[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/, I just listened to this album twice and I really enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Frances_the_Mute.png (147KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
Frances_the_Mute.png
147KB, 318x313px
Hey /mu/, I just listened to this album twice and I really enjoyed it, so I want to discuss it. I'd never listened to any album by TMV before, but I'm going to now.
I'll admit I have no idea what the fuck the lyrics say, but from what I've heard they're "pretentious" and I don't want to ruin the album for myself by finding out it's true.
The only part I'm not a fan of is the end of Miranda where it was just a bass and what sounded like guitar tuning. The rest of the album was mostly good though. I'd give it a 7.5-8
What do you guys think about it?
>>
i prefer the first album
>>
>mtv
mars the volta
>>
>>71943875
>pretentious
esoteric, I'd say. But this could come across as pretentious, It is a delicate balance, but they definitly have pulled it off. Next try DeLoused in the Comatorium.
>>
TMV more like MTV sellouts haha get it
>>
>>71943875
listen to Amputechture
>>
File: 1470677320623.jpg (36KB, 305x551px) Image search: [Google]
1470677320623.jpg
36KB, 305x551px
>>71943912
>>71943916
I'll give that one a try, thanks
I guess I might as well look up the lyrics while I'm at it too
>>71943922
Nice meme
>>
>>71943875
Title track was shit
>4 minutes of a bell ringing
>2 minutes of song
>2 minutes of more nothing
>>
>>71943875
2/10.
>>
>>71943875

This is my single favorite album of all time and more people really need to hear it.
>>
>>71944048

Title track isn't even on the album.
>>
the lyrics are a mess because they're mostly made up, they're meant to fill more of an instrumental role

though supposedly they were written based on a diary one of the guys found in a used car he bought
>>
>>71943916
>>71944137

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind with basically all TMV lyrics is that Cedric first just sings gibberish during the writing process to figure out roughly how the vocals will go and then matches deliberately abstract lines to that. Most of the albums do have a clear narrative (well, maybe not a clear one, but a narrative) but the purpose of the lyrics themselves is to evoke an atmosphere and sound cool rather than to actually inform the listener about anything in particular.
>>
>>71944215
>the purpose of the lyrics themselves is to evoke an atmosphere and sound cool rather than to actually inform the listener about anything in particular.
exactly. To that end, I think Bedlam in Goliath had their best lyricism.
>>
>>71944580

I could get behind that, it's my second favorite album of theirs and that's a big reason for it.
>>
>>71943912
>>71943916
Listened to de-loused
Didn't like it as much. It wasn't bad but it's missing something FTM has
Strong 6
>>
I liked it a lot more than De-Loused, it was really enjoyable start to finish.

I heard a lot of the lyrics were actually just stream-of-consciousness, so don't worry about your retarded friend who felt inferior for not understanding them.
>>
>>71945034
Yeah that's probably Rick Rubin's fault more than The Mars Volta's though. Without his interference De-loused would probably be better than Frances.
>>
>>71944069
kek this
>>
Octahedron has always been my favourite. It's an unpopular opinion but I got into them originally back when I was about 15 and my music taste was very basic. Because it's a lot more accessible it allowed me to get into it and work backwards and eventually get into all of their albums.

I think people don't like it because they went into it expecting something as crazy as the rest of their work. If you take it as basically an acoustic-rock album which it more or less is, it's a fantastic record.

Luciforms is one of the best album closers of all time imo.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 240x240px
Is this a good album?

Tracklist:
01 – Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)
02 – The Widow
03 – Vermicide
04 – With Twilight As My Guide
05 – Goliath
06 – Cotopaxi
07 – Aegis
08 – Luciforms
09 – Televators
10 – Ouroborous
11 – Concertina
>>
>>71945034
wut.

Deloused is objectively their best album, followed by FTM.
>>
>>71945451
Needs to end with Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt.
>>
>>71945472
>Deloused is objectively their best album
and taste is subjective, so SHUT UP AUTIST
>>
>>71945472
I disagree and hold my belief that Deloused is a strong 6 whereas Francis is a strong 8
>>
>>71944215
Also that Cedric was heavily inspired by dark comedies like The League of Gentlemen when writing lyrics. He intended a lot of the absurd lyrics people say are pretentious to be humorous, which is a shame.
The lyrics for Eriatarka say it all really.

>Trackmarked amoeba lands craft.
>Cartwheel of scratches.
>Dress the tapeworm as pet.

People who believe these lyrics were intended to be deep and pretentious are really just looking too much into it to dislike the band. It's humour for the most part.
>>
>>71946281
Agreed, some ppl will kind of just label anything besides fire/desire as "pretentious" without any thought though.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.