[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Black Sabbath the most influential band of the past 50 years?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: ozzy osbourne insane 470x300.jpg (34KB, 470x300px) Image search: [Google]
ozzy osbourne insane 470x300.jpg
34KB, 470x300px
Is Black Sabbath the most influential band of the past 50 years? Not only did they create an entirely new genre of music, but they also affected the direction that rock went in the 80s and 90s, inspiring underground bands like Black Flag, which would spur on the grunge movement, which bought about all the buttrock in the 00's and then a return to form with modern bands like QOTSA and Mastodon. Without Sabbath there would be no Nirvana or anything like them, which would mean glam never died, which would mean that Skynet would have destroyed humanity in a nuclear holocaust and the machines would reign supreme

Is Tony Iommi actually John Connor?
>>
Probably
>>
>>71997099
It is true that they are immensly influential. But i would to say the most influential group in the past 50 years would be The Velvet Underground.
>>
If you dont think the Beatles are the most infulentual band you are delusional. There is no denying Sabbath and VU are very influential but lets be real here.
>>
>>71997099
that's all purely deterministic
>>
>>71997099
I would say yes
I'm not a fan of them but they changed the game
>>
Black Sabbath, Neu! or The Velvet Underground. Pick one, all 3 are correct in overwhelming amounts of influence
>>
File: MI0001852093.jpg (28KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001852093.jpg
28KB, 500x493px
>>71997099
>Black Sabbath invented heavy metal
Try again.
>>
>>71997376
Velvet Underground? Litterally who?
I can't even name one song by VU
Sabbath all the bay bro!
>>
File: R-2760318-1348302694-7084.jpeg.jpg (15KB, 300x284px) Image search: [Google]
R-2760318-1348302694-7084.jpeg.jpg
15KB, 300x284px
Sabbath is very influential in metal. However I can think of albums that had more influence.

Pic related
>>
>>71997995

Don't albums have to be good to be influential though, or is this the exception to the rule?
>>
the older and older i get the more and more i realize this, black sabbath had 100x the influence on underground music than the Beatles or Rolling Stones ever did

>>71997995
if you read into this album at all they were literally just trying to make an english version of the first ramones record

its great as far as punk records go, but placing the sex pistols above the ramones should be a crime
>>
>>71998019
Funny.

Even if you don't like it you can't deny it's influence. And personally, I think it's great.
>>
>>71997995
Influenced what?
Fag-182?
>>
>>71997099
>>71997376
>>71997491
I mean how do you even quantify "most influential"? Sabbath, Beatles, and VU just influenced in different directions.
>>
>>71998162
Sex Pistols' concert of 4 June 1976 at Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall was to become one of the most significant and mythologised events in rock history. Among the audience of forty people or so were many who became leading figures in the punk and post-punk movements: Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto, who organised the gig and were in the process of auditioning new members for the Buzzcocks; Bernard Sumner, Ian Curtis and Peter Hook, later of Joy Division; Mark E. Smith, later of the Fall; and Morrissey, later of the Smiths. Anthony H. Wilson, founder of Factory Records, saw the band for the first time at the return engagement on 20 July – A stylised version of his view of the concert appears in the film 24 Hour Party People.[60] Among the many musicians of a later time who have acknowledged their debt to the Pistols are members of Motörhead, NOFX,[210] the Stone Roses,[211][212] Nirvana,[213] Social Distortion, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Bad Religion, the Germs, Green Day,[197] the Jesus and Mary Chain,[214] and Oasis.[215] Mike Ness of Social Distortion
>>
>>71998109

It is influential I suppose but nowhere near as much as the other bands listed prior.
>>
File: SabbathPeasant.png (2MB, 615x1643px) Image search: [Google]
SabbathPeasant.png
2MB, 615x1643px
>>71997099
I got dubs on this so that means it's true
>>
>>71997920
Ye, King Crimson were definitely the first to do the metals.

and I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that tony iommi is in fact John Connor
>>
>>71997920
>Black Sabbath invented heavy metal

OP never said this, just that they "invented a new genre" which is true. they invented Doom Metal you massive literal faggot
>>
>>71998760
Sure, but that's irrelevant. Doom metal is a subsection of heavy metal, which is way more relevant in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>71998540
>Ye, King Crimson were definitely the first to do the metals.

If anything, it was proto-metal.
>>
>>71997099
>yes
>no

I think that settles this.
>>
>>71997920
>>71998540
Nah, Led Zeppelin did it first
>>
>>71997099
Zeppelin moreso, & i listen to sabbath the most
>>
>>71997491
As far as influence on pop music goes, Kraftwerk and The Beatles are two obvious bands.
>>
>>71997491
Not disagreeing, just wanting to clarify. They changed the studio album and the way albums are perceived/made, whereas Sabbath and TVU were more musically influential for sure.
>>
>>71997099
>bought about all the buttrock in the 00's and then a return to form with modern bands like QOTSA and Mastodon.
QOTSA are buttrock pioneers you historically illiterate stupid son of a fuck.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.