say frank zappa,pink floyd aren't creative or technically sound as hendrix was?
>>
>>72096077
>frank zappa,pink floyd aren't creative or technically sound as hendrix was?

What does that have to do with Hendrix being overrated? Saying "X artist is bad because Y artist that sounds nothing like him exists and is talented" is the worst criticism ever.
>>
File: holdsworth2.png (304KB, 350x490px) Image search: [Google]
holdsworth2.png
304KB, 350x490px
>>72088728
>>72092334
>>72088668
>>72092680
>>72089365
>>72090937
Do yourself a favor and listen to Allan Holdsworth. He's reinvented his sound many times during his career - Soft Machine days, solo albums, U.K. His chord voicings and melodies are what most guitar players can't even dream of, forget actually playing. Here's a list of collaborations he's done:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
>>
>>72096113
im saying he might have lots of depth in his playing but overall his music wasn't better
>>
>>72088285
I used to think like you OP when I first got my guitar back in high school

I was wrong

He's the absolute GOAT instrumentalist
>>
>>72095289
Seconding Marc Ribot, I fucking love him.

Anyway, technically what set Hendrix apart was him pretty much playing rhythm/lead all the time in an expressionistic way, there was nothing like it and few artists after him did it. Also he was a great song writer with an extensive, naturalistic, encyclopedic knowledge of the music he played, and pushed the boundaries of studio rock music with his last two albums.
He was one of the first to pioneer the idea of the studio as an instrument, and really really took care working on Axis and Electric Ladyland.
>>
>>72096560
i'll check out your meme boy over here
>>
he's overrated, because so many people have copied him over the years
>>
>>72097327
>Everything is a meme
>Oh, boy, do I love the Internet
>>
he was a fucking genius, any other word to describe him is falling short
>>
no, and anyone who says so is just trying to be edgy bc deep down they know its not true. as far as talent and creativity goes, jimi is a fucking legend.
>>
Probably rated just right. Most 20th century musicians are rated just right.
>>
>>72088285
All popular musicians tend to be overrated by the public themselves.
>>
File: richarddjames.jpg (140KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
richarddjames.jpg
140KB, 500x654px
what was the last great musician we've had? was it Aphex Twin?
>>
>>72098389
>see a post sperging about a musician
>someone took the time to recommend this guy and link their rym
>might as well check him out
>type that i will check out said recommended musician so they don't think no one gave a shit
>decide to call said musician a "meme boy" as an offhand remark while saying i will listen to him
>autist spergs out about me using the word meme
>makes reddit-tier greentext
>respond with self-aware reddit-tier green text
>>
>>72098782
That's some effort you don't see very often.
6/10
>>
>>72088285
He's the absolute GOAT
>>
Whether you like it or not, he reinvented rock guitar using excessive loudness and feedback. He also was forward thinking with production in his time. People that call him whammy bar meme nigger probably pretend the kinks or stones were good or that he didnt blow the who out of the water
>>
Can we all agree that OP should be anally raped by a bulldozer?
>>
File: hendrix.jpg (217KB, 1379x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hendrix.jpg
217KB, 1379x1000px
>this guy
>overrated
Uncultured plebs
>>
>>72088285
hell no

he's rated just right: as a legend
>>
>>72096560
Explain how soft machine peaked before he even joined
>>72101497
Kek, poor mans thugger desu
>>
>>72101340
>Whether you like it or not, he reinvented rock guitar using excessive loudness and feedback.
stole it all from the who
>>
>>72098585
Mozart
>>
File: 1490090222639.jpg (306KB, 767x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1490090222639.jpg
306KB, 767x1041px
>>72088323
checkmate libtards
>>
>>72102016
>Explain how soft machine peaked before he even joined
I was trying to make people listen to him. I think he's not very well known and not appreciated enough for his contributions to the instrument.
>>
>>72088668
>>72088728
>>72089365
>>72090937
>>72090995
>>72092334
>>72092467
>>72098394
I feel like I'm walking into a room of dads circlejerking over the 'good old days'
>>
>>72102031
Maybe live shticks but fucking on record hell no. Listen to voodoo chile or machine gun, he made waves of sustain that went beyond rock n roll guitar licks and riffs.
>>
>>72102280
(You)
>>
>>72102280
Sorry about your poor relationship with your father anon

I hope you and him can finally talk again one day
>>
Prince did everything he did better
>>
>>72103728
Both are overrated actually
>>
>>72103735
>Prince
>overrated
only Purple Rain is overrated.
>>
File: image.jpg (257KB, 1650x1100px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257KB, 1650x1100px
Buckethead
>>
Hendrix is overrated, but not much. He is one of the best, however, calling anyone the best is impossible.
>>
>>72103893
he makes music for people who jerk off to fast solos
>>
You can hear what Jim was visualising when he's playing his more complex solos, listen to Train a Comin.

If that doesn't make him pretty special I don't know what does.

You either know what that's about or don't.

I think most of the best musicians lean heavily into the visualspatial part of the brain to 'compose' their music. Rich James is another example.
>>
>>72102335
he asked the Who for advice on equipment
>>
>jimi plays guitar left handed utilizing his basketball playing sized hands to play unique rifts someone only of his physicaly prowess could play
>overrated

know something about guitars first pal-o
>>
Christgau called him "the greatest guitarist in any medium ever" and he's a tough guy to impress due to being not a big fan of guitar virtuosi.

But you do have to put Hendrix in a late 1960s context which was at a time when Chuck Berry had been the gold standard of electric guitar and imagine how mindbending he sounded.
>>
>>72105994
Jimi was a big fan of The Who, you're correct. In fact he got the idea to set guitars on fire from watching them destroy their instruments on stage.
>>
>>72088285
No. He was a great musician and songwriter. He deserves to be remembered and respected for that.

>especially in the guitar playing community
This is actually true. People worshipping Hendrix as a god and only focusing on his solos and shit takes attention away from the fact that he was a great songwriter and that the bassist and drummer for the Experience were great musicians too.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.