[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://scaruffi.com/ As many of you, Piero Scaruffi is an I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3099.gif (951KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3099.gif
951KB, 500x452px
http://scaruffi.com/

As many of you, Piero Scaruffi is an Italian music critic who has become known for his rather... unique taste (some describe it as "patrician"). He is also known for his stingy rating scale, really not liking the Beatles and adoring Captain Beefheart. All around polarising figure, he brings up some interesting questions.

What attracted my attention when I came upon Scaruffi was that he gave a very different perspective to music compared to most music critics, and shed light to some of the more obscure records of the 60's and 70's. On the other hand, he is also rather critical to some generally acclaimed records. I'm still rather critical towards most of his reviews though, as there is an obvious bias towards older 'influential' records.

Do you think people like Scaruffi have a place in modern music criticism? Are his reviews unbiased truths or pretentious ramblings of an old man? Do you think that other critics in the industry should take note of what he's doing? Your personal opinion of him?
>>
>>>r/letstalkmusic
>>
at least his taste is somewhat unique and original unlike all the other reviewers who get paid off by record labels
>>
>>71984970
>modern music criticism
>unbiased truths
>relying on critics
this smells like scary poopy for big bois
>>
File: 1490767852898.png (311KB, 842x474px) Image search: [Google]
1490767852898.png
311KB, 842x474px
Is Samuel Andreyev the pre-eminent music critic of our time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
>>
new reviews when?
>>
>>71985331
whenever he accidentally listens to an album in its entirety
>>
He has good taste in music but his political writing has gotten fucking unhinged since Trump's election. Reads like sensational tabloid articles lol
>>
>>71985046
He actually produces useful and valuable content
>>
>>71985447
This. You don't have to like Trump to see that Scaruffi is falling apart.
For a good giggle, check out his writings on "history." He literally tries to justify fascism in Italy.
>>
>>71984970
I suppose as far as "rock criticism" goes he's probably one of the better critics, but it's pretty obvious that he goes out of his way to be contrarian.

Compared to real critics (classical and jazz critics) his writings are pretty laughable. Notice how he almost always tries to avoid talking about the actual music (other than maybe a couple odd adjectives) but instead focuses almost entirely on the cultural impact and context of the music. Whenever he does try to talk about classical or jazz it always ends up being cringeworthy.
>>
http://scaruffi.com/facebooklike
If your name isn't on this list you will never be patrician
>>
>>71985816
What the fuck is that? Is it just a list of random people?
>>
>>71985692
>Notice how he almost always tries to avoid talking about the actual music (other than maybe a couple odd adjectives) but instead focuses almost entirely on the cultural impact and context of the music.

This is wrong.
>>
>>71985878
Can you post 5 (five) examples of him actually discussing the music itself in any depth beyond a few simple adjectives?

Note: listing influences does not count as in-depth discussion
>>
>>71985977

Just read his Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, Faust, Pere Ubu, or Royal Trux pages (some of his favourite artists). There are plenty of times he goes in depth about the themes of an album and how the music reflects them.

My guess is that you only read reviews for some inane pop albums Scaruffi couldn't discuss in depth because there is no depth to trivial pop music.
>>
>>71986149
I've read those ones before and while I'll admit that he does at least briefly talk about things like melody, harmony, form, and rhythm, it still seems like the vast majority of his reviews talk about influence and cultural significance.

And as you mentioned, those are his absolute favorite artists and his descriptions of the music in these cases seem to be the exception, and definitely not the rule.
>>
SirAlecHendrix > Turny > Scaruffi >>>>>> Fantano
>>
>>71985816
>tfw I'm on the list
:)
>>
>>71986322
>it still seems like

There's that phrase of vague reasoning again. Anything "seems like" anything.

Now unless you're a true scaruffite, unless you've read thousands of his pages (not just the music ones), have listened to all his 7 and higher rated albums, have watched his favourite movies and read his favourite books, have grappled with his philosophy, and have personally corresponded with scaruffi through email, then don't fucking talk about him ever again.
>>
>>71986377
I don't ''review'' anything.
>>
>>71986377
>Turny
lmao
>>
>>71986525
Out of curiosity, how many of my top 10 albums have you actually listened to?
>>
>>71986572
What are your top 10 albums
>>
I like ragging on how ridiculously precious Scruff is but apart from that he has a very odd interpretation of events in music history. Like he seems to think Pere Ubu are extremely influential for some reason despite how poorly their records sold and how no one listens to them.

I'm glad he exists but he's clearly just a guy with a lot of time on his hands

>>71985977
And the overwhelming majority of his writing is no better than Fantano's but I don't know whether I can blame that on his poor writing or the sheer quantity of it
>>
>>71986767
Top of my head

Kid Koala - Live At The Knitting Factory, 2003
4hero - Two Pages
Mark De Clive-Lowe - Tides Arising
Smoove & Turrell - Antique Soul
Erikm - Zygosis
Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Flow Dynamics - Flow Dynamics
The Prodigy - Experience
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Tom Waits - Small Change
>>
Fuck Scruff
>>
>>71986938
I think he's got a very contrarian and warped outlook on history in general. For Christ's sake, he literally states that fascist Italy wasn't brutal at all and that people were treated well there.
>>
le italian plumber man BTFO'd
https://factorysunburst.wordpress.com/2014/08/31/piero-scaruffi-and-truth/
>>
>If you live in the Bay Area and want to join my mailing list for hiking, email me (and tell me something about yourself).

Why haven't any of you gone hiking with him yet?
>>
>>71985850
>>71985816
Thats the hiking list.
>>
File: rrey152.jpg (19KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
rrey152.jpg
19KB, 500x375px
>ywn sleep in a tent on a hiking trip with thee Scaruffi
>>
>>71987379
Scaruffi isn't nearly as knowledgeable as he thinks he is
most of his write-ups on history are laughable at best
>>
>>71984970
I think he is the single greatest rock critic of our time. He certainly has flaws (don't look st his politics section) but he knows rock music pretty damn well.
>>
Reminder that Scaruffi has literally never been wrong.
>>
File: 1473507936671.png (505KB, 1075x576px) Image search: [Google]
1473507936671.png
505KB, 1075x576px
he really likes refrigerators
>>
>>71985005
>"I know the names of all the subreddits that I totally do not lurk myself, hehe... "
first post worst post, consider suicide my man
>>
>>71985433
This
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.