[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start on classical music? What are the best recordings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: classical-music.jpg (82KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
classical-music.jpg
82KB, 750x400px
Where do I start on classical music? What are the best recordings of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.?
>>
Listen to Edda Moser singing Mozart arias, and maybe Dvorak's 9th symphony.
>>
moses und aron by schoenberg
>>
gerard grisey
>>
Play an instrument. Listen to pieces as you try to learn them. Eventually you'll just develop a taste for it.
>>
>>72071865
Or just buy good headphones and listen to that one piece you heard on TV that wasn't obviously O Fortuna.
>>
Like with most arts, its best to ease your way backward through the ages of popular music and allow your natural enjoyment for refined elements to dictate you taste.

Jumping straight into 18th century masters is likely to just overwhelm you and give you a distaste. Go backward from modern classical elements found in popular-ish from the 20th century, and then 19th, and so on.

Avoid jazz, though, its actually harmful for appreciating classical composition and structure.

If lyrics significantly increase your enjoyment, start with early 20th century musicals, then operetta and opera. Don't ever force yourself too hard for any one thing, just move to something adjacent and come back to it later. Music is foremost about enjoyment and pleasure not being a stuck up prick.
>>
>>72071865
MASS IN B MINOR
JS BACH
>>
>>72072510
This is very interesting. This is how I developed a taste for classical it was like a natural evolution after listening to vast amounts of 20th century music
>>
>>72072584
I have the same opinion on film and literature. A lot of it is re-hashings of even older works, but adjusted to popular tastes. Its pretty enjoyable having "ahah" moments when you find an older (and usually better) presentation of something you were already familiar with.

Starting from the beginning is the opposite of enjoyable to my way of thinking. Since you can't enjoy it in such a raw, alien form you get a bad impression and at the same time later works in a similar vein feel dumbed down and over-processed for the normie masses.

That just leads to being a cynical asshole who enjoys nothing.
>>
>>72072284
^ pretty much this and no OP dont be a cheat and start with a guitar thats too easy.

anyway downlaod everything by J. Heifetz guy was a genious.
>>
>>72072510
>Avoid jazz, though, its actually harmful for appreciating classical composition and structure.
Howso?
>>
stravinsky
>>
File: Classical Starter Kit.jpg (645KB, 2374x568px) Image search: [Google]
Classical Starter Kit.jpg
645KB, 2374x568px
http://www.classical.net/music/rep/top.php
>>
>>72073321
its feelsy jungle "music" invented by plantation Negroes with absolutely no foundation in western musical aesthetics. Of course its evolved a bit since then but its still very incompatible to classical appreciation. If anything its a major reason why its so hard to enjoy classical music in the first place because its infiltrated 95% of 20th and 21st century music. Even shit that isn't jazz follows the jazz method of seducing people into a fever of feeling with little regard to the actual merits of the composition, structure, and quality of the piece.

Its trying to appreciate French cuisine by eating heroin coated potato chips.
>>
>>72073428
Funny thing is that both are viewed similarly by people who enjoy neither. Stuffy intellectual music.
>>
>>72073428
(I'll bite) Dude, have you ever listened to Jazz?
>>
>>72073428
>method of seducing people into a fever of feeling with little regard to the actual merits of the composition, structure, and quality of the piece.
>>
>>72073488
>Stuffy intellectual music
>jazz

I'll never understand how that meme started. Up till the 50s Jazz was considered a major source of moral disintegration. I swear to god if hip-hop ever gets such a reputation I will burn down L.A.

>>72073506
Have you? Do you even know what non-Jazz influenced music sounds like?

>>72073509
Thanks for compliment.
>>
>>72073428
Huh, funny. I wasn't able to into classical music much when I was younger, but I think listening to a lot of jazz music is what gave me an appreciation for classical music. I didn't listen to either growing up, but I started getting into jazz and I think developing an ear for following/appreciating the intent of a musician over long, often dissonant melodic phrases, hearing interraction between the soloist/ensemble and getting used to hearing longer songs based on more complex rhythm and harmony than the pop music I grew up with is what facilitated me being able to enjoy classical music.
>>
>>72073545
>I'll never understand how that meme started. Up till the 50s Jazz was considered a major source of moral disintegration. I swear to god if hip-hop ever gets such a reputation I will burn down L.A.

When liberal white people co-opted it.

So yeah, if you don't think that's going to happen to hip-hop (and already is, with current names), you're fucking retarded.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.